cheap ways to get more hp on a honda spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

TexasHills
Goped
Goped

cheap ways to get more hp on a honda spree

Post by TexasHills »

Any ideas? Mufflers? Intake? Honky rigs?
Drag racing fuel? :)
86 Honda Spree with Taz Big Bore Kit
:newb:
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: cheap ways to get more hp on a honda spree

Post by martynkim »

Motor Transplant. A Spree is like a 1 speed bike. If you go too fast the pedals get away from you and wind up crashing. Aside from a different motor small gains can only be made with modifications.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

What year spree do you have? A bit of porting goes along way on a spree cylinder. The little things need to breathe. I did a bit of porting on my cyl. Nothing drastic, I diddnt raise the exhaust port yet, and it made a world of difference. If you have an 84 spree get the reed block and reeds from an 86 or 87 they are bigger, and then port your intake and port match the intake to the reed block. Bend your reed stopper back so it just clears the case when you put the reed block back in, it allows a bit more flow. Do some porting and you will see some better get up and go out of the little thing. Malossi actually makes fibreglass and carbon fibre reeds to fit the newer larger reed block for the spree. I had the fibre glass ones and they really woke my spree up, but make sure you use the stock reed stopper or the spree will eat the reeds for lunch(ask me how I know this ;-) . Have you seen the stage 3 upgrade kit from tazland001? It is a 48mm big bore kit a huge intake with matching huge reed block, 21mm carb and gears for better top end ratio. That will get some more power for sure, team all of that up with the tuned pipe that is going to be on the market soon and you should have quite a little machine for a spree.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

patthesoundguy wrote:What year spree do you have? A bit of porting goes along way on a spree cylinder. The little things need to breathe. I did a bit of porting on my cyl. Nothing drastic, I diddnt raise the exhaust port yet, and it made a world of difference. If you have an 84 spree get the reed block and reeds from an 86 or 87 they are bigger, and then port your intake and port match the intake to the reed block. Bend your reed stopper back so it just clears the case when you put the reed block back in, it allows a bit more flow. Do some porting and you will see some better get up and go out of the little thing. Malossi actually makes fibreglass and carbon fibre reeds to fit the newer larger reed block for the spree. I had the fibre glass ones and they really woke my spree up, but make sure you use the stock reed stopper or the spree will eat the reeds for lunch(ask me how I know this ;-) . Have you seen the stage 3 upgrade kit from tazland001? It is a 48mm big bore kit a huge intake with matching huge reed block, 21mm carb and gears for better top end ratio. That will get some more power for sure, team all of that up with the tuned pipe that is going to be on the market soon and you should have quite a little machine for a spree.

Sounds like alot of work for such little gains. Gears bore carb pipe= 300-400 bucks plus assembly and only 35-40 mph. Sa50 motor or se50 motor=150-250 no assembly required just drill one bolt hole shave a se50 mount a few mm and boom 45mph all day. 40$ variator 50$ gears and a 15$ trip to the machine shop for a head shave and your getting 55mph easy and still less money than building a spree motor! Later on when you save money you can build that sa50 and then have a REAL Monster spree. So much more potential in any variated engine vs. nonvariated crap. You know the very first mod i did to my spree? Before i rode it even once i ripped that motor out.
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

im with the king on this one if it aint fast enough stock and you need to go faster dont waste any money on that motor buy a se50/sa50 engine and do as king said to fit it you can spend $400 on all the taz goodies and a stock se50 motor on a spree frame will eat the taz special for lunch and half the price
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

TexasHills wrote:Any ideas? Mufflers? Intake? Honky rigs?
Drag racing fuel? :)
Cheap ways to me sounds like the simple cheap ideas that I put in my post. I did happen too mention the stage 3 kit because its cool.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

kingkamehameha wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:What year spree do you have? A bit of porting goes along way on a spree cylinder. The little things need to breathe. I did a bit of porting on my cyl. Nothing drastic, I diddnt raise the exhaust port yet, and it made a world of difference. If you have an 84 spree get the reed block and reeds from an 86 or 87 they are bigger, and then port your intake and port match the intake to the reed block. Bend your reed stopper back so it just clears the case when you put the reed block back in, it allows a bit more flow. Do some porting and you will see some better get up and go out of the little thing. Malossi actually makes fibreglass and carbon fibre reeds to fit the newer larger reed block for the spree. I had the fibre glass ones and they really woke my spree up, but make sure you use the stock reed stopper or the spree will eat the reeds for lunch(ask me how I know this ;-) . Have you seen the stage 3 upgrade kit from tazland001? It is a 48mm big bore kit a huge intake with matching huge reed block, 21mm carb and gears for better top end ratio. That will get some more power for sure, team all of that up with the tuned pipe that is going to be on the market soon and you should have quite a little machine for a spree.

