1985 AF05E swap into an 86 Spree questions.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Crazypunkerguy
Noob
Noob

1985 AF05E swap into an 86 Spree questions.

Post by Crazypunkerguy »

Hi, I am new to the forums and had a few questions. I have been lurking for a few weeks so hopefully i don't sound like a total noob. I have been shopping around for an engine swap for my spree. I would like to make it do around 50mph. I have been looking at AF05E's as my most likely candidate. I would definitely want to build the engine with a 65mm BBK,Ruckus variator,gearing change,exhaust, and pod filter. I found an 85 aero engine,transmission and wheel for quite a good deal. I have read that the 85 Aero has a 2 bolt intake instead of a 4 bolt. Is there any way to swap this to the 86-87/elite S style? Would this hinder me from making my goal if I can't change it? Should I not pick up the 85 motor and look for an 86/87 motor or something else? Any help is very appreciated thanks in advance!
1982 Honda Urban Express:Red:Vertical minarelli swap in progress, Aranda front end, 87 spree bars and cluster.
1998 VW GTI VR6 (Daily),1990 Mazda Miata (Track/Toy) 1985 Honda Spree-(Sold)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 1985 AF05E swap into an 86 Spree questions.

Post by martynkim »

If you want better results go for the 4 bolt intake. You will also get a kickstart with the 4 bolt 86 motor.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

Crazypunkerguy wrote:Hi, I am new to the forums and had a few questions. I have been lurking for a few weeks so hopefully i don't sound like a total noob. I have been shopping around for an engine swap for my spree. I would like to make it do around 50mph. I have been looking at AF05E's as my most likely candidate. I would definitely want to build the engine with a 65mm BBK,Ruckus variator,gearing change,exhaust, and pod filter. I found an 85 aero engine,transmission and wheel for quite a good deal. I have read that the 85 Aero has a 2 bolt intake instead of a 4 bolt. Is there any way to swap this to the 86-87/elite S style? Would this hinder me from making my goal if I can't change it? Should I not pick up the 85 motor and look for an 86/87 motor or something else? Any help is very appreciated thanks in advance!
if you're looking for a different engine, you should keep an eye out for a 94-01 elite "dio" style engine. much better in terms of upgrade options.

off topic question-

your name suggests you're into punk (or maybe its just a coincidence), and you're from mchenry. you ever check out punk shows at JFF roller rink? my band played there once with old scars and negative impact... just a wild guess, dont know if any of this means anything to you.
Crazypunkerguy
Noob
Noob

Post by Crazypunkerguy »

drizzle wrote:
if you're looking for a different engine, you should keep an eye out for a 94-01 elite "dio" style engine. much better in terms of upgrade options.

off topic question-

your name suggests you're into punk (or maybe its just a coincidence), and you're from mchenry. you ever check out punk shows at JFF roller rink? my band played there once with old scars and negative impact... just a wild guess, dont know if any of this means anything to you.
Oh I know about the AF16E but I really wanted to stay away from it as they are seemingly harder to find and regularly more expensive. Plus I know I would dump way too much into it and end up going way to fast on my spree. I was more or less asking if I can pull it off with an AF05E's more specifically the 85! On the off topic I have been going to JFF since I was 9 for shows! I have even played there a few times. I remember when they weren't so hard on moshing. We had some good times!
1982 Honda Urban Express:Red:Vertical minarelli swap in progress, Aranda front end, 87 spree bars and cluster.
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

you mchenry guys gave us probably the best crowd we've ever played to.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Spree engine an AF05E?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Bear45-70 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Spree engine an AF05E?
Ahhh, there you are correct. Honda recycled the engine code for the non-variated spree engine, despite using the same code on the areo and elite engines. The bore and stroke (I think) are the same.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Crazypunkerguy
Noob
Noob

Post by Crazypunkerguy »

Spreetard wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Spree engine an AF05E?
Bear45-70 wrote:Ahhh, there you are correct. Honda recycled the engine code for the non-variated spree engine, despite using the same code on the areo and elite engines. The bore and stroke (I think) are the same.
I thought I put Aero in the title. I did the first time but my netbook died so I had to re-type it. I didn't know they had the same engine code thanks!
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

Crazypunkerguy, how did you flip-flop our names??? Neat trick! Anyhow, you wrote:
[u][i][b]Bear45-70[/b][/i][/u] wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Spree engine an AF05E?
[u][b][i]Spreetard[/i][/b][/u] wrote:Ahhh, there you are correct. Honda recycled the engine code for the non-variated spree engine, despite using the same code on the areo and elite engines. The bore and stroke (I think) are the same.
I thought I put Aero in the title. I did the first time but my netbook died so I had to re-type it. I didn't know they had the same engine code thanks!
Then as a follow up, I just wrote: That you did, i was just putting the info out there to avoid any confusion.
In reference to when you wrote: I thought I put Aero in the title.
:mrgreen:
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

The 4-bolt intake engine would be ideal if you were planning on running an OKO dio style intake manifold with spigot type carb.

I see that you would like to achieve around 50mph and yes it is very likely that you can squeeze that out of the earlier Aero engine. I'm not 100% sure but I think most of the other bolt ons will work with that engine ie; BBK, Variator, Gears, Exhaust, etc.

You can also upgrade the carb on the stock intake manifold. Arreche makes an adapter and carb for that manifold.