isn't wider tires soposed to increase speed??

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

scottinscotty
Elite
Elite

Re: isn't wider tires soposed to increase speed??

Post by scottinscotty »

The frictional force is dependent only on the nature of the two surfaces but not on the area of contact. damnit proven wrong again.... sorry sorry... again :hi:
72cc polini contesa kit
oko variator with 8.5 gram malossi weights
21mm Black Oko Carb & Ct Manifold
8.44 gear
malossi MHR exhaust
Dio zx trans conversion
1000 center spring
1500 grabbers
sef ramp plate
B9hs plug
GPS 60mph
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

In grade school we learned about friction. Well, the kids who were paying attention, anyway. I had to pick it up later. :oops:

In that "rule", friction depends on force and the friction coefficient only. Surface area doesn't change the friction force.
While that rule applies to table surfaces in the laboratory, it does not apply to the complex interplay between the tire's tread and the irregular, crumbly surface of the tarmac.

Here, contact patch size does matter, and bigger contact area results in superior grip for cornering and braking.

Racing bicycles run 130PSI and more simply to reduce rolling resistance and maximize the forward momentum that can be generated by the limited human "horsepower". To run such pressures, the diameter of the tire carcass has to be very small. Otherwise, wall tension would require much thicker and heavier materials to contain such high pressure. Aerodynamic drag reduction is another reason for the skinny tires. It's not for traction reasons, as anyone who's ever tried to stop quickly or make sudden direction changes on a Cannondale will tell you.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
spewya
Spree
Spree

Post by spewya »

thanks
spree parts for sale

still learning alot ..thanks to all on this fourm

if you have a good spree jug ..pm me if you want to sell it
jlynn433
Spree
Spree

Post by jlynn433 »

spewya i couldnt help but notice ur from macomb too lol but heres my 10 cents: i have a honda elite s and it has 3k so ive been through tires. the best tires i ever had were the stock sized ones. they feel like they were made for the bike for a reason. they may not increase/decrease speed and are hi-tech and any other BS but i run them on my bike now. just a little friendly advice
'00 Honda Elite S.....................'06 Yamaha Zuma
-80cc Taiwanese BBK...............-Taiwan pwr pkg
-Malossi Vari
-6.9:1 Primary gears
-High Energy Ignition Coil
-Carbon Fiber Reeds
-Chrome CT Mani
-28mm OKO Carb
-Uni Pod Filter
-PG Long pipe