Need advice on Honda Elite 50 big bore cylinder kit.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

Need advice on Honda Elite 50 big bore cylinder kit.

Post by needfasterthan31 »

Hey fellows, MY 2001 Honda Elite SR50 is due for a new top end so i decided to go with a 72cc Cylinder setup. I plan on keeping my stock exhaust and carburetor because im not looking to race and need my ride to be reliable and half way quiet. Any suggestions on what to get and where to get it. VT cycles seems to be out of the malossi cylinders and only has cheap ones that i do not want and Daywot on ebay seems to have several. I am looking for a quality made cylinder setup. Also do i have to rejet my carb. I have a budget of $500.00 to do this which i see is more than enough, but was wondering also if i would be better off geting the cylinder,bigger carb,and performance pipe all together. And would you recommend the Polini Corsa or Contesta? or ?
01 Elite SR50
>Polini Contesta 72cc Kit (To be soon installed)
>R1 Pipe (To be soon installed)
>Keli Variator
>9:1 gears
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Re: Need advice on Honda Elite 50 big bore cylinder kit.

Post by toboggan »

http://sleepyscooters.yolasite.com/perf ... -parts.php

since im on here more often then limp1144 is, you can let me know, and i can get stuff from him! Either PM me or him! the 51mm kit should do you well!
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

go get a polini contesta bore/ big jet kits/ gear kit and keli pulley kit. that all you need.

it is bolt on!

Dont buy a 51mm bore kit. Block need to split and porting job on block.

51mm bore kit, need big carb/intake and performance pg long pipe .
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

Thanks for the replies fellows. I do have a Kelly high speed pulley and 9:1 gears on it right now. I have almost 10,000 miles on the original piston. I did some research before i originally posted and i was also leaning toward the Polini Contesta kit as well for reliability. It seemed to be high quality which i want. Is it absolutely necessary to rejet my carburetor, and if so what size main jet do i need, or do i need to have the carburetor completely rejetted, Usually for my dirtbikes, i would take the bike in and have them do a rejet just for the jetting was right on and for me to have peace of mind that i wasnt running too lean. Do you think i should get a performance exhaust and bigger carb? or get them after i put a few or so miles on it.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Yes, you need to rejet. Depending on bore/bike/rider/area, nobody can really tell you that perfect jet. A carb+pipe upgrade will really wake up a big bore, and the aftermarket carb with have much more adjustment than stock.
toboggan wrote:http://sleepyscooters.yolasite.com/perf ... -parts.php

since im on here more often then limp1144 is, you can let me know, and i can get stuff from him! Either PM me or him! the 51mm kit should do you well!
I was under the impression he got out of dio parts and was more interested in the ruckus/gy6 crowd. Are those parts/prices still available?
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

Hey fellows, I ended up buying a Polini Contesta bore kit and a R1 muffler from Daywot. I still would like to get a bigger carb and cannot afford a $199.00 Polini from him, but what mm size carb will i need now because my stock carb isnt that great anyways. And do i need to rejet the new larger carb or leave it as is and do i get rid of my stock airbox and get a new intake mainfold and aftermarket clamp filter.

It would seem i would have to eliminate my oil pump and what about the throttle cable?

Thanks.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

Good choice on the bore kit. The stock intake limits carb choices to something by Arreche, found on Scooter-Center.com. They make 17.5 up to 24mm IIRC. Just be sure to order the one for honda Dio SR or Vision, which uses the same manifold bolt spacing and you keep your carb insulator. It was just at or a bit over $100 last time I looked.

