Cordless Impact on crank and clutch bolt

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Cordless Impact on crank and clutch bolt

Post by Bear45-70 »

steffen707 wrote:
eclypse wrote:
Just use that to grab the teeth and then put a wrench on the nut to tighten or loosen it.
You mean use the strap wrench on the teeth of the front pulley so that isolates the crank from getting shocked by the impact?

I don't use the impact to put those nuts on, but I use them to take the nuts off, and i just want to understand what technique you guys are using to avoid this "pressed on crank" screwing up the counter weight thing.
Actually a chain wrench works better on a sprocket. But not every on has or can afford a chain wrench.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

plus don't you have to have the right chain because if loops aren't spaced right, then they wouldn't grip the teeth right?
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

steffen707 wrote:plus don't you have to have the right chain because if loops aren't spaced right, then they wouldn't grip the teeth right?
The chain just need to grab a few of the teeth, not all of them.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I just use a pair of vise grips and an impact. Then when reinstalling use LOCTITE.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

martynkim wrote:I just use a pair of vise grips and an impact. Then when reinstalling use LOCTITE.
whatever you are grabbing with the vise grips is getting marred or scratched, if you mean the front pulley, then you're scratching the pulley face.

Also, the use of loctite is a bad idea and not needed. Just torque it to correct spec and the nut should never come off. if you use too much loctite, it could fly off and get on the belt, bad idea.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

steffen707 wrote:
eclypse wrote:
Just use that to grab the teeth and then put a wrench on the nut to tighten or loosen it.
You mean use the strap wrench on the teeth of the front pulley so that isolates the crank from getting shocked by the impact?

I don't use the impact to put those nuts on, but I use them to take the nuts off, and i just want to understand what technique you guys are using to avoid this "pressed on crank" screwing up the counter weight thing.
NO IMPACT WRENCH PERIOD!

Whatever ya got to hold the teeth from moving and use a regular socket wrench to get the nut off and on. I never through off the crank but just the threads.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

When I use an impact wrench I make sure that I don't hold anything. The piston's compression offers enough resistance to let the impact driver do it's thing.

If I use an impact drive to tighten I make sure the threads are meshed and all splined parts are on the appropriate splines.

Good luck.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

elitedio wrote:When I use an impact wrench I make sure that I don't hold anything. The piston's compression offers enough resistance to let the impact driver do it's thing.

If I use an impact drive to tighten I make sure the threads are meshed and all splined parts are on the appropriate splines.

Good luck.
Yep, that's how pressed together cranks get twisted. Thats why it is important to hold whatever item you are loosening the nut on, so all the stress is on the flywheel or whatever you are working on and not on the crank.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
KingJeff801
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by KingJeff801 »

I am going to buy a torgue wrench what should it be set too when tightening the crank?
2001 Elite S
72cc Corsa
24mm OKO
Scorpion Pipe

Pic and Vid post
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =pic+video

Gun Post
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =6&t=27051

Wrong Side Kings 4 Life
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

Check your service manual for all torque specs. Service manuals are available in the Tech Docs section.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

From Wheel-Memory :surprise: : Clutch nut needs ~29 Ft.-Lbs.
Crank nut on the AF16 needs ~43, or 2.5 Wheel-Grunts.

Steffen, there is debate regarding the safety of rattle-gunning the crankshaft. The crankshaft is an assembly composed of 5 pieces: Alternator shaft, Variator shaft, a pair of flywheels and the big-end crank pin. Friction is the only thing holding them in the orientation Honda-san prescribed when he pressed them together with his giant hydraulic press: True, square and straight.

And while friction seems to be plenty to keep it that way in operation, it is said that Vibration is an excellent lubricant. So good that it can overcome the friction that keeps the crank aligned.

A rattle gun (Toc-toc-toc) can produce that vibration. Acting on the Vario end of the crankshaft (Toc-toc-toc), it wants to twist the Left flywheel (Toc-toc-toc). Should it succeed in loosening its grip on the crankpin (Toc-toc-toc), however microscopically, then the two flywheels are no longer precisely aligned. This in turn means the alternator shaft and the Vario shaft are no longer rotating on the same axis. Bad stuff for crank seals, bearings and the shaft assembly itself.

A holder - strap wrench, HF Chain Holder Tool, or Tusk Clutch holder - makes sure the torque you put on the nut is opposed by the tool, not the crankpin. All the force is confined to the 14mm (or 12mm in the case of the AF05 crank) variator shaft segment of the crank. Many have omitted the holder and whacked away with no apparent harm. I prefer not to do so. YMMV. Do what you wish. It's your engine, after all.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

From Wheel-Memory :surprise: : Clutch nut needs ~29 Ft.-Lbs.
Crank nut on the AF16 needs ~43, or 2.5 Wheel-Grunts.

Steffen, there is debate regarding the safety of rattle-gunning the crankshaft. The crankshaft is an assembly composed of 5 pieces: Alternator shaft, Variator shaft, a pair of flywheels and the big-end crank pin. Friction is the only thing holding them in the orientation Honda-san prescribed when he pressed them together with his giant hydraulic press: True, square and straight.

And while friction seems to be plenty to keep it that way in operation, it is said that Vibration is an excellent lubricant. So good that it can overcome the friction that keeps the crank aligned.

A rattle gun (Toc-toc-toc) can produce that vibration. Acting on the Vario end of the crankshaft (Toc-toc-toc), it wants to twist the Left flywheel (Toc-toc-toc). Should it succeed in loosening its grip on the crankpin (Toc-toc-toc), however microscopically, then the two flywheels are no longer precisely aligned. This in turn means the alternator shaft and the Vario shaft are no longer rotating on the same axis. Bad stuff for crank seals, bearings and the shaft assembly itself.

A holder - strap wrench, HF Chain Holder Tool, or Tusk Clutch holder - makes sure the torque you put on the nut is opposed by the tool, not the crankpin. All the force is confined to the 14mm (or 12mm in the case of the AF05 crank) variator shaft segment of the crank. Many have omitted the holder and whacked away with no apparent harm. I prefer not to do so. YMMV. Do what you wish. It's your engine, after all.
d*** good explanation and i guess i should consider myself lucky for not screwing my crank up. Next time i'm in Wausau, i'll get something from HF to avoid this problem.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.