Af16 help please

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Af16 help please

Post by Spruckus »

Hey guys I'm having trouble getting my spree to idle. I have swapped an af16 onto it. I have to have the idle screw on the way in( highest idle) and it still will wanna die once it gets warm. Also I have the a/f screw is pretty far out but it still looks like it's running rich. I can't run the stock elite air box so I just threw a piece of the filter foAm over the carb. So what do I need to get this engine runnin and idling perfect ??
Thank you
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Re: Af16 help please

Post by Peteyparado »

What jets u got in there??? Did u check for air leaks ?
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

Stock jets and as far as I've checked no air leaks. I was confused by the fact that even with the adjustments where there at it should be running lean not rich
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

If no leaks!! I would start from the beginning..turn a/f screw all the way in, then back it out 1 to 11/2 turns..then u from there..

Was the motor running before?
Try cleaning carb
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Any time your bike doesn't idle you check the pilot jet first. It is prob clogged. Then if it is not clogged you go from there.

Taz
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

Ok I'll pull the carb off and check the jets. I shouldn't need to upjet for just the air filter set up I have. I figured using a piece from the stock air box foam would be restrictive enough to be able to compensate for it with the a/f screW and also I've had the a/f screw out 1 3/4 and it'll take off fine and then start to cut out so I turned it out to maybe 2 1/4 and then it's pretty awesome. I haven't had a chance to run it flat out for a top speed run so I'm not sure how it's running way up top
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The foam is only part of the reason the carb induces negative pressure. The other part is the smallish inlet holes in the airbox. Air is drawn into the engine faster than it can enter the box, so the vacuum enhances the fuel draw at the jets. But if it runs that weird, pull the carb for another cleaning
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

I will pull the carb. But I bought the engine from a friend who pulled it off a running scoot. So aw you saying it should be able to run just fine with just a filter piece over the cArb vs the whole airbox
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

so I pulled the carb apart and nothing looks to be clogged or really dirty at all. my question is what is the stock jet size for an elite stock carb? mine had an 68 jet in it.
thank you.
motormike

Post by motormike »

LOOKING at a carburetor will not tell you if the pilot, main, or any other passage in the body is open and flowing air or fuel as it should. Only CONFIRMING FLOW with carb cleaner and compressed air will yield a decisive result.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

I should of been more specific I did shoot carb cleaner thru every port and passage.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:
'
The stock jet for an AF16 Elite is a 78. If you have a 68, either it was a restricted "P" model or some previous owner swapped in a Main that is much too small. Either way you're going to need at least a 78, and probably bigger if you're not able to mount the Elite airbox under your Spree plastics. I don't have a LOT of experience with stock carbs, but seem to recall an 88 or so if you mount a UNI or similar pod filter.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

That doesn't make sense to me at all. Cuz the idle screw all the way to me says its in the "most air" position( correct me if I'm wrong) so to me that says to much fuel and then the a/f screw being way out ( lean I believe) tells me the same thing.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The "Idle Screw" doesn't affect the air. It's just a cone that sets the throttle slide position, thus controlling the idle speed. The other screw "a/f" is leaner=out more. If you can, gauge your "68" to see if it's been drilled to a much larger size. If so, then everything makes sense.
Wheelman-111
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

maybe a silly question but will a 78 jet that was intended for my ruckus engine work. should right?