Just did 48mm bbk and oil leaks from exhaust

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Just did 48mm bbk and oil leaks from exhaust

Post by Meatball »

85' NQ50. Just did the Taz 48mm bbk upgrade and Im in the break-in period with 50/1 mix. After my short trips at low speed/rpm for break-in, I notice oil leaking from the connection at the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. My gasket looked ok (I thought) so I just re-used my old one. Its not leaking a ton but its beginning to pool in the valley below the exhaust connection. Should I just buy a new gasket? Wouldn't that just force the oil into my muffler? It seems to run fine in the 3-4 miles Ive put on it since the install but I haven't gotten into the higher rpm's yet for break-in. Thoughts?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Re: Just did 48mm bbk and oil leaks from exhaust

Post by Peteyparado »

Change it!!! Your motor will be running at higher temps.. I would stick to heat cycles for now.. If u have to run it keep at lower rpms an short trips..
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Low rpm's are extremely rough. Once I get moving to about 6-7mph, it wakes up and purrs to 15mph. That's as fast as Ive gone then I let off. Im taking it real slow and easy. Its the 0-7mph range that it doesn't seem to be happy with. Does that have to do with the extra "break-in period" oil mixture Im running? Also, its very faint but its blowing smoke too. Not bad but you can see it for about 6 inches out of the tail pipe under acceleration. Is that to be expected with 50/1 mix?
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

U still running oil pump?? An 50/1 if so smokes ok.u got a tach gauge ?
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yes, still running oil pump and just adding oil to the gas tank to total 50/1 together.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Two stokes smoke some ;-) I ran my bbl with way more oil than that and it was perfectly fine. I would almost do 50:1 in the tank plus the pump but that's just me. And I had the intake and carb so I could tune for the extra oil, which I did do and ran my bbl a ton and hard with no problem. I'd still.be running my bbl on a spree if it hadn't eaten a reed stopper spring from the intake at almost 11k rpm. I would tune for 32:1 final gas to oil mix including the pump. And don't rush the break in. It takes time, if you rush it you'll regret it.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

50:1 + Pump = WAAAY too much oil. One or 1.25 oz/ gallon max! No wonder it smokes, you're running like 25:1.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

thx Wheelman. Ill change it and report back.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

25:1 wouldn't hurt for a short time for break in but wheelman is right 25:1 would so smoke like mad ;-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya, too much oil for the motor to burn will always go somewhere... especially when it's hot and thinned out w gas, and has higher pressure behind it. I get some oil leakage from my exhaust too, even w a new gasket. I think it might be a sign of an incomplete burn, like it's just not running effecient enough to keep that oil from hitting the outside of the combustion chamber. But oil always finds a way out. that's why I have to keep a rag under my bottles of olive oil in the kitchen, even tho I'm sure that glass doesn't leak!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Has anyone tried to add a thin copper washer in addition to the stock exhaust gasket? I installed a new OEM exhaust ring and Im still getting seepage from the connection. Its not a gusher but still an annoying drop or two on the crankcase after a short trip around the block. When I look at how it supposed to seal on the ring, I can tell that the protruding 1/4" (or so) of pipe from the exhaust flange is intended to slip inside the ring and the seal is created by the flange contacting the ring. However, when I crank down my exhaust nuts my exhaust flange is completely bottomed out on the head. I just cant tighten it anymore without broken studs or a broken flange. MY IDEA, add a thin copper washer BEHIND the exhaust ring to "shim" the ring further out for positive contact with the flange. Any thoughts?
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Trust me you don't want that! Have you seen the gaskets G9 sell on his website. Think they might a good option if they fit on your motor.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 7701 times
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »