What to do; what to do. . . AF16 blew!

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

What to do; what to do. . . AF16 blew!

Post by Sheeshee »

Hey folks!

So my beloved stock AF16 finally blew on the Spree (bottom ring went). I got a good amount of miles on that thing (most of them with the throttle wide open), considering that when I bought it it was pulled from a scoot with a good amount of miles already. Sooooo I guess that means it's time to build er' up!

Big Bore Suggestions?
I don't want to go with a full race build--too impractical for my uses, most of the time I'm just cruising around town not the track. I've been looking at the Malossi cast iron bore, as I've heard that this is a more mild set up than the MHR. Has anyone else used this set up before? What kind of power should I expect from it? How much different would it be from an MHR or Corsa? I wouldn't necessarily mind going with a race build, but reliability IS a concern of mine.

Carb Setup?
Also, I was wondering what carb set-up others are using? I'm guessing OKO. . . What size (and jetting) do you think would work best for this Malossi cast iron bore (unless I am persuaded to use another bore)? I live in Southern California; the weather is basically always nice (usually mid 70s), and I'm not in the mountains or anything. Do those carbs come with manual chokes, or is that something I would have to purchase separately?

Exhaust!!!
One of the most compelling reasons for me to consider building the AF would be to junk the stock exhaust. I love how 2 strokes sound, and the stock pipe is anything but inspiring. . . . What pipes are people running? Ideally, I want this thing to sound like a little dirt-bike.

Fork Swap? Or no?
The bike already has 9:1 gears, and downhill (tucked) I've hit 60+mph on multiple occasions. The front end held up, but didn't inspire a whole lot of confidence (granted, I am running a junky--though new--tire on the front). If I were to beef the bike up a bit, are the forks something to seriously worry about? They just look so dinky. Honestly, they look like they were pulled from a child's mountain bike. I'm sure I'll get a mixed review on this one. . . . Granted, I have hit those speeds pretty consistently without dying, but if swapping forks is a fairly easy endeavor, both in labor and sourcing of parts, I would seriously consider it.

Opinions? Experiences? Share them!

Thanks! :coolcruise:
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Re: What to do; what to do. . . AF16 blew!

Post by Sheeshee »

graphite9 wrote:Polini corsa or contessa, intake manifold, and a polini 24mm. Solid 65mph setup. Only pipes That sound like dirtbikes, are chamber style pipes. B moon, fabrizi, arrow, technigas. I can put you a package together if your interested. The corsa and contessa have zero issues with being ridden reliably. They are awesome kits. The malossi is great, but if your going to do it, go for the contessa or corsa.

Mhr and corsa will be close to the same performance, bolt on. But, the corsa is rebuildable. If you break a ring, or seize a mhr, you can't rebore the cylinder, unless you want to spend $200 having it bored and relined. Once you wear out the polini, buy an oversized piston, rings and a bore, then your back up and running with a completely fresh top end.

And for the front end, disk brake is possible, but it requires some creativity, and it's expensive. A set of wheels, and all the disk brake style and your around $700. For a basic setup. Unfortunately nobody makes a tree that it bolt on for the elite. I used to make them, but the demand wasn't there to support the expense of hand building them.
Cool! Thanks for the info! I'll definitely grab some parts from ya! I'll send ya a PM!
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250