Fuel mixture with BBK and OEM oil pump

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Fuel mixture with BBK and OEM oil pump

Post by Meatball »

85 Spree with a fresh 48mm BBK installed. I plan on keeping the stock oil pump on (for now) and just adding some oil to the fuel to compensate for the upgrade. Taking into account what the stock pumps delivers, what mixture should I have in the fuel tank? Also, during the "break-in" period after the bbk install, how much ADDITIONAL oil should I add?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Re: Fuel mixture with BBK and OEM oil pump

Post by Peteyparado »

I would just pull the pump an plug it an run 32/1 premix.. Don got to worry about oil pump ever failing.. Mayb u can ask taz Pm him for faster replie.
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

So if 32/1 is the proper mix for my set-up after "break-in", how much does the stock oil pump produce so I know how much additional I need to add?
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

Hard to say what the pump pumps?? Is your motor still smoking with your 50/1? If so go 70/1 or 80/1... Check SSS FOR A PLUG.. An no guessing just straight 32/1
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yeah, I have 50/1 in the tank now and it smokes. Its not terrible but it smokes more than it did before the bbk.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I say if the temps are right and it runs well, let it smoke. It doesn't smoke before the bbk because of the super small amount of oil being burned. The BBK needs a ton more oil than the stock setup so it may smoke some.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you insist on running the pump, add no more than 1% of oil to the Premium gasoline, or about 1.25 ounces per gallon. The smoke will improve, and it should be plenty of oil. But since you are pre-mixing anyway, it makes more sense to ditch the pump and run 32:1 (4 oz. Per gallon). The pump robs a tiny bit of what power you have...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I went looking for a plug for the oil pump hole and didn't see one. I guess I'd also need to plug off the outlet line to the carb. Can someone provide a link to where I can get those? Someone suggested SSS but I didn't see one on the website.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Just ordered one myself. I'm gonna run it with pump and premix for a while, then switch later on down the line if I run into issues. If not, I'll just save the plug for another engine.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

That plug doesn't fit the Spree. Does anyone know where I can get one that DOES fit a NQ50? Can you post a pic of what one looks like that's been done? Id like to "dump the pump".
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I beleive the spree doesn't have a custom plug available. People use rubber stoppers or take the factory pump apart so it no longer contacts the crank splines somehow... whether grinding the pump gears clean off or removing the shaft completely.

Some oil pumps are throttle controlled, and some members have simply removed the cable and tied the oil pump lever to full high all the time and reported decent results.

I've removed my pump and oiling system and have gone to full premixing, which is "safer" in popular opinion and allows you another Avenue of tuning, i.e. leaning out your air/fuel mixture w/o adding air. 32/1 is the popular ratio to use, but might be a little much in my opinion.

I say premix at:
25/1 for first (maybe second) tank for break in
32/1 for first few tanks after break in
After that, if all you got is a smaller bbk then 40/1 or 50/1 maybe fine, especially if your not pinning the throttle open for long periods of time.

If someone disagrees or finds my info incorrect, feel free to correct me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Spree seems to be making a "diesel" type sound when I let off the accelerator and Im slowing down. Doesn't sound healthy. Runs fine otherwise but it sounds deadly like the piston is rattling around in there. What could that be?
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Ughh thats not cool man, is it only on deceleration that it's noisy or is it at idle too?. Mine seems to be the same and I think I may have pushed it too hard too soon and damaged something... Still starts, runs and rides fine but makes quite a bit more noise than it used to :confused:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Don't throw in the towel just yet. Im thinking its a rear wheel bearing. New one arrives next week sometime and if I have time to install it, I'll come back with the results. Yes, only on deceleration.