Waiting at Red Lights

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kagrenak
Noob
Noob

Waiting at Red Lights

Post by Kagrenak »

Every time I pull up to a red light with no other car nearby, nothing happens. The light doesn't operate on its normal timer, as the scooter doesn't have enough metal to trip the inductor loop, is there any way of fixing this?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Waiting at Red Lights

Post by Lunytune »

We have the same problem with gates at the lake. The Elite, even two Elites will not trip it. Interestingly, my Helix will trip it. So is it mass or weight? Solution? I don't know. Run the light?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

most lights usually work off of magnetic induction. I have heard of people strapping a small medium rare earth magnet to the frame of the scoot to help with this. I have never tried it though...
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Good question, i'm on the outskirts of Kalamazoo where we have cameras/sensors mounted by the lights and that's what senses/sees the vehicle. Even my Elite.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

There are VERY few lights that are still magnet triggered.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

no one around=run it
capturedbyrobots
Goped
Goped

Post by capturedbyrobots »

In my area, sometimes I can see the cut out in the street where they put the pressure sensors.
I try to ride over them, and give a good jump up and down to trigger them.
Usually it works.
The light designers did not think about scooters when they made them. :(
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

s***. i never knew street lights were so complicated. i always thought that they were on a timer. lol
Kagrenak
Noob
Noob

Post by Kagrenak »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:There are VERY few lights that are still magnet triggered.
Come to Lowell, MA; it's almost every light that uses them around here, and they're all the less sensitive single coil type, too.

I'll try getting a neodymium magnet for my scooter soon. I've also heard that operating the starter motor works in much the same fashion, seeing as it's an electric motor that generates a magnetic field. Does anyone know if there would there be extra wear because of doing this?
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

So where is the technology now? I don't know what it is, but I do know the gate at the lake won't sense the 80-90 lb Elite but it senses the 350 lb Helix and ATV's. I can run redlights and have done so on one that had difficulty reading a car if you hit it at the wrong time, like right behind another car which made it through the light. Like I say, I don't mind running a light, but can't overcome the gate.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

oh man since the 90s i have had to make a right turn then u turn then right turn.........or just run it hahhahah
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

toboggan wrote:s***. i never knew street lights were so complicated. i always thought that they were on a timer. lol
Some do.
Kagrenak wrote:
Come to Lowell, MA; it's almost every light that uses them around here, and they're all the less sensitive single coil type, too.

I'll try getting a neodymium magnet for my scooter soon. I've also heard that operating the starter motor works in much the same fashion, seeing as it's an electric motor that generates a magnetic field. Does anyone know if there would there be extra wear because of doing this?
I would not recommend doing that, it will grind the gears. Here in Jackson County MI there is only one magnet triggered light, and anything short of a semi truck wont trigger it reliably(I have sat there 5 minute before saying f*** it in a 2000 Malibu). I think it was put in back in the day when car bodies were as thick as today's frames.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

The lights in our town are camera operated.

Just put your bike up on the center stand and walk over to the corner and push the crosswalk button. :lol:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

This topic made the rounds in the HD Fora. Yellarosa uses cameras all over town. They work great until they get dirty, which is often. Deepinnaharta has no cameras but those square cutouts at the Stop lines of all the intersections betray the vehicle sensors. Two corners in particular are annoying, although I found if I park with the Aero engine squarely in the center of the cutout my presence is sometimes recognized. On one occasion when I sat through a whole light cycle without seeing green I have actually moved aside and invited a car behind to pull up and cover the sensor.

Several states have enacted laws permitting motorcyclists to proceed through the intersection after certain criteria are met - a full cycle of light sequences, 2 minutes of waiting or whatever. Then the burden of safety responsibility is placed on the bike crossing against the red; "must proceed with all due prudence..." or language to that effect. Needless to say, if you cause a wreck you're screwed. But theoretically you can't be ticketed if you meet all the requirements.

I don't even know what the rules are here in Texas, let alone other states. I'm typing this from the saddle of my Aero. I've been sitting here at the corner of Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry streets since a week from last Thursday. I'm running out of gas and I really need to pee... :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

surprisingly enough, ive heard CA has a similar rule, proceed cautiously after such a time, only for motorcycles. huh. dont know if its true or not, but i have heard it.