4 questions for SE50's.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

BlackknPurple87
Noob
Noob

4 questions for SE50's.

Post by BlackknPurple87 »

Hi all,
New to the forum and read a lot of useful info so far. I worked on these mopeds years ago when I was younger and am getting back into them. There are a lot of newer items since then and wanted to get some insight, opinions, reccomendations on a few items for the SE50 motor. I have a cherry 87 elite that needs better performance. I plan to start with a few easy upgrades that shouldn't take too much time or effort to complete. Please throw out some suggestions w/ a little reasoning to why you feel those brands are best, cost, reliablity, perfromance, etc... Also, if you have any specific places that sell at decent prices please include them. Thanks in advance, I hope to get some before and after pics up soon, along with changes in performance.

*I will have to wait before I get a BBK, bigger carb.

Looking to get up to 50-60 mph with a good low-end kick.

1. Exhaust/pipe - Leovince SP3, if I can find it. Cheap and easily swapped out from stock pipe.

2. Variator/pulley - Ruckus variator if I don't have to grind out the casing, I don't have a grinder. If not, Keli or malossi?

3. Hi-speed belt - Not sure what the better brands are for belts, but do they make a huge difference?

4. New tire and rim - What size would you suggest? Any particular brands? I have seen some mention of 3.0 size tire.
Last edited by BlackknPurple87 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 3 questions for SE50's.

Post by evilone »

That was 4 questions! :wink:. I only have answers to 2 of the 4. Sounds like you have the se50, not the se50p correct? It's possible you have the 10:1 gears.

#2. The Keli fits without grinding, i'm pretty sure the Ruckus vari will require grinding.
#3. New stock Honda belt is all you need. Forget the others in my opinion.

Good luck with the 50-60 mph without gears or bbk. 45-50 mph is more realistic.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 3 questions for SE50's.

Post by martynkim »

Ruck Vari is well worth the grinding and can be done with a roto zip or magic stick (dremel) with a careful hand. :nervous:

Good Luck finding the SP3 on the Cheap or used. Must be ordered from Germany and not cheap either. :surprise:

90/90 tire not a 3.0 (slightly bigger) shave 0.10 off the head for a little torque and go on a diet. :naughty:

You may find the ways of the force difficult Young Luke but, you will find your way. :lol:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
BlackknPurple87
Noob
Noob

Re: 4 questions for SE50's.

Post by BlackknPurple87 »

Evil1, MK, thank you for the advice. Excited to get this ped moving a lot faster.
ScooterTweaks
BMX
BMX

Post by ScooterTweaks »

Take a look at some of my posts. I am working on these motors as we speak with good results. I own an 87 elite, 85 and 86 aero, and have two extra engines to work with. Right now my elite is in the 50mph zone with stock parts and a pipe. The cylinder has been milled, the head milled, opened and ported the exhaust, cleaned out the intake ports, cleaned up the casting inside the intake runner, re jetted the factory carb with long high flow inlet, aprilia sr50 arrow pipe chopped and welded to fit and thats it! well, some trans tuning to control the rpm and hp to the wheel...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17440

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7427

if you want to pm me you can and i will give you my number if you want to chat about the build. i would love to share some of what i am finding. i hope to have some pictures of stuff up over the weekend of my findings so far.

scootersteve
ScooterSteve
ScooterTweaks
512-88-SCOOT

Honda (1984 Spree, 1985/1986 Aero, 1987 Elite SE50, 2008 Metropolitan)
Derbi (1999 Predator, 2002/2003/2004 GP1, 2004 GPR50
2002 Kymco B&W 250
2003 Aprilia Scarabeo 50
2004 Yamaha Majesty 400
2009 Sym Mio 50
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

1: That is a good pipe that will bolt on. "easily" is a relative term. Each SP3 pipe I've had needed a little coaxing but would bolt up just fine and run great. "cheap" it will not be. The cheapest I've seen is $85 and that one had minor surface rust along with a crack that needed welding.

2: The ruckus variator will give the most top end and be cheaper than the Keli or Malossi. As for the grinder, anything will work. You can even hand sand it with rough sand paper if you have enough time. Option B is to post an add on the local CL that you want to borrow one for 5 minutes for $5. Go to their house and use it in front of the owner so they know you are not going to run off with it. Option C, buy a cheap rotary tool for $5.

3: The cheap $8 belts are no good, you might get a week out of them. Otherwise, about anything will handle the power. When you start doing BBK mods and want race applications, that is when specific aftermarket belts come into play.

4: Get a 90/90-10 on a 10x2.15 rim (metro or real dio or aftermarket).
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.