New 44mm bore kit....now what?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

berssf06
BMX
BMX

New 44mm bore kit....now what?

Post by berssf06 »

I assume it must be too easy to just bolt my new kit on. anyone know what else is involved? Thanks
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Re: New 44mm bore kit....now what?

Post by toboggan »

there are a million threads on this. please look around.

And you have to bore the head to fit the piston.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Believe it or not, yes it is that easy. I just did my first one about a month ago and was surprised at how easy iti is. You should receive instructions with the kit or possibly the vendor will email you instructions. Common sense prevails and a little mechanical aptitude helps. Here are some tips.

1. Clean all gasket surfaces. That's part of the common sense.

2. Stuff rags in the bottom end, just in case you drop the piston pin snap ring, so you won't have to go fishing it out of the bottom end. I took a piece of Tee shirt for the top of the rags, smoothed out with slit for the piston. Once the ring is in place, just tear the Tee shirt rag away. If you haven't torn down yet, take same precaution with pulling the old snap ring. A magnet on a stick (pencil magnet) helps too.
3. Make sure the rings are gapped at the tit in the groove.

4. The bottom of the cylinder is beveled, so rings will slide in pretty easy, just watch and make sure the rings don't twist away from the gap at the tit.

5. Bolts should be tightened evenly and in stages crisscrossing. Best to use a torque wrench. This part makes me nervous as those long skinny bolts in an aluminum bottom end could pull. I'm used to big engines with 8-10 times the torque and cast iron blocks and heads.

There are other things, and the other guys will have some comment, but these are the quirky things that come to my mind.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

I'm pretty sure with this kit you have to take your head down to a machine shop.
Nothing really too crazy, you can do your rings and put the bore on, then go do the heafd, come back and slap it on.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

808BMW wrote:I'm pretty sure with this kit you have to take your head down to a machine shop.
Nothing really too crazy, you can do your rings and put the bore on, then go do the heafd, come back and slap it on.
Let's hold up on that thought for a couple of reasons.
1. Are we for sure talking about a Spree? There are more than one 44mm kits and may be different.
2. This same subject is being discussed on a similar thread. I've got one ordered and should be here any day. I've got a heavy mechanical background in automotive/truck industry. It's just 2 strokers are new to me. But I do have the background to understand the issue. As soon as my kit gets here, I'll be able to speak with more assurance. The vendor says it's a bolt on. Give me a couple of days to speak on this.
berssf06
BMX
BMX

Post by berssf06 »

were talking about a 86 spree and I bought the 44mm kit available on ebay. Hopefully were talking about the same kit and I can avaid some hadards. Good luck with yours lunytune
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

berssf06 wrote:were talking about a 86 spree and I bought the 44mm kit available on ebay. Hopefully were talking about the same kit and I can avaid some hadards. Good luck with yours lunytune
Well, I thought so, but it doesn't hurt to double check. Yes, the top end (jug and piston) is same for the Spree and the Elite E which I have. So we'll rise or fall together on this.
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

The Spree kit is, persay, a bolt on [/b] modification. Except for that which as been mentioned already. You need to have the head milled/bored at a machine shop, but I doubt it's expensive. I talked to my buddy who hones my cylinders and he told me $6 to mill the head. If you like, scan and e-mail me the instructions and I will take one of my Spree heads down and have it cut for you and send it to you.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

wikked_spree57 wrote:The Spree kit is, persay, a bolt on [/b] modification. Except for that which as been mentioned already. You need to have the head milled/bored at a machine shop, but I doubt it's expensive. I talked to my buddy who hones my cylinders and he told me $6 to mill the head. If you like, scan and e-mail me the instructions and I will take one of my Spree heads down and have it cut for you and send it to you.

wikked_spree57, I've worked in a machine shop several years ago and I wouldn't even chuck up for $6, much less make the cut.

Marc, (tazland) has chimed in on the "Spree 44mm bore kit on ebay - anyone familiar with it?" thread. I've challenged him on the "bolt on, no mods necessary". Let's see what his response is.

Interesting that there are 3-4 of us doing this same mod on Sprees and Elite E at the same time and so many threads going on the subject.
rolinlowna96
Noob
Noob

Post by rolinlowna96 »

ok have a few questions about this kit and a few more things...i just put on the 44mm bore kit and im not going any faster then what i did from the start..the intake was bored also...can some one send me pictures and tell me how to adjust carb its runnin ok now just not any faster i put 4 inch hole in the air box and how do i know if my bystarter is bad and what the name of the part next to the bystarter that has a needle with and e clip with 3 setting what one is the best i put my one all 3 and couldn't tell a differents anyone in michigan close to taylor that can help me or please tell me what im doing wrong
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

First of all, Taz (Marc) is a righteous dude. His product is pretty much bolt on and go, as long as you have a little technical know how. You will have to have the head milled. Had mine done by a local wrench for $15.00. Once it was back, I had the big bore kit on, and engine running within an hr. I put the supplied jet into the carb, drilled 5 1/2 inch holes in the top of the airbox, and with a little carb tuning, have her running smooth as can be. I do add an extra 1.5 oz of oil directly to the gas because I believe that the oil pump could not keep up with the demand of the higher powered engine. I also installed the gear kit that he sells. I have now put on over 2500 miles on this combo this summer already, and do so every day at at least 35 mph.