Going to a CT or Stage6 manifold opens a plethora of 34mm spigot carb options. Keihin, Mikuni, OKO (a Keihin PWK Clone...) or Stage6 (Mikuni TM Clone) 24 to 28mm should all work. I even adapted a very cheap Keihin VE 24 - yeah, a CV carb - to Flash II. The smaller sizes are easier to tune cleanly. Whichever carb you buy, I recommend you also get a half dozen jets on either side of the stock one to permit tuning to your particular application. You may get lucky with the jet that comes with the carb, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Plugging the pump socket is certainly the simpler option, but not the only one. Using a dilute (60-70:1) premix and retaining the cable-controlled pump works too. Reduces plug fouling if you have to putt slowly for a long time.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

I tried that first site which seems to be in European language so ill pass on that. I guess for know i will take daywots advice and get a bigger main jet for my stock carb for now then eventually upgrade to a bigger 24mm? carb or? So anyone know what size main jet i will need. I called the local bike shop and they said they only carry a 88main jet. My 2001 elite sr50 i think has a 82 main jet? not sure. Im sure its the stock jet. So basically i will have to keep my stock carb and airbox and get it for its not running lean or rich until i get a bigger carb. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Your 2001 SR should have a 78 if it's stock. You can order an 82, 85 or 88 straight from Honda. If you're keeping the stock airbox and exhaust, 85 will be enough. Read the number 99101-187-0850 to the doof at the Parts Desk. Underscore is the jet size. When I bought my Contesta for the Aero, the kit included a jet. Patrick wasn't sure, there was no marking on the jet, and I never indexed it to see its size, but it worked fine with the stock appendages.

Nobody can tell anybody what jet size you'll need from reading a post online. Carb makers use all different numbering systems anyway. One thing is almost certain: the jet you're gonna need ain't in the carb, so order a handful of sizes bigger and smaller to have something to tune to once installed. Start with the biggest one. If it starts, tune from there. If it runs well, order bigger jets.

Webpages in Europe usually feature a selection of flags across the top banner. Click on the Union Jack and see the Flemish or whatever magically transformed into the Queen's English. Makes it easier to order your Auspuffen. :wink:
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

Hi, I will recheck that site out and see if i can find English but isnt there a site in the U.S.A. that carries those carbs that let you keep the stock intake? I guess i will call an actual Honda dealer and order some jets, or at least get a couple larger ones.

I do have an R1 pipe coming with the Contesta kit and i would like to keep my stock airbox as well for now. Eventually to get maximum power-I will be getting a new larger carb with a airfilter unit for the end. I do like the idea of keeping my Oil pump and premixing a diluted 60:1-70:1 ratio

If i do get a larger carb and air filter, someone on here who sells the carbs and bore kits,etc. if i remember the user name was "Elite" said you need to replace your shock or it will hit the airfilter unit. I figure id like to know to plan ahead.

Thanks.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you install that R1 pipe, you may find you need to lighten the variator load to keep the engine singing in the pipe's sweet spot, which will likely be well north of 8K. If so, the 85 jet will be much too small. Patrick at one time sold a Daytona jet kit that fit the Honda carb. Six jets with big-ish jumps from 88 up to 105 IIRC. You may need at least an 88 for that pipe, but more likely a 94 or so. You can drill a small stock jet with an indexing bit from Harbor Freight and get good results.
Wheelman-111
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

Thanks for the advice. There is a Harbor Freight not too far from me. I will grab one of those kits. Daywot said he was out of them jet kits when i got the pipe and bore kit. Would a Honda dealer stock the jets or do i have to order them from them. If so i need to order them now. I think everything is coming to me tomorrow.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

AFAIK the biggest jet you can get from Honda is the #88. It was the stock jet for the '88 (?) Elite. Drills or DayWOT's Daytona set is the only way to get bigger. JiangWayne.com had the same kit at one time too.
Wheelman-111
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

Yeah, that sounds right because the local shop which was not a dealer said they only could get an 88, should i just order a few of them and get a drill kit and be good with the jets? I will contact Daywot and see if he has any or that .com site you said about also.

Thanks.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

For my jetting tuning I drilled my jets. I was waiting for my jets from daywot, got impaitent, went to harbor freight and bought the drill bit set.
Definately a good investment.
I would recomend with a pipe and stock evrything else to the motor that you drill a jet out to about a 90-95. And with stock bore I would start with 7g rollers in the vari with those 9:1 gears involved.
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps