what speeds are people seeing with the spree gears?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Re: what speeds are people seeing with the spree gears?

Post by jamadi112233 »

Is there anyway that we could get a picture of the UNI filter? At about $18 bucks a pop I would like to buy one that i know has worked for someone already on the kit. Can i get a 90 jet from you too please?
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

see i wondered about the tire myself but was going on what others said, just like when you go putting DUBs on your car it makes the trannie work harder and the speedo off because of more rolling mass. but wonder if you use stock spree gears and bigger tirew what do you get? maybe running the taller taz gera and larger tire will slow down. what is the perfect combo here. stock gear/bigger tire/// taz gear/stock tire///taz gear/bigger tire.?
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

The bigger the rim the slower you take off. End of story on that one. Now people use widder tires for better grip. Thats not that big of deal.

I posted the uni filter info on peformance tech. There is a new thread.

Taz
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Just to be sure I will double check my mph results with another GPS to make sure they are accurate on the gear speeds. I have to find another handheld. I will tell you that when you go down any kind of slight decline the spree hauls * with these gears and 44mm BBK. The added top is sooooo nice. Its gettin to cold to ride......Will post added info asap.

Taz
Wheelman-111

Engine Speed and Groundspeed

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yeah, the DJ-1 had the 8-inch rims too. Weird, something about the Japanese Domestic Market bikes. Perhaps they get a break on insurance if they feature smaller-diameter rims, or maybe they're going for the lowest possible saddle height.

Whatever the reason, of course if you reduce the distance travelled per wheelspin, it has the same effect as running a lower (numerically higher) gear ratio. You should accelerate faster but reach a lower top speed -IF ALL ELSE IS EQUAL. Altering the ratio between the respective rates of rotation of the crankshaft and the final drive is exactly what gears do. The only flaw in that formula is if the variator - which is another variable between the engine and the final drive - has enough range to continue to spin the clutch shaft faster. On a Spree that won't apply.

A 10" rim gives a 15-inch tire diameter using 2.5s. An 8-incher gives 13", or 86% shorter gearing, which is enough to notice when you leave the line. Top speed may be more than 86% of the otherwise identical scooter's running 10-inch rims if the engine can rev up a little more, but it certainly won't be faster, unless the engine was over-geared so badly it couldn't reach its peak-power RPM. I could even feel a difference when I replaced the 3" stock tire on Flash I with a 90/90 Pirelli, which is only about .35 inches fatter in diameter.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

great reply wheelman. :bump: Shed some tech light on the subject.

Taz
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

odinxxix wrote:it makes the trannie work harder and the speedo off because of more rolling mass.
that is a wheel diameter issue
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

kind works the same cause you are putting a bigger tire on a 10" wheel so its going to take more revolutions to get the same distance,albiet it may not be much maybe inches or feet but still going to be a tad bit slower. now putting a 2.75X10 on with taz gears may make up for that,but im thinking 2.75X10 with stock gears may(not sure) slow down 1/4 to 1/2 step. dont know the measurements of both tires.(theroticly)sp? :imo:
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

odinxxix wrote:kind works the same cause you are putting a bigger tire on a 10" wheel so its going to take more revolutions to get the same distance,albiet it may not be much maybe inches or feet but still going to be a tad bit slower. now putting a 2.75X10 on with taz gears may make up for that,but im thinking 2.75X10 with stock gears may(not sure) slow down 1/4 to 1/2 step. dont know the measurements of both tires.(theroticly)sp? :imo:
:?: :?: :?:
A larger diameter tire on the same diameter rim will produce a higher top speed (assuming the motor can produce the energy) but slower acceleration. It will take less revolutions of the wheel for the larger diameter wheel to acheive the same speed as the smaller diameter wheel.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

ok yes your right my bad man,after some thought on the subject i was totaly wrong and still thinking of wheel diameter. so my apologies.
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

So is Taz the only one who has installed these gears and run them?