wider rear rim for af16 dio???

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pancake808
Goped
Goped

wider rear rim for af16 dio???

Post by Pancake808 »

i got my af16 swap on my express sr welded motormounts which i stretcheched 5" and wired "same color wires but diffrent plugs" .

what are the widest rims i can run with that motor?? i have the stock elite s 1.85 on now. I know the honda metropolitan rims are 2.15, will stock rear ruckus rims fit??? i think they are 3" but will the hub match???

i know i ask alot of questions, and thanks for answering them as i am new to this. :newb:
Wheelman-111

Re: wider rear rim for af16 dio???

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Whether the Ruck rims fit or not isn't so much the issue. The wider tires that will be needed to get them to seat on those 3" rims almost certainly will not fit. You might be able to get 3.50 tires' beads to pop on, but the profile will be awfully weird. Since the 2.15 rims have a lot of room to spare, my guess is that the clearance for the rim won't be a problem, but those 4.00 tires - for which the rims are designed - will be.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

I'm guessing he wants to stretch the skinny tire onto the wide rim, that IS the desired profile.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12844&p=140104
^ bradthree mounted up an aftermarket ruckus rim, but had to add washers onto the exhaust to space it out. When I asked he said it was fine, but I think after prolonged use (especially with an aftermarket pipe) you'd end up cracking the pipe. You might be able to get away with it on a stock exhaust, since it is much stronger than most performance pipes.

You could always have your pipe cut and rotated/reworked a little to give you the needed clearance.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

If you geta Sym or Daytona hub you can go really wide, but in turn you must modify your engine mount to offset the motor as well as your exhaust mount.

In the link 808BMW posted, the rim is 3.00" wide and the tire I was running was 90/90 10. It was only mounted to see if it would fit, but there was no real life trial to see if the washers held up after time.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I have not tried it on an af16 yet, but the stock ruckus rim will not clear the variated af05 tranny case once the lug nut is torqued down.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

...And thanks for reminding me JD, the motor in the link is the variated 84 Aero AB Engine
Pancake808
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake808 »

Thanks for the info! I think I'm gonna go with the metro wheels as its av easy bolt on