elite 50s main spring in clutch elite 50s 1987

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

elite 50s main spring in clutch elite 50s 1987

Post by needmoreinfo »

So far I have had a good boost in gains since installing the leo vince sp3 and the included rollers as well as the polini variator and polini belt. I have blue clutch springs to install also but have not been able to get access to an impact tool to get the clutch bell off. (I tried) Once I do get it off I was wondering if I should change the main clutch spring also and to what RPM spring. I orderd a 2kRPM one but since im pretty much stock other than the pipe I was wondering if that is too much? Should I leave the main spring alone? I was told that after 30 years the spring could be weak. I could install 1.5k also. I would love to know what would be optimal. I also orderd a #88 jet to get a bit more fuel. Not really looking to go any further than this unless I find a big bore kit that is cheap and easy. thanks I just needmoreinfo
Wheelman-111

Re: elite 50s main spring in clutch elite 50s 1987

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Impact tools are unnecessary if you have one of these. Jetting up with an aftermarket pipe is a Good Idea, because your RPMs probably went up along with the need for a bit more fuel. The +2000K springs have been known to fracture the weld of the driven pulley, with sudden-stop consequences. a +1500 should be plenty. You may need to reload the variator with a few more grams however. Think of the variator's total load, like 36 grams. Make changes in 3-gram increments and re-test. A gram scale comes in handy, because you can't always rely on the number stamped on the rollers.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

Post by needmoreinfo »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Impact tools are unnecessary if you have one of these. Jetting up with an aftermarket pipe is a Good Idea, because your RPMs probably went up along with the need for a bit more fuel. The +2000K springs have been known to fracture the weld of the driven pulley, with sudden-stop consequences. a +1500 should be plenty. You may need to reload the variator with a few more grams however. Think of the variator's total load, like 36 grams. Make changes in 3-gram increments and re-test. A gram scale comes in handy, because you can't always rely on the number stamped on the rollers.

I actually did get one of those tools on amazon, It is handy for removing the variator also, I did everything I could but still could not remove the clutch bell. maybe I will try again with a steel pipe to add leverage. I was going to wait until I can go see a friend that has the impact tool. That brings me to anther point. Do the clutch shoes ever need replacing? Ive got 7k miles. Also, do I need to drill the airbox to accommodate the new jet? Im clocking in at 48mph GPS so I feel thats pretty respectable, but I was wondering if it would be starved for air once the new jets go in. Thanks
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Popping holes in your airbox will muck with the idle and low-RPM jetting. Except for opening the second hole - examination will make this self-explanatory, I recommend you don't plough too many holes.

Clutch shoes shouldn't be too work at 7K miles.

You need a good 14mm socket to grip the clutch nut, and some way to keep the assembly from spinning. Apparently someone was too eager with the torque on yours. A cheater bar usually works, but careful not to round off the nut.

48MPH on 50ccs is more than just respectable.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
needmoreinfo
BMX
BMX

Post by needmoreinfo »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Popping holes in your airbox will muck with the idle and low-RPM jetting. Except for opening the second hole - examination will make this self-explanatory, I recommend you don't plough too many holes.

Clutch shoes shouldn't be too work at 7K miles.

You need a good 14mm socket to grip the clutch nut, and some way to keep the assembly from spinning. Apparently someone was too eager with the torque on yours. A cheater bar usually works, but careful not to round off the nut.

48MPH on 50ccs is more than just respectable.

Thank you, I will give it a try and return the 2k spring for a 1.5k one. I guess the polini roller kit from SSS would be a good buy? The last question I have is about the jets. Do the gy6 jets from ebay and china sites work with the honda oem carbs? I am pretty sure I just need the #88 one.

Thanks again
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Ive wedged a 8" socket extension between my rim and engine case, then tighten up back brake a bit and put the parking brake on. A standard ratchet and a few hits on the handle with a rubber mallet took my clutch bolt off. Didn't bend my rim either.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified