Running Pre-Mix w/ Oil Pump Delete: Smoke issues normal?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Running Pre-Mix w/ Oil Pump Delete: Smoke issues normal?

Post by W8kbrder »

I recently deleted the Oil Pump and started running pre-mix. It seems to be putting off a good bit of white smoke at idle and WOT. Is this a sign of the carb needing to be tuned?....or is this normal when you run pre-mix? Or is it running rich/lean?

I still have the stock carb w/ .88 main jet. It cranks, idles and runs fine. Just puts off a good bit of white smoke.
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Running Pre-Mix w/ Oil Pump Delete: Smoke issues normal?

Post by swimmingfree »

don't remember what bike your running ??? .. are you running 32/1....
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

W8kbrder wrote:I recently deleted the Oil Pump and started running pre-mix. It seems to be putting off a good bit of white smoke at idle and WOT. Is this a sign of the carb needing to be tuned?....or is this normal when you run pre-mix? Or is it running rich/lean?

I still have the stock carb w/ .88 main jet. It cranks, idles and runs fine. Just puts off a good bit of white smoke.

Too much oil....
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

swimmingfree wrote:don't remember what bike your running ??? .. are you running 32/1....
swimmingfree
Its a 2001 Honda Elite S. Yes I'm running 32:1 exactly. Even have a little bottle that measures it out perfect. It runs great. No hesitation. Idles great. Cold starts perfect.

Just was a bit concerned about the smoke. Figured maybe I accidentally turned either the air or fuel mixture screw when I cleaned out the carb. Plus I've never run pre-mix in the past so I didn't know if it was a normal thing.

Also, I've always used Honda oil that I pick up from the local shop...but I'm curious if it is even possible to run any type of 2-cycle oil for small engines?
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

Also, I've always used Honda oil that I pick up from the local shop...but I'm curious if it is even possible to run any type of 2-cycle oil for small engines? im not willing to say if you shood ...

as for the pre mix it is a little richer in oil then it wood be running the Oil Pump so dont freek out just keep a spare plug with you it will go bad faster...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

swimmingfree wrote:Also, I've always used Honda oil that I pick up from the local shop...but I'm curious if it is even possible to run any type of 2-cycle oil for small engines? im not willing to say if you shood ...

as for the pre mix it is a little richer in oil then it wood be running the Oil Pump so dont freek out just keep a spare plug with you it will go bad faster...
swimmingfree
Cool thanks for the advice. I wanted to make sure I had everything up and running decent before I venture down the Big Bore Kit route.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

What mods do you have other than the 88 main? Im assuming its derestricted if your running an 88.I get minimal smoke running 32:1 in my 65cc af05. I'm sure you'll notice a lot less when you install your bore as well. Until then I'd say run the smoke or tone down the premix to 40:1. Also Honda oil is great stuff, but there are others out there. I just choose one and stick with it. When I installed my polini bore I switched to klotz r50.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

I run 25:1 on my jog LOL
:naughty: motor last long too. :surprise:
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Vast majority of dirt bikes use 20:1 and there is tests to prove more power and less wear using that mix ratio. I run around 30:1.
Depending on what type of oil you use also will make different amounts of smoke. Ive noticed kinds like klotz, yamalube, motul, and the cheap gas station weed eater oil all have a heavy amount of smoke compared to Maxima, lucas, and amsoil.
In the end the amount of oil is really dependent of the rpms you want to achieve, but minimum should be 40:1 in my opinion on a stock scooter. I agree with veedub about the yamahas, they rev higher and need more oil, but beware more oil if its not great oil can make your rings stick if you dont run it often.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

I heard minarelli jog runs 40:1 premix, it is good to runs same oil, every oil are differ grade and weight. thin or slimey.. LOL

i havent ride my jog for 4 month, it is normal get more smoke on cold engine, then motor sputter. when I changed plug and she run good.
I use 710 motul oil , on auto pump and premix.

if ride everyday moped (scooter) then no problem wont get heavy smoke on idle than sitting ( not riding).

20 buck a bottle.
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

Hey guys,

So I siphoned my gas tank and drained out the carb. Made up another batch of pre-mix using a different type of oil...and no smoke issues anymore. I'm guessing it was the oil?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Good deal, just dont mix too little oil. Too much will equal a new plug, too little will get you a new cylinder.
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

LoveMyHonda wrote:Good deal, just dont mix too little oil. Too much will equal a new plug, too little will get you a new cylinder.
Too much oil will lean your a/f out as well. More oil doesnt mean your bore wont overheat and fry. All it equals is more lubrication not less heat.
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Yup for sure.