Malossi Cylinder Salvage

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Malossi Cylinder Salvage

Post by Drifter562 »

Hey guys I have a 68cc malossi cylinder that I left outside of the box in my shed I did notice some rusting and also it looks like part of the cylinder skirt got chipped off just wanted some feedback on what choices I have available if it all
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Re: Malossi Cylinder Salvage

Post by Drifter562 »

Yeah I have a bottle of rust away that I bought from from oreillys pretty good stuff
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

And so your saying I could smooth out the huge looking nick in the 3rd pic What do I need just some sand paper
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Drifter562 wrote:And so your saying I could smooth out the huge looking nick in the 3rd pic What do I need just some sand paper
Thats not a nick, but a chunk. IDK what you could do there, but its more than a chip as the 2nd photo...
whitey
Spree
Spree

Post by whitey »

Make sure the piston slides through the cylinder. Take the rings out and set them aside and drop the piston through the cylinder, it should move freely. If it rubs by the cylinder skirt sand the cylinder down until it doesn't rub anymore. Clean it really well and oil the cast iron.
01 Honda Elite S 120cc Taida H20
78 Honda Hobbit Athena
78 Honda Express/Hobbit Stage6/Athena LC 70
00 Gilera Runner PM Tuning 172
09 Aprillia SR50 Malossi Team MHR
81 Puch ZA50 Polini
71 CT70 Blue
79 Z50 Red
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

That third picture shows a good sized chunk missing from the cylinder , the second picture shows a tiny chip missing. I wonder how far that crack extends, did you magnaflux to see if the crack continues ?
I realize that the piston doesn't use that spot as thrust support, and that the rings don't contact that spot, but that is a large chunk missing, looks like someone dropped the cylinder on a concrete floor or some similar destructive fate.
Not a prime part I would want on my best bike, perfect part to use for a research and development dyno engine.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Those bores often have casting flaws. That cylinder more than likely came from malossi in that fashion. I've gone through 5 68cc malossi and 2 65cc polini. The cost of magnafluxing is relatively cheap and I'd have it checked if in deed it was dropped.
Don't run the piston through it but take your finger nail and scrape along the area around the chip and see if it catches on anything. I use the back of my pointer finger nail. If nothing catches, then and only then drop your piston from the top to the bottom.
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

Yeah I mean it's nice sized chunk fortunately it's a clean break,piston goes in smoothly but I will smooth that out should I use a dremel? I'm going to try and use it I'll install it today and see what happens
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

If you use a dremel you have to use hand files to smooth out the rough cuts you're going to cause from a low speed tool. I usually run around 10k rpm when I cut.