My 87 se50p Iowa just buried the speedometer!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Re: My 87 se50p Iowa just buried the speedometer!

Post by gixxer9 »

bakaracer wrote: it shouldn't there the same .the only difference is the slide and needle is different from the se50. post a pic of the jet the dealer sold you.
It wasn't a factory jet, but was believed that it would work. I'm ordering a jet from one of my local dealers when they open at 10.
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

Scooter Therapy had a #90 on hand so for $2.00 I figured I'd give it a try since the previous owner drilled a couple holes in the airbox cover anyway. The elite idles and revs nicely so, to check it under load, I'm going to have my wife ride it around for a while and then I'll read the plug to see where it's at. I'm sure it'll be a bit rich, but it should help me decide between a #85 and #88.
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

I am always impressed that you guys can tell the difference in jetting that is only 4% difference. It takes me 10% of a change to feel it. If I was running an 82 and it felt "lean", I'd probably put in a 90-95 something like that.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

Well it's easy to dial in the jetting on my GSXR1340, and the fuel map on my GSXR1000 utilizing a wideband oxygen sensor, exhaust gas temperature sensor, and dynometer, but even the strongest scooter would scarcely be able to turn the drum so the "butt dyno" must be employed. I realize it's not exact by even the loosest standards, but educated guesses can, and must, be made. I'm positive that most members here are more knowledgable than I when it comes to these scooters, and I do not wish to challenge them, but there must be a reason that Honda put a #82 main in my restricted se50p and a #85 main in the unrestricted se50 even if the difference cannot be felt.

I ordered the #85 jet from one of the dealers in town, and should have it by next Tuesday. The #90 is likely too large, especially given the average ambient temperature in which it gets ridden, though my elite seems to run fine with it in. All I did to my se50p is install an se50 style variator and ramp and a stock se50 exhaust, therefore logic would suggest that I run a #85 main.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

when the cooler air comes back that 85 jet will be lean. if the temps right now up there where you live is in the 80's or 90's then the 85 jet will be ok.do plug chops to make sure its not running lean due to the extra holes in the airbox.2 strokes are more sensitive to air changes than 4 strokes.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

bakaracer wrote:when the cooler air comes back that 85 jet will be lean. if the temps right now up there where you live is in the 80's or 90's then the 85 jet will be ok.do plug chops to make sure its not running lean due to the extra holes in the airbox.2 strokes are more sensitive to air changes than 4 strokes.
I will, thanks. I may order a #88 main just in case I wish to try it out...
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

I installed the #85 jet tonight, and my wife is happy! The #90 was a little big for this elite as the throttle response was a bit muddy. It has strong acceleration right from take-off, so now I just need to source a metropolitan wheel and a 90/90 tire. I should have the 45 mph gauge panel for it within a week.

Thanks again to everyone here who has helped me directly or otherwise!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I have a nice Aero airbox that might help you out.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

gixxer9 wrote:Scooter Therapy had a #90 on hand so for $2.00 I figured I'd give it a try since the previous owner drilled a couple holes in the airbox cover anyway. The elite idles and revs nicely so, to check it under load, I'm going to have my wife ride it around for a while and then I'll read the plug to see where it's at. I'm sure it'll be a bit rich, but it should help me decide between a #85 and #88.
That is a shame, the first bad thing I've heard about them.
gixxer9 wrote:Well it's easy to dial in the jetting on my GSXR1340, and the fuel map on my GSXR1000 utilizing a wideband oxygen sensor, exhaust gas temperature sensor, and dynometer, but even the strongest scooter would scarcely be able to turn the drum so the "butt dyno" must be employed.
Yup, or a belt dyno.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

eliteguy50 wrote:That is a shame, the first bad thing I've heard about them.
What's the bad thing?
eliteguy50 wrote:Yup, or a belt dyno.
I'm unfamiliar with belt dynometers. Are those what they use on PTO shafts and such? In reality though, would you be able to detect the difference of a few jet sizes on a dyno? I think I may have picked up a horsepower increase of 2 to 3 percent on my 1340 by swapping jets, but what does a stock se50 produce, 6 or 7 hp? You'd be talking around one or two tenths of a horsepower. I still believe that a guess, educated or otherwise, may need to be employed.

Ultimately, in my case it doesn't matter because I'm not trying to achieve a maximum effort scooter. I only wanted my elite to eclipse 35 mph, and I've accomplished that. I'm simply interested in jetting the carb similar to the se50 so that it doesn't run lean and burn up the piston and cylinder. I have also picked up a metropolitan wheel so that I can safely run a 90/90 tire in hopes of ending up with a final drive ratio closer to that of the unrestricted se50.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

gixxer9 wrote:What's the bad thing?
They sold you the wrong jet. I've not bought a lot from there but everything I did buy was right. Plus, the last time I was there they gave me two free pizzas for the road. :thumbwink:
eliteguy50 wrote:I'm unfamiliar with belt dynometers. Are those what they use on PTO shafts and such? In reality though, would you be able to detect the difference of a few jet sizes on a dyno? I think I may have picked up a horsepower increase of 2 to 3 percent on my 1340 by swapping jets, but what does a stock se50 produce, 6 or 7 hp? You'd be talking around one or two tenths of a horsepower. I still believe that a guess, educated or otherwise, may need to be employed.
No, I think your stock Iowa engine was around 2.3hp and the unrestricted engine was 3.6hp. I was told the JDM dio does around 6.5hp while our af16 does 4ish.
Yup, but not just PTO shafts, they use 'em on sleds and karts too. It is not just the raw horse power but you check everything while running dyno, like egt, burn mix, temps...Sometimes you can tell a difference and sometimes you can't but even a shift in air temp will change the output.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

You're right, I can see how the belt dyno would be handy because you can check the sensors while the engine is under load-- even if you can't get a helpful power number, you can at least get accurate tempurature and oxygen counts...

In defense of Scooter Therapy, I needed a jet because I lost my #82 under my driveway so I called them to see if they had a #85 on hand. They thought they did, so I drove to their shop (about 5 miles from my house) to pick it up. It turns out that they only had a #76 and several #90 jets (all used) on hand, but nothing in between. I knew that the #76 was much too small, so I figured I'd get the #90 (they only charged me $2.00) so that the elite would at least be rideable until Mad City Powersports got my #85.
gixxer9
BMX
BMX

Post by gixxer9 »

**UPDATE**

I installed a Metropolitan rear wheel with a 90/90 tire along with a 45mph speedometer panel today. On the first ride, my wife hit exactly 45mph on a straight, flat road by our house. This would suggest that we picked up around 4mph going with the 90/90 tire. She says she noticed no loss of acceleration, but definitely noticed the top speed increase.

I cannot say enough about this forum, and the members who helped me directly, or otherwise... I have increased the top speed by 20mph facilitated through knowledge gained here at HSnet!