Any Alternative to an Air FIlter?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

scottinscotty
Elite
Elite

Any Alternative to an Air FIlter?

Post by scottinscotty »

I was having some performance issues and discovered that the cause was my air filter... after time it had gotten dirty and lost performance, now i've taken off the air filter and she run's like a champ.. i checked my plug and found it's jetted prefectly.. so my thinking was that i might have been overjetted slightly with the filter on.. so is there an alternative to running an air fliter? or if not what would be my best/highest flow air filter?
72cc polini contesa kit
oko variator with 8.5 gram malossi weights
21mm Black Oko Carb & Ct Manifold
8.44 gear
malossi MHR exhaust
Dio zx trans conversion
1000 center spring
1500 grabbers
sef ramp plate
B9hs plug
GPS 60mph
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Any Alternative to an Air FIlter?

Post by Bear45-70 »

Keep running it that way and it will blow up for sure. Get a new filter at the dealer and put it back the way it was.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

scottinscotty wrote:I was having some performance issues and discovered that the cause was my air filter... after time it had gotten dirty and lost performance, now i've taken off the air filter and she run's like a champ.. i checked my plug and found it's jetted prefectly.. so my thinking was that i might have been overjetted slightly with the filter on.. so is there an alternative to running an air fliter? or if not what would be my best/highest flow air filter?
Errr... you have an uni? Wash it and re-oil it. Or buy a new one. That is normal maintenance.

...so far as the plug goes, did you change the plug to a new one whilst stripping the air filter off? If not, your plug inspection means next to nothing.If the reading is accurate, then re-jet the bike (as it is overjetted) instead of trying to run sans filter. Otherwise, all the crap that is plugging your filter will instead be in your engine. Not a good place to store dirt.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
nh_scooter
BMX
BMX

Post by nh_scooter »

Although Bear and Spreetard are both correct, it is probably best to use the stock filter, if you did do the plug chop correctly and you have a good mixture without the filter, you could try this one http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/ge ... D50/Detail . But if your too lean and seize your engine its not my fault...

ps. i listened to Bear and bought the stock filter rather than using the one i bought from the link above. you can get a new one on ebay for cheap, or just clean your old one and re-oil it.
'83 Aero50
'83 Aero80
scottinscotty
Elite
Elite

Post by scottinscotty »

i understand that the uni needs regular cleaning, but i'm thinking that my scoot was overjetted from the get go... and i really like the performance i'm at now... i'm gonna try a kn&n type filter tonight and see if that dosen't keep the performance i have going.. i rode the bike for almost 50 miles without the filter on.. and i know it's not good.. but i think if i were to lean it would have seized by now..
72cc polini contesa kit
8.44 gear
malossi MHR exhaust
Dio zx trans conversion
1000 center spring
1500 grabbers
sef ramp plate
B9hs plug
GPS 60mph
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

scottinscotty wrote:i understand that the uni needs regular cleaning, but i'm thinking that my scoot was overjetted from the get go... and i really like the performance i'm at now... i'm gonna try a kn&n type filter tonight and see if that dosen't keep the performance i have going.. i rode the bike for almost 50 miles without the filter on.. and i know it's not good.. but i think if i were to lean it would have seized by now..
only if you down jet it running it without the filter. with the filter on it will richen it up a bit. with a k&n filter it will be about the same as a uni if not less air going through. if your using the stock carb, you risk seizing the cylinder from wot to closed throttle riding due to a to small pilot jet. i would worry more about that.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
scottinscotty
Elite
Elite

Post by scottinscotty »

ok.. well i have my cousin's kn&n type air filter.. it's a little bigger then the uni i was running and seem's to perform a little better... so my thinking is the size of air filter also has alot to do with it.. more volume i guess.. and also i know the carb and intake are a must.. i'm just low on funds at the moment.. i try after a wot run.. to "wheen" off the gas.. so will see if the cylinder holds up untill i can get a carb.. thanks everyone for the input :thumbwink:
72cc polini contesa kit
8.44 gear
malossi MHR exhaust
Dio zx trans conversion
1000 center spring
1500 grabbers
sef ramp plate
B9hs plug
GPS 60mph