'87 Elite 50 (SE50P) top speed?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

'87 Elite 50 (SE50P) top speed?

Post by nightcruiser »

Hi again...
I have an elite 50 that I got used and dead, I have revived her and she has been running great for many miles now. I've always had fun riding it but had no idea how fast she could go cause the speedometer was broken. I found out the hard way that the plastic speedo gear is obsolite and pretty much unavailable these days. After searching and searching I finally took a chance and ordered the only gear I could find in the entire planet through ebay which was located in England. I was reluctant, but the guy got the NOS part to me really fast, put it in with a load of grease and the speedo works great now... (Lucky me!)

So this brings me to my real question. What is the expected top speed on this scooter? I top out at about 27MPH right now, the speedo goes up to 40MPH so I feel I am missing quite a bit of the top end? I don't want this bike to be a speed deamon, but it would be nice to be able to peg out this speedo... Riding 27MPH in traffic is brutal....

Before I get into the who de-restricting deal on this bike I would like to figure out what the expected top end should be while restricted? If it could do 35-40MPH that would be good enough for me....
Wheelman-111

Re: '87 Elite 50 (SE50P) top speed?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've never de-restricted a P model, so I'll leave that for others to advise. (WikiSpreedia or old threads...)
My Bone-Stock '87 Aero shared more parts than not with your SE, and it went 37 or so on GPS in cool weather.
The restrictions make sure it won't exceed 25 or 27 to comply with moped laws in certain states in the late 80s. However a healthy SE/05 engine is certainly capable of at least 35. A variator and perhaps a larger rear tire can make it approach 40.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
collgeprkbubbasprks
BMX
BMX

Post by collgeprkbubbasprks »

I have recently de-restricted my 1987 elite se50P with the following cheap modifications allowing it to reach 35 uphill and 45 to 47 downhill.

Unrestricted exhaust (off of an 87 se50 elite) 50 shipped
Keli variator- 40 shipped
Poloni ramp plate (am using the 8g rollers)-50
3.5 in rear tire (on stock rim with 2.75in tube)- 20 from craigslist

You could honestly go with the vt cycles one cause both the plate and variator would be 50 instead of 90 total and wouldn't make too much of a difference.
collgeprkbubbasprks
BMX
BMX

get an exhaust and ramp plate. you will see the majority of the difference there and easily go 35
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

collgeprkbubbasprks how fast on the flat???is that gps speed????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

replace the se50p ramp plate

With one from a 1994-2001 elite S or SR

Need more speed?
check out this link.
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... erformance
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

Trafficjamz wrote:replace the se50p ramp plate

Need more speed?
check out this link.
Thank you VERY MUCH for the details about what model year ramp plate I am to use. That is exactly the info I needed, since I have to seek out the part I might as well make SURE I seek out the part that will work...
Since I first posted on this topic I have done some reading and now I understand how this thing is working... (I think?)
The drive face is kinda like a variable size pulley, the ramp narrows the gap in the drive face to make the belt ride higher as the rpm goes up. My restricted ramp is only making the belt rise up so far, thus limiting the top end speed. Other ramps allow the belt to ride further up on the drive face therefore causing the scooter to go faster (like using the larger front gear on a mountain bike)
You didn't mention the rollers, but I read about different weight rollers and at first that confused me. Weight, not size I thought? But it makes sense after understanding this mechanism a bit. The whole thing is driven by the centrifugal force of rotation, objects naturally want to move outward away from the center of rotation. So the rollers move outward as the rotation increases pushing the ramp and closing the gap in the drive face. If this is the case the weight of the rollers would determine how fast and far outward they move, the heavier the rollers the faster and further out they move. (within the limits of the ramp plate)
Is this pretty close to what is really going on here?

Watching the following video of someone installing a Rukus variator kinda made everything click for me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii1YiJxHFk
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yup you got it!
Remember that the linear static force of the Driven Face opposes the dynamic and exponential centrifugal force of the rollers.
Changing the spring changes the transmission's behavior significantly. Stiffer springs also cause the belt to be gripped tighter in higher-output applications for less slip.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
collgeprkbubbasprks
BMX
BMX

swimmingfree wrote:collgeprkbubbasprks how fast on the flat???is that gps speed????
swimmingfree

with all the stuff listed earlier on my scooter i reach around 37-41 on flat depending on wind. And that's with my friend going next to me in his car. obviously not the best measurement but certainly consistent if flawed. I take my hog 25 mi one way to work each morning on 35 to 45 mph roads and do just fine
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Need more speed?
check out this link.
Why choose an af16 ramp instead of the nonrestricted af05 ramp plate?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

If your se50p is an Iowa model, the air box is another restriction.
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

eliteguy50 wrote:

Need more speed?
check out this link.
Why choose an af16 ramp instead of the nonrestricted af05 ramp plate?
I don't know, that is why I have been asking these questions. I have no idea what ramps will fit and derestrict this SE50P(A) (Non Iowa model).
I had responded in another thread where someone had derestricted their SE50P looking for more info, and had posted a WTB for the variator parts hoping to find the right parts. I got impatient waiting for response and ended up ordering a modified Polini ramp for an unrestricted SE50 from Ebay last night. It was brand new with three new sets of rollers for $50, the guy said it would fit my SE50P so I just went for it. I hope it works out, it seems like it should.....
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I did not see your wtb ad,

I would have given you a ss50 ramp plate.

LMK how the polini plate works out for you.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

Trafficjamz wrote:I did not see your wtb ad,

I would have given you a ss50 ramp plate.

LMK how the polini plate works out for you.
NOW you tell me! LOL
I had been looking for a ramp plate, posted this new thread, chimed in on one other thread where someone had achieved the results I am after with the same exact scooter I have (by just swapping in a non-restricted variator), and posted a WTB for unrestricted variator parts for a SE50P. I had hoped someone would help me find the part I need but all I got was enough info for me to find one on my own, which I am appreciative for.
That said, I would rather have a free ramp plate than a $50 Polini ramp plate, however high performance the Polini product is. It's too late at this point, ebay transaction is complete, I guess I am gonna see what a Polini is all about... This is supposed to be an upgrade ramp for a SA50/SE50, so it should be pretty sweet I am guessing...
It seems I got a fair deal, new Polini ramp with 3 sets of (new) rollers for $50... What do you think? I couldn't find anywhere to compare the price for the ramp, but the rollers alone seem to cost about $20 a set after shipping...
This is a link to the item...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1023844135
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Those look like tuning rollers, I wouldn't run them long term. If his offer is still open, you could sell the Polini ramp at a discount and get the free SA50 ramp.

SEF ramps usually sell for $15. I think Daytona ramps are $25. That is the only Polini ramp I've seen sold individually so I guess they go for $50.