Just got a 1987 Spree (Good Condition)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dogg
Noob
Noob

Just got a 1987 Spree (Good Condition)

Post by Dogg »

Hey guys. New here but anyways, just got a 87' spree from my sisters garage. Hasnt been used since probably the 90's or 80's but she said it worked fine, she just stop riding it. Still has full tank of gas in it haha... Do you think i will hav to get any major work done? I'm taking it up to the shop tommroww see if they can doctor it back up.

Also, i been searchin the forum's and i havent seen in "really" in depth mods of a 1987 spree. not much to do? If i did get it workin does it have those restrictions or whatever? I got about $200 bucks for to spend on this thing.
stooley13
Noob
Noob

Re: Just got a 1987 Spree (Good Condition)

Post by stooley13 »

Welcome from one noob to another! A few things off the top of my head although there is plenty of documentation here if you use the search function...

Clean carb, clean old gas out (probably some varnish in there), clean out old oil, clean out petcock (fuel valve), check tires for dry rot and the tubes, probably need a new air filter (should feel spongy...will probably crumble when you touch it since it has been sitting so long), check the spark plug, check all the cables (brakes/throttle might be stuck try to lube before replacing), new battery if you want to use electric start...if you're taking it to a shop they'll know what to do and feel free to ask for advice when they let you know what they think you'll need to get done so you don't get ripped off! If you decide to do the work for yourself 100% search the technical documents etc. there are a few "just got a spree it has been sitting for 10+ years" postings with advice.

Good luck with your first few days of Spree ownership!
1986 Spree
1986 Spree
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

Hey,

Enjoy the Spree! There alot of fun. Im having more fun working on my 86 Spree over my 93 Mustang, lol.

As for getting your Spree up and running, stooley13 covered everything.

There is a thread around here where a 85 Spree was used as a test bed for mods that you may want to read. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6510

And before doing any mods, id start with learning all the basics first :)
Dogg
Noob
Noob

Post by Dogg »

Alright. Thanks guys! Really appreciate it.