1999 Elite SA50P losing speed. . .help

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

GJbean
Goped
Goped

1999 Elite SA50P losing speed. . .help

Post by GJbean »

7,700 miles. When we first got this it was running 22mph. All we have done is put gas in it and changed the spark plug (what is the deal with the cap on the spark plug?). Anyway running fine at 22mph for about a week.

Now we can't get over 18 mph. Help. We love this baby, why are we losing speed???? :crazy:

. . over hill over dale we take our Elite on any trail. :geekdance:
GJbean
Goped
Goped

Re: 1999 Elite SA50P losing speed. . .help

Post by GJbean »

. . . . . someone anyone?

Here is what I have done: changed spark plug, put in premium gas, cleaned and oiled air filter, adjusted carbureator air screw, checked tire pressure,

any other simple fixes? I am only at 18 MPH.
vision
Noob
Noob

Post by vision »

GJbean wrote:. . . . . someone anyone?

Here is what I have done: changed spark plug, put in premium gas, cleaned and oiled air filter, adjusted carbureator air screw, checked tire pressure,

any other simple fixes? I am only at 18 MPH.

someone posted on a diff thread that the carb was not not seated tightly enough and it was lettin more air in to the engine ...check you have an air tight seal , good gasket etc.....just a thought from what ive read
drive her like your late for mass !
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The first and perhaps the easiest diagnostic test to perform is to check your engine compression.

This tool or one like it is all that is required besides a spark plug wrench. Be sure to open the throttle all the way when you mash Start. Let it crank until the needle on the gauge stops rising, and read. Spree and SB engine specs state something over 115 at a minimum, with a crazy-high maximum of 170-something.

If yours reads between these two numbers, the next thing I'd check is the belt drive. The belt may simply be getting worn to the point where it begins to slip. A new one should correct.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
GJbean
Goped
Goped

Post by GJbean »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The first and perhaps the easiest diagnostic test to perform is to check your engine compression.

This tool or one like it is all that is required besides a spark plug wrench. Be sure to open the throttle all the way when you mash Start. Let it crank until the needle on the gauge stops rising, and read. Spree and SB engine specs state something over 115 at a minimum, with a crazy-high maximum of 170-something.

If yours reads between these two numbers, the next thing I'd check is the belt drive. The belt may simply be getting worn to the point where it begins to slip. A new one should correct.
OK, I am on both of those, thanks.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I bet your muffler is plugged with carbon. And yes the carbs can come loose and you should check that but it does not seem like the problem to me. Also check your exhaust manifold to see if it has carbon build up inside. It is a common problem with honda 2 stroke scooters. Carbon will restricy the air flow and will make your top end very slow. Are all the restrictors removed?

Taz
GJbean
Goped
Goped

Post by GJbean »

tazland001 wrote:I bet your muffler is plugged with carbon. And yes the carbs can come loose and you should check that but it does not seem like the problem to me. Also check your exhaust manifold to see if it has carbon build up inside. It is a common problem with honda 2 stroke scooters. Carbon will restricy the air flow and will make your top end very slow. Are all the restrictors removed?

Taz
not sure if you saw, but I am a chick, dudette, whatever. :love:
just so you know why I ask these dumb questions, and I am so thrilled when you all answer. I really am working on these suggestions. Muffler, bet I can figure that out. 8,000 miles. $83 for a new muffler? is there some way to clean it. Still thinking about the DRIVE BELT someone else mentioned. Probably no way I can get to that myself. Exhaust manifold? have to see where that is in the manual.

. . . . .uh sorry exactly where are those RESTRICTORS? :oops: sorry. I do have the repair manual. And a hubby who will do a bit, but does not care about the bike as much as I do.

if I remove the restrictors will it be LOUD.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

That was funny about your hubby. Now there are two restrictors on that scooter. If you take off the muffler and look at the part of the muffler that connects to the exhaust manifold. If there is a permenant washer in there with a small hole it is still restricted on the muffler. I am trying to use words you can understand.
The second restrictor is a plate on the variator. To get to the variator you need take off the kick start cover. And the variater is behind the flywheel. Also when you take off the muffler inspect the exhaust manifold for carbon build up. It is very common on older two stroke scooters. Hope that helps. I tried to explain this a simple as I could.

Taz
GJbean
Goped
Goped

Post by GJbean »

tazland001 wrote:That was funny about your hubby. Now there are two restrictors on that scooter. If you take off the muffler and look at the part of the muffler that connects to the exhaust manifold. If there is a permenant washer in there with a small hole it is still restricted on the muffler. I am trying to use words you can understand.
The second restrictor is a plate on the variator. To get to the variator you need take off the kick start cover. And the variater is behind the flywheel. Also when you take off the muffler inspect the exhaust manifold for carbon build up. It is very common on older two stroke scooters. Hope that helps. I tried to explain this a simple as I could.

Taz
Got it!!! Rolling up my sleeves. I'll make the hubby an extra nice dinner, then he might help.
GJbean
Goped
Goped

Post by GJbean »

got the muffler off with the hubby's help. got that drilled out. got 25 mph. I am not sure if we can get to that other variator.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

You can do anything you put your mind to do. Here read this, it will tell you how to do whatever you decide to do to your scooter. With or without your hubby.

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/SA50_97_owners.pdf
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
sum-azn-kid
Elite
Elite

Post by sum-azn-kid »

you ever checked your roller weights? if they are flat they make your bike bog down. you topspeed wont be as high, and youll have a hard time up hills. the motor may also seem more revy but not go as fast.
2007 SYM DD50- baby blue 72 "Daily rider"-sold
1988 Honda SB50P-on going project
zuma 125-sold
Ninja 250r-totaled
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

sum-azn-kid wrote:you ever checked your roller weights? if they are flat they make your bike bog down. you topspeed wont be as high, and youll have a hard time up hills. the motor may also seem more revy but not go as fast.
It's a SA50P and the variator IS restricted and she hasn't removed the rstrictor plate yet.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Munstah666
Goped
Goped

Post by Munstah666 »

Maybe a good time to bring it to a qualified repair shop. Have them do the initial derestriction / repair and in the mean time educate yourself by asking what they're doing and the operation of your scooter. You need to at least know a little how your scooter operates /functions before you can start fixing or modifying things? There'sa lot of things that could be causing your lack of power. GL!
µùѵ£¼Òü«Òé╣Òâ╝ÒâæÒâ╝Òâ×Òâ│
GJbean
Goped
Goped

Post by GJbean »

I like the guys who say I can rather than those who want me to quit.

OK, after the other restrictor this weekend.