1994 Elite...time for big bore? Help me out!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

rboarderi
Goped
Goped

1994 Elite...time for big bore? Help me out!

Post by rboarderi »

So I have a 1994 Elite S with 800 miles that I have converted to an SR. This is what I have done so far:

Ground out and de-restricted exhaust
Upjetted carb to SR 78 jet
New SR oil pump
New SR spilt oil pump cable
New Honda belt
Naraku variator (7g weights)
9:1 Gears

With this set up I am hitting around 44 on the flats and have topped out at 49.9 downhill. Even with the lighter weights and new variator I lost a bit of low end because of the gears. Is there anyway for me to get that low end back without a BBK, exhaust and carb?

If I go the BBK route I really would rather not modify my case. I would like to simply bolt on my new parts, tune the carb and ride. What BBK/exhaust/carb/ect combo would I want to look into purchasing that would not require modifying my case? Am I missing anything else I would need to purchase that I didn't list off? I'm not looking to have the fastest scooter around but I would like to be pretty fast off the line and maybe get into the low to mid 60's as well. Can anyone help?
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1994 Elite...time for big bore? Help me out!

Post by ped »

Hi rboarderi.
PM Red Eft Performance for a polini contesta BBK and bolt it on up jet to 91main jet that's it. power and speed. good luck.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

rboarderi wrote:So I have a 1994 Elite S with 800 miles that I have converted to an SR. This is what I have done so far:

Ground out and de-restricted exhaust
Upjetted carb to SR 78 jet
New SR oil pump
New SR spilt oil pump cable
New Honda belt
Naraku variator (7g weights)
9:1 Gears

With this set up I am hitting around 44 on the flats and have topped out at 49.9 downhill. Even with the lighter weights and new variator I lost a bit of low end because of the gears. Is there anyway for me to get that low end back without a BBK, exhaust and carb?

If I go the BBK route I really would rather not modify my case. I would like to simply bolt on my new parts, tune the carb and ride. What BBK/exhaust/carb/ect combo would I want to look into purchasing that would not require modifying my case? Am I missing anything else I would need to purchase that I didn't list off? I'm not looking to have the fastest scooter around but I would like to be pretty fast off the line and maybe get into the low to mid 60's as well. Can anyone help?
First, yes, you can get the low end back somewhat. Use a 1000 rpm torque spring and get an asst. of the small clutch springs to fine tune to your weight for clutch "lock-up", maybe 1000, 1500, and 2000. It will depend on the clutch shoe "weights" that you have. The stock 1994 shoes are a bit heavier than the later years' shoes. Therefore, needing a heavier spring on the shoes. You will have to experiment to find your best fit. I keep extra set-up clutches for tuning as it's so much easier than trying to do it with just one. The threads are easy to strip also so be careful.
Second, you will need a bbk to get to anything near 60 mph. There is just not enough motor in the 49cc's to bring that speed. 9:1's is about it for the stock 49cc's to pull. Have fun and Happy Trails!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
rboarderi
Goped
Goped

Post by rboarderi »

I think I'm going to go the contessa / 91 upjet route. Anyone have any other suggestions of anything else I might need or any comments on this set up?
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I think the Corsa comes with a 82 main jet, but that's for the JDM carb.

...and, if you're going to spend the time to break-in a new kit, you might as well get the Corsa.
rboarderi
Goped
Goped

Post by rboarderi »

Installed a Malossi BBK last night and I am breaking it in right now. I am currently running a drilled 91 jet and premixing 30:1 in addition to the SR oil pump. I am going to run through 2-3 tanks with this oil mix for break in. After break in does anyone recommend a mix ratio or is it possible to just run with just my SR pump and SR cable. I would rather not just ditch my pump and cable as I just got them brand new a few months back. If I need extra oil in addition to the pump I would rather just dump it in the tank. Anyone have any suggestions?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Most modders and I run 32:1 premix, break-in as well as daily riding. More oil isn't necessarily better. You just need Enough. If you're really running 30:1 PLUS the pump, you've got yourself down below 20:1 total, which will require bigger jetting and still your engine may run hot. All the oil in the world won't save a hot engine.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
rboarderi
Goped
Goped

Post by rboarderi »

I said that I was running the pump plus 30:1 just for break in. I will change that for my next tank though. So would you recommend something closer to 40:1 or 50:1 premix if I plan on keeping the SR pump?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes, I got that you intend to use the mix+pump for break-in. I'm saying that's a Bad Idea. Doesn't really help anything if the engine gets enough oil anyway, and can cause harm, sometimes catastrophic harm. Even during low-RPM break in. Don't ax how I know this... (Flash IV)

If you keep the SR Pump, your Shiny New Malossi could use 75:1 supplemental, at most. At 40 or even 50:1, we're back to WAY too much oil. Some modders run those ratios withOUT a pump. I prefer 32:1 because, well, I'm worried like you about being too low. At that ratio the smoke is acceptable and the plug doesn't foul. I'm on my 4th cylinder without a problem using it.

Between the extremes is usually found the right answer.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
rboarderi
Goped
Goped

Post by rboarderi »

Thanks so much for the help so far everyone. Okay so now I'm running the SR pump as well as 75:1 in the tank. I have it idling fine but am having some troubles tuning the carb. I am running a drilled 91 jet in the stock carb. I am getting a little bit of stuttering when starting out from a stop and also some hesitation/bogging from time to time when I try to accelerate quickly when already rolling at 20-25mph. I am looking to regain a smooth acceleration that I had previously. Any help would be much appreciated!

Do I need to up jet, down jet, punch out second air box tab or just tune the carb better? The plug looks good, I have attached a picture. Also my temps have been good so far as well, the highest temp I have hit it right around 330.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.56 KiB) Viewed 8397 times
Last edited by rboarderi on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Still rich methinks.
Wheelman-111
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

What is your mixture screw set at?
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
rboarderi
Goped
Goped

Post by rboarderi »

I have been playing around with the air/fuel screw all day but right now it is about 3 3/8 turns out.
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

rboarderi wrote:I have been playing around with the air/fuel screw all day but right now it is about 3 3/8 turns out.
That should be too lean.

Whats it do if you do 1 turn out?

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
rboarderi
Goped
Goped

Post by rboarderi »

I'll start with one turn out in the morning and let you know!