Speed up SE50P?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Re: Speed up SE50P?

Post by nightcruiser »

Yah, the final drive is another issue, I see the non restricted SE50 definitely has a different gear ratio there, but this seems to be the most difficult and expensive part for me to upgrade.... unless I can find a junk unrestricted SE50, which would be a godsend actually, cause it would have all the parts I need and I would be able to compare one to the other. Wishful thinking there though, cause even if I find a junk SE50, in my area they will most likely all be the restricted model like I have. I've seen some quotes from people saying they are achieving the speeds I'm looking for running the 11/1 gear set I have, so I don't think I'm gonna try and tackle that at this point. I guess 3 years down the road I might be back asking questions about the final reduction though..... lol
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

what state do you live in????
swimmijngfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

Illinois
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

are you sure you have the 11/1 ????
sw2immingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

Going by the chart on the WIKI on that... and assuming I have the SE50P A (not AA) from the air box. But now that you question it I am going to go out and check the serial number and compare it to the list to be sure.
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

I just took a look at the tags, on the gas tank it says "SE50P H -A" The "H" has a circle around it on the tag.
Under the carriage I found another tag showing "JH2AF 121 1 HS00XXXX".... both of which confirm this is the semi-restricted model in the center column on the WIKI (http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... erformance). So if that chart is right I should have the 11:1 gear ratio.

The thing that troubles me about that chart is it shows the same size carb jet on this model and the unrestricted model??? I thought it would be the restricted and more restricted models that would have the same (smaller) jet. Which lead me to ask if it is just the exhaust (and oil pump) that is different on my engine compared to the non restricted model......
Last edited by nightcruiser on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

did you look at this one we have here????http://www.hondaspree.net/other/SE50_19 ... Manual.pdf
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

Yah, I got that 3 years ago when I first resurrected this scooter.... but I guess I didn't realize until just now that it covers the restricted and non restricted model. Looking at the carb section here it shows my SE50P having the #82 jet as I had expected to see, so the WIKI page is wrong on that I guess (it says #85 for my model). So that clears up that confusion for me, thanks.
I also notice in the oil pump section it says if you're getting too much oil you will get hard start and white smoke, too little oil and you can damage the engine. So it seems there may be some adjustement? IDK, gonna read over that manual a bit more hoping to fine more clues to the differences and probably rip the scooter apart this weekend.

Thanks for all of your help....
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

Just thought I would pop in for an update.

I sourced an exhaust and a carb from an '87 Aero and a new genuine Honda #85 jet. The Aero carb came with a #78 jet but has some different emulsion tube that I was told would make the jet perform as if it were bigger.

I debated a while and decided the first move would be to install the exhaust... good call! It's whole new scooter with the Aero exhaust, has acceleration that will pull you from start right through 35MPH, and will keep on going to peg the speedometer now!

I looked into the oil pump and as far as I can tell the unresrticted SE50 and the restricted SE50P both have the same oil pump. So I adjusted the cable so it pulled the oil pump as wide open as possible at full throttle, it was nowhere near that setting on the SE50P. I have to assume they adjust the oil pump cable lighter for the SE50P and heavier for the SE50 since they both use the same pump. Hopefully I am right and I don't burn her up!

I decided to take a look at the stock jet from my SE50P and compare to the #85 I bought. They are the same, so my SE50P came with a #85 jet. Since I had two of the same jets, one brand new, I decided to take my mini drill bit set and drill out the older jet. I went from #95 drill bit to #94 drill bit, just a tiny bit bigger, didn't take much to drill out the jet (using the drill bit on an exacto blade type handle) I thought the scooter would come to life a little more but it actually got a little more sluggish in both acceleration and top speed.

I decided to put the brand new (stock) #85 jet back in and call it a day, no need to mess with the Aero carb. The thing gets up and goes now like nobodies business, I can take off from a stop light and hit 30-35MPH without cars right up behind me and can peg the speedo at 40MPH if need be, I'm good!