Where to find Gyro tires size 4.50-6 or equivalent?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Where to find Gyro tires size 4.50-6 or equivalent?

Post by bradthreee »

I went to the dealer today and they can't get them. Also did a google search and didn't find much. There was one chinese company but they went out of business. Any help toward the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brad
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Where to find Gyro tires size 4.50-6 or equivalent?

Post by mousewheels »

First Gyro I got 4 yrs ago had one odd tire, a knobby diamond tread tire labeled 'not for highway use'. It got thrown away... But in the past year or so, OEM tires have dried out. I do remember the tire fit the rim fine, but was a little smaller dia. I've seen some bikes on eBay showing up with knobbies too, so I believe we can find something that will work.

Check out this place, they have lots of tires in small sizes.
http://www.specialtytirestore.com/go_kart_tires.htm
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Kart slicks will suck * on anything but dry road. You need 14x4.5-6 tires, you can use square profile tires on the rear, front needs a MC tire as it needs to bite at an angle.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

[quote="Kenny_McCormick]Kart slicks will suck * on anything but dry road. You need 14x4.5-6 tires, you can use square profile tires on the rear, front needs a MC tire as it needs to bite at an angle.[/quote]

Yeah good point, It's not clear that these are slicks, but wouldn't want them. Son and I had a good time on some drift karts. Not fast karts, 5hp or so Hondas. They had slicks and watered the track. Everything was set up so well anyone could drift around the oval track. We had a blast!

Explore that link to the site awhile. There's lawn tires and atv tires in the range too. They might not be highway rated. That's one of the reasons I threw away the knobby on my first Gyro. The Golf cart tires could be interesting if we made adapters, and could live with tradeoffs of no plastic and slower take off (tires I'm talking about are 18" dia)

Front tire is no problem to get in a MC. Bradthree was not asking but if anyone wants to know its a 3.00 x 10.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

At 30 mph I wouldn't worry too much about speed rating/dot approval so long as it gets a good grip.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Yeah McC thats what I was thinking about those go kart tires. I need something with some tread and would be safe rolling around at 30 mph speed max. Well I guess come to think of it I dont plan riding on wet roads so maybe those tires could be another option if I don't find the ones I need.
Mouse, adaptors would be the business. I've seen a few Gyros from Japan in pics and they ride on ATV wheels. Some type of conversion would be ideal. Either wheels that bolt on (maybe an 84 Gyro?) or adapters.
Just a thought but I know the Ruckus guys use an adapter off of some other scoot (SYM i think) that bolts onto the shaft to run those wide rear tires. What do you think?
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

they have drift slicks for karts, they are super hard, and they run them on a polished concrete track. fun as s***! just like would a gyro with slicks on the street!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

bradthree wrote:Mouse, adaptors would be the business. I've seen a few Gyros from Japan in pics and they ride on ATV wheels. Some type of conversion would be ideal. Either wheels that bolt on (maybe an 84 Gyro?) or adapters.
Just a thought but I know the Ruckus guys use an adapter off of some other scoot (SYM i think) that bolts onto the shaft to run those wide rear tires. What do you think?
Haven't looked at other scooter's adapters. We need to find one with small dia drums - found that out trying an '87 Aero50 rear wheel.

The 84 Gyro drum binds on the 85/86 case casting, but it might be an easy fix. For that style of wheel, a Spree rear might fit, but I don't have one - can you give that a try??
scooterwerx wrote:they have drift slicks for karts, they are super hard, and they run them on a polished concrete track. fun as s***! just like would a gyro with slicks on the street!
:) :)
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

After a little research on wikipedia it seems that Japanese Gyro models like the X and Canopy also run a 6 inch rear tire. They use a 130/90-6 tires. Unfortunately it seems that those are a japanese only tire. Anything similar to that size in the US market?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Our stock tire size 4.50 x 6 denotes 4.5" wide, 6" rim. The overall dia is about 14.5".

The 13 x 500 x 6 will find many hits, in different tread styles, here are sample
tire candidates in garden tractor style tires (flat profile with tread).

For a look at the tread pattern, check this link out
http://gokartsusa.com/turfsavertires.aspx

13 x 500 x 6 {4.4" wide, 12.8" dia, 6" rim} ---- might fit under the stock Gyro fender, dia will be smaller, cutting top speed a bit.
13 x 650 x 6 is {6" wide, 12.5 dia, 6" rim} --- too wide
15 x 600 x 6 is (6" wide, 14.8 dia, 6" rim} --- too wide
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Bradthree found a good replacement size - 5.30 x 4.50 x 6. Thanks Bradthree :2thumbs:

A recent Gyro purchase came with a set of 5.30 x 4.50 tires. Dia and width wise, this is close, and fits under the stock plastic. The tire label says "HWA Fong", along with "Not for highway use".

Search around for a good price/tread/mfg. Links below are just examples.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/show_s ... gory_id=16
http://mgrassroots.com/carlisleStud.html
Gyro_Tire1.JPG
Gyro_Tire1.JPG (15.27 KiB) Viewed 9779 times
Pic below shows a worn OEM Dunlop tire on the right.
Gyro_Tire2.JPG
Gyro_Tire2.JPG (28.08 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
Gyro_Tire3.jpg
Gyro_Tire3.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 9781 times
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Also Mouse for those looking to upgrade the rear wheels to either 10 or 12 inch, these seem to be the spacers needed.

Furthurmore, check out these wheel options!

Keep checking out the site. If the Gyro X shares the same motor as our US Gyro, there is tons of stuff available like BBK's...
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

bradthreee wrote:Also Mouse for those looking to upgrade the rear wheels to either 10 or 12 inch, these seem to be the spacers needed.

Furthurmore, check out these wheel options!

Keep checking out the site. If the Gyro X shares the same motor as our US Gyro, there is tons of stuff available like BBK's...
DROOL

kinda makes me wish i had a gyro
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

bradthree and drizzle - thanks! Those are very nice. I'd like to do that sometime.

Here's a Roadfox pic with custom wheels and fenders. We'd be looking sharp with new wheels.
Attachments
Yellow_RoadFox.jpg
Yellow_RoadFox.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 9703 times
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I agree mouse. It wouldn't take much to make these Gyros really turn heads. @ least more than they already do. I think all it'll take is some nice wheels and a clean paint job.

I already sourced that 8" front JDM wheel from wheelman back in the day off his DJ-1 partout but am really wanting to find a way to put those 4 lug wheels on there. I'm going off a hunch with those adapters as if you can tell by the pic they are a 6 lug. I know Honda has many parts that interchange and it just turns out that the later Gyros run a 6 lug? I'll bet that Honda-San's 3 bolts of the road fox will fit within the 6 holes of the gyro X.

It'll be a $100+ bet but I think I am willing to do it when I get a little more funds.

Or maybe just use that $100 towards chroming the wheels like that guy in the pic...

BTW any more pics of that Road Fox? I really like the front fender too :thumbwink: