'89 Elite LX De-restrict

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

hopkinsproshop
BMX
BMX

'89 Elite LX De-restrict

Post by hopkinsproshop »

I have an 89 Elite LX that I recently installed a 44mm BBK on. I am going to play withthe jetting to get it right but I have a few questions as far as derestriction. The scoot has the stock airbox, stock muffler, stock everything. I would like to get this airbox and variator handled before I dive into the trans to change the gears. SO here are my questions....

I have heard I need to modify the stock airbox by drilling some 1 inch holes? How many and where ould be the best location?

Second, I am assuming this model has a restricted ramp plate in the variator. Does someone make a non restricted version of the ramp plate that I could swap in?

Is there an OEM Honda derestricted ramp plate that I could buy, (if I knew which model) from Parts Fish, you know like a factory derestricted ramp plate?

Will a variator from a later model DIO type engine work? Lets say could I get a Keli or Polini type variator?

I am just looking for suggestions really to see what would be the best route to take to get these things dialed in.

Not sure what to do about the muffler situation, since thre are not a whole lot, basically no options for a better exhaust.

THANKS
1989 Elite LX 50cc (1st project)
2000 SA50P (2nd project)
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: '89 Elite LX De-restrict

Post by eliteguy50 »

Yes, 'dio' variators work on your variated af05 engine. Leo Vince SP3 is the only exhaust coming to mind right now. I am not sure about the LX restricted ramp plate, you can pull it off and see if there is a retention style restrictor plate or if the ramps are almost flat, otherwise you are probably at the limits of the stock variator.

You will need more than a 44mm to pull the af05 gears. The only gears still available are 7.83:1.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
hopkinsproshop
BMX
BMX

Post by hopkinsproshop »

Thanks for the info

I will pull that variator off and see if there are any restrictions on it. Good call.

Question when you say there that the 05 engine will not have enough gear do you mean it is too low a gear and I need to higher? I thought this engine had somewhere around a 11:1 gear set and that might limit my top speed or another words it may top out too quickly. So by going with a lower numerecial gear set it would give me more top end, such as the 7.83? THanks!!!
2000 SA50P (2nd project)
bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

i think he means your bbk kit wont produce enough power to turn the 7.83 gears, which i believe is the only ratio available so if i was you i would buy a ruckus variator like i did which actually gave a huge speed increase or pull the 13 tooth clutch shaft that came in the 1987 elite (sp50?) for a 10:1 ratio
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
hopefully nh80 powered soon!
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

bc117 wrote:i think he means your bbk kit wont produce enough power to turn the 7.83 gears, which i believe is the only ratio available so if i was you i would buy a ruckus variator like i did which actually gave a huge speed increase or pull the 13 tooth clutch shaft that came in the 1987 elite (sp50?) for a 10:1 ratio
What he said. The '87 elite is an se50 and only one of the three versions had the 13t primary, you will also need the counter to mate with that primary. I second the Ruck vari.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
hopkinsproshop
BMX
BMX

Post by hopkinsproshop »

I am going tohave to find one of those Ruckus variators. sounds like that is the ticket.

Once I get one of those, should I change up the spring situation in the clutch? Any recommendations on that?? And are the springs the same as a dio engine?

THANKS
2000 SA50P (2nd project)