What exactly is needed for "easiest" front disc conversion?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

johnny248
Elite
Elite

What exactly is needed for "easiest" front disc conversion?

Post by johnny248 »

I've read through this stuff a lot, and it seems like a lot of different people have used different approaches and parts to do a front suspension and disc brake conversion. I was hoping someone could list what parts are needed for an ideal setup of the easiest kind.

From what I have gathered, I think the easiest way to go is with a tripple tree/fork setup from a Metro. Seems to require less modification to the headset or plastics on the bike? And then I think a different set of bearings? Not sure what these should be for. Then obviously I guess some performance front disc brake shocks, a front disc hub and wheel, rotor, caliper, master assy, hose. Is there anything else? And when it comes to the weel and hub, I'm assuming a Dio disc wheel and hub? Would the caliper, rotor, and master all be "for Dio" also? If someone could make a parts list, that would be awesome.

Would it make sense to purchase something like this (below) along with a Metro front fork setup? Or am I going about this the wrong way? And If that is the way to go, do they make matching rear wheels?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171675563967

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171675565903
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
bonesv

Re: What exactly is needed for "easiest" front disc conversi

Post by bonesv »

johnny248 wrote:I've read through this stuff a lot, and it seems like a lot of different people have used different approaches and parts to do a front suspension and disc brake conversion. I was hoping someone could list what parts are needed for an ideal setup of the easiest kind.

From what I have gathered, I think the easiest way to go is with a tripple tree/fork setup from a Metro. Seems to require less modification to the headset or plastics on the bike? And then I think a different set of bearings? Not sure what these should be for. Then obviously I guess some performance front disc brake shocks, a front disc hub and wheel, rotor, caliper, master assy, hose. Is there anything else? And when it comes to the wheel and hub, I'm assuming a Dio disc wheel and hub? Would the caliper, rotor, and master all be "for Dio" also? If someone could make a parts list, that would be awesome.

Would it make sense to purchase something like this (below) along with a Metro front fork setup? Or am I going about this the wrong way? And do they make matching rear wheels?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171675563967

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171675565903
He has the rear wheel also. It's listed in red in the ad. Jiangwayne.com might have a better price and is the same company.
It's my understanding that you have to either modify the stem, or modify the frame.
The elite frame-neck is too long to use the metro/or ruckus stem as it is so it has to be lengthened, and/or adapted to fit the elite handlebars.
Or, if you can find a different headset, with the bars to match it, you can shorten the neck of the elite frame and run the metro/or ruckus handlebars. The elite handlebars are pretty much unique in the way they mount to the stem. I have not seen any other scooters with the same design in the U.S. market.....maybe use the sb50 handlebars? They had the same headlight????
And wow, that's a lot of money to spend for those new parts you linked to on eBay. Plus the back wheel to match. And labor/time, to mod/assemble.

It's good you are asking questions now, rather than later.......
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Well, when I looked around before, it seems like average cost to do a full swap with new aftermarket parts was about $600.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Yea, I guess you're right, the price is getting lower for good aftermarket parts. But don't forget that still does not include the stem and whatever mods, or the rear wheel/ tires. Easy 1k, but that's a hot set up! I do like! :love:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I don't really feel like spending a grand for something like this. I don't mind doing some modifications, cutting and welding. I would prefer to not have to hack up the glove box though.

Id probably spend $600 on everything. Id like it to be a nice quality setup though. Cruzinggratiot has an awesome setup with NCY forks, huge brake, and a master that fits under the factory plastic and looks all stock. I don't know what kind of money is it, but in looks beautiful in person.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Here's an idea.......If you could find a Daelim Cordi scooter, you could use the disc front end incl. the wheels but use the metro stem, it would save you big time cash. The Cordi has a much thicker stem that will not even fit into an elite frame. However, I did notice the Cordi handlebars were very similar to the dio zx. So they would fit the top of the metro stem without mods there. You could do a naked handlebar set up and skip the plastics/speedo problem. It's there you just have to ditch idea of all the new stuff. Paint looks good and it's cheaper/no shipping.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

motormike

Post by motormike »

I wish Trafficjamz would show up magically at your front door,
and then sprinkle some fairy-dust on your scoot,
and when the smoke cleared,
your disc-brake dreams had come true...Happy holidays, both of you... :urban:
Attachments
Santa scooter.jpg
Santa scooter.jpg (206.98 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I love mine. The ncy low down and met fork is awesome with the ncy big brake. I think it's pretty big but that one you have is too much ha!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

motormike wrote:I wish Trafficjamz would show up magically at your front door,
and then sprinkle some fairy-dust on your scoot,
and when the smoke cleared,
your disc-brake dreams had come true...Happy holidays, both of you... :urban:
Happy Hollydays to you too MotorMike! :thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

EastCoastCB
Spree
Spree

Post by EastCoastCB »

graphite9 wrote:1man your setup rocks. It was a kit, designed to fit. When you try to do it yourself, its a pain. For instance, your ncy big caliper would not have worked with my wheels.
Yes building one's own "kit" can be frustrating.
Thanks for all the scooter eye candy, man!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

EastCoastCB wrote:
graphite9 wrote:1man your setup rocks. It was a kit, designed to fit. When you try to do it yourself, its a pain. For instance, your ncy big caliper would not have worked with my wheels.
Yes building one's own "kit" can be frustrating.
Thanks for all the scooter eye candy, man!
It doesn't have to be complicated, just planned. Keep it simple and it it can be done easily. If you're just trying to impress us with a lot of brand new high-end bling it will be expensive!
I'm speaking from my experience. Good luck with it johnny248......
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

im working on getting my front end done this winter. gotta get this dang rotor off the zx wheel so i can refinish them. im piecing my stuff together.

zx wheels
ncy caliper and 200mm rotor
SSS 12mm legs (to be purchased)
secret stem
secret headset
secrets
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

secrets don't make friends alex!!!