Rebuild carb on AF05 OR Upgrade?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

wizbit
BMX
BMX

Rebuild carb on AF05 OR Upgrade?

Post by wizbit »

My recently recommissioned NE50 (UK Vision) is looking like it needs a new needle jet as it's dumping the fuel in the bowl on to the road. I can see a miniscule amount of wear on the needle/float jet and it's probably a good idea to replace it. It seems to be recommended that the float gets replaced as well. Well looking at UK prices that's about £50-£60. I guess around $80. I'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading to a bigger carb instead of spending this on parts. I have the standard KEIHIN PA04H carb do you guys think I should upgrade and if so what to? :wink:

(Honda NE50MF Vision standard apart from deristricted Promo exhaust and main jet #82 getting 37mph on the flat approx 42mph down the hills)
Wheelman-111

Re: Rebuild carb on AF05 OR Upgrade?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Since you're in the EEC, scope for an Arreche-for-Honda 17.5 or 19mm. Looks stock-ish. Bolts up to the existing manifold and airbox, and even uses stock cable and Bystarter. If you plan to keep the stock pipe and bore, 17.5 is plenty. Go 19 if you have an aftermarket pipe or aspire to 65cc.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wizbit
BMX
BMX

Post by wizbit »

Many thanks for the response. I have an aftermarket pipe with stock cylinder but I'm thinking of getting a big bore kit so I guess the 19mm is the one to go for assuming it's ok with just the aftermarket exhaust? I think this may be the one:
http://www.racing-planet.co.uk/carburet ... dfcd33c448

I've taken the stock carb apart and blown out everything with aerosol carb cleaner, reassembled, test ridden and the fuel dumping from the overflow has stopped so at least it's rideable again. I had taken it apart prior to the problem so it's possible I got some dirt in it although I am usually very careful.

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I believe that picture is Generic, and not the carb you'll get. If they do ship one like that, it won't fit. Note the flange configuration; The "dog ears" should point down, not up. The 17.5 I once had was top quality, replaceable Pilot, fit like a dream and worked like a charm.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Cam-V53
BMX
BMX

Post by Cam-V53 »

I was looking at that 19mm carb but wasnt sure if it would fit on my '86 af05 motor
'86 Aero 62cc bbk, malossi wild lion, stock Ruckus variator, more to come...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yeah I believe the manifold flange dimensions and shapes are the same. Don't always trust the pic in the listing - sometimes it's Generic. Nice-looking pipe. I'll bet there are Aero owners who'd like to know where to get one.
Wheelman-111
wizbit
BMX
BMX

Post by wizbit »

Thanks for the advice. Any idea how big a main jet you can get away with on the standard carb before the engine floods?
The pipe was bought from Italy from the same guy who sold one to Nobbylad (another UK Vison owner on this forum). Nobbylad got an expansion pipe and I went for the chromed good looking one. It sounds much better than the original but there are no savage pops on the over-run. It cost me more than the actual bike LOL!
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I'll bet there are Aero owners who'd like to know where to get one.
Like this guy!!! I'd love an expansion type if they are still available. Nice looking vision btw.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Scooterwerx and others I learned from in 2008 reported using 105s or more in a stock carb. It's not clear how "engine flooding" can occur, but if the jet is too big performance will simply decrease.
Wheelman-111
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I'm curious about this place you got the pipe from. Where there lurks a vision or aero 50 pipe there may be a lead 80 or 90 pipe ;-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
wizbit
BMX
BMX

Post by wizbit »

Sorry for late reply. It was from an individual in Italy. Try a worldwide ebay search there seems to be some gems over in Italy as they love their mini machines over there. The guy only had two pipes and they both sold. I had to drill/widen the holes on the hanger bracket slightly but that was just a minor issue. I haven't done anymore upgrades as yet as we are having a glorious hot summer in the UK and I'm making the most of it. Still would like to do a carb and manifold upgrade if I ever work out what will work.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

That's an admirably clean NB, but when will Her Majesty require a BIG license plate?

The 05 engine afficionados have sorted out how to fashion an adaptor plate to permit the use of a CT Chrome manifold and all the carbys (21mm) it makes possible.
Wheelman-111