There are about a bazillion threads on this subject on the forum. No need to "test" or "bash" Taz. :*: He is a wealth of knowledge on this as well as most spree issues. He is one of the good guys trying to keep these things alive, and make them faster.

Good luck with this project. If done properly, it is a great investment. I wish that I waited for his 48mm kit to come to market before I bought the 44mm. If you have questions, research prior posts on the subject, and then ask. Many members here have done the bbk conversion and Im sure feel the same way about it that I do.
1984 Spree With Taz BBK and Gears
1988 Seawind 24 Catamaran
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

rolinlowna96 wrote:ok have a few questions about this kit and a few more things...i just put on the 44mm bore kit and im not going any faster then what i did from the start..the intake was bored also...can some one send me pictures and tell me how to adjust carb its runnin ok now just not any faster i put 4 inch hole in the air box and how do i know if my bystarter is bad and what the name of the part next to the bystarter that has a needle with and e clip with 3 setting what one is the best i put my one all 3 and couldn't tell a differents anyone in michigan close to taylor that can help me or please tell me what im doing wrong
Why would you think a big bore kit alone would make your scooter faster? Engine RPM, transmission ratio and tire size have more to do with top spped than engine size. The BBK will help accelleration, but without a gear change, faster is not gonna happen. The gear change alone will make the scooter faster (AKA top speed higher) however the higher gear ratio will hurt acceleration noticably. That's why the BBK and gear combo is a good idea.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
rolinlowna96
Noob
Noob

Post by rolinlowna96 »

first off thanks for the replys and was not here to bash taz or anyone thank you im here for help ok...ok now that being said why would i think my spree should go faster with the bore kit while you would think boring it out should go little faster at top end...now at take off yes its way better...i put the 4 one inch holes in airbox just like paper said and i tryed one without the holes and the one with holes is better still not going passed 30 miles and hr...questions were why am i not going faster and how do i tell if my bystarter is bad ive adjusted the carb it stays running now but still won't go passed 30 my buddys spree not bored goes faster..don't no much about this stuff...with the new kit it takes me 2 city street blocks to get up to 25-30 won't go passed unless im going down hill and i weight only 140pounds my buddy weights 240 and his spree not bored all stock goes faster...like i said not here to bash anyone just trying to figure out the problem take off is way better i will say that..next question the troddle were it plugs into the carb it has 3 adjustments on it with and e clip i put it on the bottom stalled put it in the middle stayed running thats where it was when i started massing with it didn't try the top setting left is in the middle were it come from...
rolinlowna96
Noob
Noob

Post by rolinlowna96 »

ok i understand that i need gears to make it faster but with a new bore kit i should be going faster then 30miles and hr,,at least 35 it did 30 with out bore kit
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

rolinlowna96 wrote:first off thanks for the replys and was not here to bash taz or anyone thank you im here for help ok...ok now that being said why would i think my spree should go faster with the bore kit while you would think boring it out should go little faster at top end...now at take off yes its way better...i put the 4 one inch holes in airbox just like paper said and i tryed one without the holes and the one with holes is better still not going passed 30 miles and hr...questions were why am i not going faster and how do i tell if my bystarter is bad ive adjusted the carb it stays running now but still won't go passed 30 my buddys spree not bored goes faster..don't no much about this stuff...with the new kit it takes me 2 city street blocks to get up to 25-30 won't go passed unless im going down hill and i weight only 140pounds my buddy weights 240 and his spree not bored all stock goes faster...like i said not here to bash anyone just trying to figure out the problem take off is way better i will say that..next question the troddle were it plugs into the carb it has 3 adjustments on it with and e clip i put it on the bottom stalled put it in the middle stayed running thats where it was when i started massing with it didn't try the top setting left is in the middle were it come from...
Bystarter only has to do with starting when the engine is cold. If the engine starts fine, the bystarter is fine. The BBK will not increase your RPM, hence no increase in speed. Moving the needle around will not effect top speed, it effects 1/4 to 3/4 throttle only. Comparing your scooter to others is a great way to be frustrated. Get Taz's gear set if you want faster. You really don't have any understanding of engines, gearing and their relationship to top speed.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree