Polini jet size for BBK & MLM

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Polini jet size for BBK & MLM

Post by eclark5483 »

Just like the title says. I'm planning on going with the 19mm Polini carb kit for my Spree, already have the 48mm BBK & MLM sidebleeder pipe. Should I go with the same jet size (90), that ships with the BBK, or a different size?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Polini jet size for BBK & MLM

Post by eclark5483 »

P.S. I also plan to run aftermarket gears once Taz gets them in stock.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

You should always have a bunch of different sizes on had to be safe. Every scoot acts different u won't know till u do your plug chops..
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Which is the kit i should be picking up along with the 19mm Polini carb? The one with a few jets.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

A temp gauge is a good plan. For tuning. Plug chops work but a cylinder temp gauge you can monitor while riding
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I'd do a temp gauge, but for aesthetic reasons, I don't want to have any extra stuff mounted on it. Wish someone made aftermarket gauge clusters that fits flush where the speed/gas/turn/etc gauges sit now with options like temp, tach, etc.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

At least a couple of threads show pictorially how some have replaced the stock cluster with an integrated Vapor setup. Full instrumentation, no extra junk. You have to craft your own instrument holder in fiberglass. It's a lot of work though, and the vapor can be mounted on the mirror base by moving the left grip a bracket thickness outboard.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Mirror mount wouldn't be so bad I suppose. Just don't want to drill any un-needed holes in the plastics. The original plastic on my scoot was worn out and almost all the tabs were cracked. Rather then dink around on eBay trying to find replacement plastics, I had the guys at SS Collision & Cycleworks do a restoration of them using some kind of new polymer they have out now. They did LOTS of extensive work on it to get that plastic looking pristine for painting, and get all those dings and scratches out. I spent $350 getting that done, and I'll be damned if I do something stupid like destroying all that hard work just to slap on a gauge. Hoping to have it 100% finished for the Boji Bike Rally (Formally known as the Polaris American Victory Rally). They changed the name after the company purchased Indian motorcycle, and Brammo motorcycles to encourage all kinds of motorcycles at the event, not just Victory's.. So yep, this Spree that I called a "POS" in my very first post on this board, is soon to be a show piece bike. :thumbwink:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Can't wait to see the masterpiece. I love that you went through the trouble to make it awesome.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

All in all, I have almost $2000 wrapped up into a $75, 30 year old scooter that I bought at a farm auction. For that same amount, I could have purchased 3 brand new Tao Tao ATM50-A1's. I'm anticipating spending probably around $500 more with the new Polini carb, work done to the chrome, powder coating kick stand, etc, etc.. I should hopefully have it in a condition to be shown later next week. Were going to hit our busy season at Polaris soon, as we start rolling out all the model year 2017' bikes. But, we will have a brief shutdown during the week of July 4th as we transition over, and have some upgrades to our paint department done. I'm hoping to have it ready for the world by then and will post pictures of what I've done with it so far.

EDIT: The restoration of the bike, is the reason I am NOT considering an engine swap. The BBK is something that can be undone if I ever wanted to take it back down to stock. The Iowa Spree is kind of rare compared to the typical Spree. It's my opinion that rare, classics like the Iowa Spree should be restored for show, not ripped apart and modified. Besides that... I'm an Iowan. I most certainly am in favor of doing the Iowa Spree justice.