Running but still lean...w/reward to whoever diagnoses it

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

well i tried jetting up higher and it never goes into high rpm now. I think im gonna go get some new jets and some more plugs over the weekend to try it all out. I do have the second snorkel drilled out all the way and the filter is coated nicely in oil
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

am curious what it means coated nicely means? also jeting higher ? you mean a larger jet? try downsizing the jet and then warm it up real good and adjust the idle mixture screw. do plug chops also
shortcal wrote:well i tried jetting up higher and it never goes into high rpm now. I think im gonna go get some new jets and some more plugs over the weekend to try it all out. I do have the second snorkel drilled out all the way and the filter is coated nicely in oil
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

i mean that cleaned it off with gas and then put some 10w -40 on it.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

not sure about the filters on these scooters but gas on many elements destroys them .. the will not flow near what they should. i always use K&N cleaner or hot soapy water let it dry and and get the good spray stuff from honda to lightly oil the filter.no need to overdo it

shortcal wrote:i mean that cleaned it off with gas and then put some 10w -40 on it.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

bigger main jet. if the exhaust was plugged it would seem like its running rich. If the air filter was dirty it would also run rich. Try a bigger main jet
Elite50USD
BMX
BMX

Re: Running but still lean...w/reward to whoever diagnoses it

Post by Elite50USD »

i dont get it, that scoot i sold you had the variator restrictor plate removed, an 82 main jet, the hole punched in the air box, and the PO had drilled 3 holes into the side of the exhaust and it did 35... seems like you should be going a lot faster.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re:

Post by Bear45-70 »

happyman wrote:am curious what it means coated nicely means? also jeting higher ? you mean a larger jet? try downsizing the jet and then warm it up real good and adjust the idle mixture screw. do plug chops also
shortcal wrote:well i tried jetting up higher and it never goes into high rpm now. I think im gonna go get some new jets and some more plugs over the weekend to try it all out. I do have the second snorkel drilled out all the way and the filter is coated nicely in oil
Never ever down size a jet unless you have done a correct plug chop to prove you are too rich. Not doing so risks a melted piston and a junk top end of your motor.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings Greetings Greetings Greetings:

We are talking back through the Time Machine Machine Machine Machine.

Check the dates dates dates dates.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
happyman
Spree
Spree

Re:

Post by happyman »

PimpinSpree wrote:bigger main jet. if the exhaust was plugged it would seem like its running rich. If the air filter was dirty it would also run rich. Try a bigger main jet

need to maske sure the exhaust is really clean to start with
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Wouldnt a plugged exhaust cause it to run rich. And I don't think WD-40 is the right thing to be using on the filter, Like someone said use the honda stuff, the manual will tell you what to use. In the spree manual it says to use 90 weight gear oil, which is a ton heavier than WD-40!!! And if that thing is anything like the spree, the airbox lid needs to be tight and the gasket in perfect shape. Also the hose from the airbox to the carb can not leak or it will run lean as *! And a drilled airbox would run lean too.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock