2001 Elite S 50 - Budget Entry Level Mods?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 2001 Elite S 50 - Budget Entry Level Mods?

Post by Trafficjamz »

16x42 is 9:1 ratio
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Bringing this thread back from the dead!

Post by W8kbrder »

So I followed everyone's suggestions and did the following:
-drilled out exhaust washer
-replaced .68 main jet in carb with .85
-prodigy variator w/ 7.5 rollers
-1.5k main clutch spring
-2k grabber springs
-installed dual throttle line to carb/oil pump
-replaced oil pump with de-restricted version
-bought 9:1 gears but have not pressed them in yet

With all that said, the thing accelerates MUCH quicker and tops out around 42mph...maybe a hair more on flat land.

But heres the problem: I kept noticing if I let it sit for more than a day without cranking it, I'd have to try cranking it for 10 min before it would come closing to starting. Took the carb apart and it was FULL of oil. So its as if its getting way too much oil.

1.) Should I replace the carb all together with a new one?

2.) Should I buy a whole new oil pump with the assumption that the one I am currently using is faulty?

3.) Do you guys recommend upgrading the carb to something bigger such as the OKO 24mm,28mm, and 30mm carbs since I will be installing the 9:1 gears and a new exhaust?

thanks!
Nick

With all of those done
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The carb probably isn't the problem. The pump must be leaking. That's what needs replacement.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Or you can just remove the oil pump, put in an oil plug, and run premix. How much was your prodigy variator and where'd you get it? (if you dont mind me asking)
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The carb probably isn't the problem. The pump must be leaking. That's what needs replacement.
Thanks! Yeah i was planning on doing that. Any links to the cheapest place to buy a new oil pump?

bfowler wrote:Or you can just remove the oil pump, put in an oil plug, and run premix. How much was your prodigy variator and where'd you get it? (if you dont mind me asking)
I got all my parts from Sleepy Scooters (http://sleepyscooters.yolasite.com/perf ... -parts.php)...mainly b/c he setup his site to make it easy for idiots like myself who have never done the mods previously. I liked how he had the same scooter with pictures of everything needed as well as descriptions of each and what they do once installed.
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

W8kbrder wrote: I got all my parts from Sleepy Scooters (http://sleepyscooters.yolasite.com/perf ... -parts.php)...mainly b/c he setup his site to make it easy for idiots like myself who have never done the mods previously. I liked how he had the same scooter with pictures of everything needed as well as descriptions of each and what they do once installed.
Hmmmmm I don't see the variator on there.
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

bfowler wrote:
W8kbrder wrote: I got all my parts from Sleepy Scooters (http://sleepyscooters.yolasite.com/perf ... -parts.php)...mainly b/c he setup his site to make it easy for idiots like myself who have never done the mods previously. I liked how he had the same scooter with pictures of everything needed as well as descriptions of each and what they do once installed.
Hmmmmm I don't see the variator on there.
Sorry...I'm guessing I got the variator somewhere else. I remember I went with a Prodigy Variator. Just wish I could remember where I bought it.
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Hey Wheelman....a few questions:

1.) Any links to a good place to buy a replacement oil pump?

2.) Any links to where I can buy a plug should I decide to delete the oil pump and run pre-mix?

3.) Lastly, what do you guys use for a ratio (oil to gas) when you run pre-mix?

thanks!...that should be the last of my newb questions!

Nick
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Oil pump seems pretty expensive if you want an entire brand new oem oil pump. Part #8 I believe. Can probably find one a used one for a lot cheaper on here if you post in the wanted/for sale section or on ebay. http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_ye ... -crankcase
Plugs can be found on ebay from various sellers such as daywot and you can also get them from vt cycles if you can get in touch with them http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-INJECTOR-PL ... 3f225497ae
And as far as gas to oil ratio, everyone seems to run 32:1
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Pumps pop up all the time as people delete theirs in favor of Premix. Put up a WTB.
VT cycles and DayWot and probably Tazland and many others sell the pump plugs. Shouldn't cost more than $15.
The ONE TRUE FAITH requires strict adherence to 32:1. Mine's about 35:1 and reports from Hawai'i indicate people using 40 and even 50:1. Reducing the oil content increases the relative content of Combustibles, but runs the risk of lube lack.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

I'm gonna be removing mine when I get back from summer break but that won't be till August and I doubt you want to wait that long haha
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

bfowler wrote:Oil pump seems pretty expensive if you want an entire brand new oem oil pump. Part #8 I believe. Can probably find one a used one for a lot cheaper on here if you post in the wanted/for sale section or on ebay. http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_ye ... -crankcase
Plugs can be found on ebay from various sellers such as daywot and you can also get them from vt cycles if you can get in touch with them http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-INJECTOR-PL ... 3f225497ae
And as far as gas to oil ratio, everyone seems to run 32:1
You know I bought a used oil pump from someone saying it was good...and its currently the one that is leaking. So with that said, I'm either going to buy it brand new....or do pre-mix. I'm just wondering if it gets annoying with premix...especially if you use part of your gas tank and have to fill up while you're out and away from home. however eliminating that problem area all together sounds good too.

Pumps pop up all the time as people delete theirs in favor of Premix. Put up a WTB.
VT cycles and DayWot and probably Tazland and many others sell the pump plugs. Shouldn't cost more than $15.
The ONE TRUE FAITH requires strict adherence to 32:1. Mine's about 35:1 and reports from Hawai'i indicate people using 40 and even 50:1. Reducing the oil content increases the relative content of Combustibles, but runs the risk of lube lack.
So from what I'm getting out of this quote....32:1 is the way to go. So 4 ounces of oil (1 gallon = 128 ounces) per gallon of fuel correct?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Fortunately Honda-san thoughtfully included cubbies and glove boxes to carry a quart of your preferred lube along with a little plastic measuring cup. Oh, and maybe a calculator.

When you pop into your local Gas 'n' Go, note the gallons pumped. Multiply by 128 and divide by 4, add that many ounces of oil. Pick the scooter up over your head and shake vigorously, and ride away all nicely gassy. Don't forget to throw in a wad of paper towels, in case the dispenser at the Gas place is empty.
Wheelman-111
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Fortunately Honda-san thoughtfully included cubbies and glove boxes to carry a quart of your preferred lube along with a little plastic measuring cup. Oh, and maybe a calculator.

When you pop into your local Gas 'n' Go, note the gallons pumped. Multiply by 128 and divide by 4, add that many ounces of oil. Pick the scooter up over your head and shake vigorously, and ride away all nicely gassy. Don't forget to throw in a wad of paper towels, in case the dispenser at the Gas place is empty.
Heh...you guys have this down to a science. Thanks!
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Ok one more question:

If I go with a 51mm Ruima big bore kit...will the stock oil pump suffice or do you have no choice but to run pre-mix?