Picking The Right Pipe..help.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

mantrans
BMX
BMX

Picking The Right Pipe..help.

Post by mantrans »

Hi, I am having trouble figuring out the right pipe for my zx af18, I will give you the rundown and what type of riding I prefer Thanks in advance for all the help, my mind is ready to explode. I have done all the work myself including porting and matching and believe it to be good work.

Corsa bore " piston didnt look to good so I am boring the cylinder and putting my .020 over piston in"
Malossi MHR full circle crank
Port matched cases to the Corsa
PG longpipe ( opened up exhaust port 1mm and matched Pipe to exhaust port)
Stage 6 intake manifold reed block
24mm Polini evo carb
Opened the intake up a bit and also matched case to Intake and Intake to carb ( not major material removed just cleaned it up and helped fuel atomizing)
Needle on second to highest clip and MJ is 124
Malossi Variator ( 5.5g and 6g roller mix)
Polini 3 shoe race clutch ( blue clutch springs on tightest setting, engages around 8krpm) Red malossi center spring 2krpm with the "twist control spring seat"
Stock secondary gears bout the malossi 16x42 primaries but only the larger shaft fit so I used that, so gearing is rather obscure.
Naruku full power CDI
Plug is a NGK Br7 gapped at .027 and using the NCY direct coil over ignition.

My fastest gps speed was 70.86mph ( never happened again so maybe a fluke, then sat at 65 usually) maybe the piston scaring had something to do with it but compression was around 150 ( kick starter was broke the day I did the test so I used a drill on the flywheel maybe contributed to the higher number.
Take off and low speed acceleration was the worst , played with the rollers and it got much better but still not where I wanted it, did 18.24 @65 in the quarter mile rpm was at 9800 and 8.20 in the 1/8th at 53mph.

TYPE OF RIDING: Get it out twice a week and ride around for about an hour, stop and go and a lot of WOT runs.

QUESTION: I want much more acceleration while keeping speed no less than 65mph. I feel the PG longpipe is too peaky, Could I go with something like the Corsa race pipe or yasuni to make it more aggressive? would the mini Mag kit from scooter swap shop help? I want the very best all around pipe that favors more mid to low speed. Thank you! One last question, what about not running a base gasket on the corsa or another way to raise compression, not really looking at strokers but if I did what would be my best option? not looking at cutting the cases but I dont mind doing some clearancing . