Carb screws stuck and/or crazy

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

adark248
Elite
Elite

Carb screws stuck and/or crazy

Post by adark248 »

On my new Spree the carb seems to have been rigged by a lazy monkey.

The throttle stop screw (top) is probably from a different bike, it's sticking way out and the spring is exposed, but the spring is too big to be turned into the carb body... how far into the carb throat should the screw stick turned all the way in?

My big problem is the air screw. It is stuck... majorly. I got out the widest screwdriver I had and tried to turn it but the corner of the slit cracked off like nothing. It seems really soft. I'm affraid to try to turn it any more. Can I soak it in carb cleaner and dislodge that screw? Or should I just buy another carb and keep this one as an emergency backup? If I can soak it what is a good brand of liquid carb cleaner and where can I get it? I have an Autozone and Walmart nearby, but that's about it.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Wheelman-111

Re: Carb screws stuck and/or crazy

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's been a while since I've examined/handled a stock carb, but if memory serves the throttle stop screw always protrudes and the spring remains exposed. If you sight down the carb throat you should be able to see the throttle slide move ever so slightly as you turn the idle speed adjustment screw in or out.
what is a good brand of liquid carb cleaner and where can I get it? I have an Autozone
Just about any carb cleaner should do the job. Time is the thing. I had to soak mine for 2 whole days before the throttle slide would even move. If this has happened to your idle mixture screw, I'd think it's not the only stuck item in your carb.
I got out the widest screwdriver I had and tried to turn it
With the correct-sized screwdriver, you should be able to move the screw after a few hours' soaking. Remember it too has a spring behind it - be careful not to lose it - and some Forumistas believe that certain Spree models should also have a tiny o-ring and washer back there. (Maybe that's why it's gummed/stuck so tight...?)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
adark248
Elite
Elite

Re: Carb screws stuck and/or crazy

Post by adark248 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

It's been a while since I've examined/handled a stock carb, but if memory serves the throttle stop screw always protrudes and the spring remains exposed.
ORLY? Ok. My Aero isn't like that so I got confused. I thought they'd be more similar than they are. I can't tell much from the Tech Docs since the pictures are so dark, but I'll look it over again.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree