Decarbonizing Exhaust

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Decarbonizing Exhaust

Post by burnt_toast »

Does anyone know the best way to decarbonize an exhaust?

I've heard of the oven method, but don't have a spare oven to muck up with all the carbon. Is there any other good methods?

Please share thank you
projects galore :nerd:
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Decarbonizing Exhaust

Post by bradthreee »

Last time I went to dealer to pick up some parts, I asked the tech in the back the same question and I couldn't believe what he had told me. He said that they used to put diesel in the muffler swooshing it around in all the nooks and crannies then light it on fire. Let it burn, then let cool to the touch. Bang the burnt up carbon out. Repeat if neccesary.
I myself have tried the lye (draino) method and it worked pretty well but to be honest it is a very lengthy process. Took a few days of marination to get most of the gunk out.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Gotcha, yeah apparently there is lotsa processes out there

Just found two that sound nice too, while searching:
The best way IÔÇÖve found is to use a propane torch and heat the pipe up slowly all the way down from the header on down, blowing air through it with a compressor as you go. If youÔÇÖre doing it right, the bits of carbon with actually ignite when they come out the tail pipe and youÔÇÖll get a little flame. It takes two people to heat it and blow the air through at the same time, but it works really well.
Throw the assembly in your woodstove or burn barrel and the heat of the fire will burn up all the carbon and oily soot out of the muffler, blow out the residual powder with compressed air and repaint with high temp. This works fine for non packed mufflers that can't be disassembled.
I plan on doing this on my PG Long btw
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I've never lit deisel fuel but it burns slower and probably does burn the carbon out. I don't know how slow it burns and don't want to be the one to experiment! Now i feel like going to get some deisel just to see burn time.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I would do the diesel thing, light it and take a leaf blower to it, get er glowin!
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

burnt_toast wrote:Does anyone know the best way to decarbonize an exhaust?

I've heard of the oven method, but don't have a spare oven to muck up with all the carbon. Is there any other good methods?

Please share thank you

Is the oven method what I think it is? Throw the whole muffler in the oven and set it to 'clean'?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

burnt_toast wrote:Does anyone know the best way to decarbonize an exhaust?

Please share thank you

Is the oven method what I think it is? Throw the whole muffler in the oven and set it to 'clean'?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Throw it in a campfire, retrieve from ashes next day, rinse well with garden hose, use.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Throw it in a campfire, retrieve from ashes next day, rinse well with garden hose, use.
Did something very similar, my mechanic helped me out and we tossed in his bbq pit after running a wire snake through it. filled with gas and set ablaze, then tapped with a hammer while still hot.

ended up denting the inside edges a lil but overall burned out A LOT of crap
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Post by Limp1144 »

Dont throw it in the oven we will all get anal cancer haha. I used to put old mufflers in a fire and let them set for 45minutes to 1 hour then let cool and its all good but dont run the mixtures so rich then you wont need to clean them as much. :D PEACE
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Limp1144 wrote:Dont throw it in the oven we will all get anal cancer haha. I used to put old mufflers in a fire and let them set for 45minutes to 1 hour then let cool and its all good but dont run the mixtures so rich then you wont need to clean them as much. :D PEACE
Do you mean lean out the gas or the oil?
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Post by Limp1144 »

i run 50:1 and i trust any 2 stroke to do very well with that combination
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

i just recently "tested out" the fire pit the previous owners left on the property. seems to have done well, but haven't had a chance to fully test out, due to the fact that my gas tank is leaking and i dont want to put enough in the tank to actually go for a spin.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
shiba
Goped
Goped

Post by shiba »

I gave the fire pit method a try also...seemed to work ok, hard to tell as my scooter is currently messed up...

I just took some premix gas that i had drained poured it in both ends, swished it around to make sure it got everywhere (and i still think that it didnt..), started a nice bonfire with the wood spread out and then set the exhaust on top and let it burn.....then the next day i desided to do it again, just to make sure!! did the same thing...and then after about an hr or 2 of it sitting on the fire when the wood was more or less a bunch of orange embers, took some cardboard and heated everything up even more by faning the fire...

note: i also took a hammer throughout this process and tapped the exhaust all around...

~Shiba
2000 Honda Elite SA50P (AF16E)
Current Mods: 72cc Malossi BBK, Unrestricted, OKO Vari, OKO Ramp, [9g OKO/ 7.5G ???] Rollers, #82 Upjet, ASN 9:1 gears

HELP ME WITH MY TRANSMISSION TUNING!!!
sugarshane
BMX
BMX

Post by sugarshane »

anybody ever cut the back off and chisel the carbon out, then re-weld?