Sounds like alot of work for such little gains. Gears bore carb pipe= 300-400 bucks plus assembly and only 35-40 mph. Sa50 motor or se50 motor=150-250 no assembly required just drill one bolt hole shave a se50 mount a few mm and boom 45mph all day. 40$ variator 50$ gears and a 15$ trip to the machine shop for a head shave and your getting 55mph easy and still less money than building a spree motor! Later on when you save money you can build that sa50 and then have a REAL Monster spree. So much more potential in any variated engine vs. nonvariated crap. You know the very first mod i did to my spree? Before i rode it even once i ripped that motor out.
You might want to remember that this site is called hondaspree.net, before you call a spree "non variated crap". You also might want to take in account that there are tons of people who rely on their sprees as a daily driver to commute to work and such. And for a lot of those folks doing things like bolting in a new motor as great as it may be is not an option so spending a few bucks here and there on simple things like some gasket material and a dremel type tool and some bits and possibly some cheap parts to mod from eBay or a 20$ ax24 belt and get a few more miles per hour or some better take off sounds good to me. don't get me wrong I'm not knocking how awesome bolting a better motor into a spree can and would be but... A stock spree is what it is and some of us kinda like em that way.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

If you dont want to swap the motor then have fun at 35 cause thats the most youll be doing. Id rather buy a motorized bike
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Having logged more than 1500 miles in a summer on the seat of a motorized bicycle, 35mph on the comfy seat of my spree is pretty darn nice. And from what I have observed on this forum the requests for more speed on a spree is to cruise at 35.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

if you like the spree stock then leave it stock dont waste mony trying to make it faster
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Really. Leave it stock?? A stock spree has no dead start power(bottom end) and has a hard time climbing hills. Top end is usually not what spree riders want. They want more lows and mids so they can get across the street without pushing the scooter with there feet. They want to climb a hill with some actual power. It just so happens that most sprees only go 25mph on a good day and with a few mods you can gain 10 to 20mph on the top. That is impressive for a solid pulley motor such as a spree. So when you upgrade a dio with a muffler , intake+carb, BBK, and gears you gain about 15 to 20 mph. Kinda ironic isnt it. I like both motors and sell parts for both motors but comparing the 2 is silly. Not everyone wants to swap in a sa50 motor. Its fun to make what you have faster. Also most of you dont even use a real dio engine. Most of you have only seen the dio's in pictures. Except my friends on the islands of course. You guys use the AF16 motor which is not a real dio engine. The real dio engine has a vacume line by the starter. I know the sa50(AF16) motor is 99.9% match but just to clarify they didnt come off a dio. lol

taz
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

you aint talking to me about dio motors cause thats all we have here none of them af16s around these parts i havent even seen one
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

paulpauly7 wrote:you aint talking to me about dio motors cause thats all we have here none of them af16s around these parts i havent even seen one
Yup you guys are lucky! There are a few af18s around here but not much. I do think the spree motor has a real sleek look to it i must say.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

tazland001 wrote:Really. Leave it stock?? A stock spree has no dead start power(bottom end) and has a hard time climbing hills. Top end is usually not what spree riders want. They want more lows and mids so they can get across the street without pushing the scooter with there feet. They want to climb a hill with some actual power. It just so happens that most sprees only go 25mph on a good day and with a few mods you can gain 10 to 20mph on the top. That is impressive for a solid pulley motor such as a spree. So when you upgrade a dio with a muffler , intake+carb, BBK, and gears you gain about 15 to 20 mph. Kinda ironic isnt it. I like both motors and sell parts for both motors but comparing the 2 is silly. Not everyone wants to swap in a sa50 motor. Its fun to make what you have faster. Also most of you dont even use a real dio engine. Most of you have only seen the dio's in pictures. Except my friends on the islands of course. You guys use the AF16 motor which is not a real dio engine. The real dio engine has a vacume line by the starter. I know the sa50(AF16) motor is 99.9% match but just to clarify they didnt come off a dio. lol

taz
You said it... When you live in a place like where I live, everything is hills period. I have to go up a fairly large long hill just to leave the house, so any low end grunt on my spree is absolutely needed for it to be useful. So some modding, actually anything I can do to make it want to climb a hill is almost worth it.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

a cvt trans would blow your mind up hill compared to a spree but hey you do it you way
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1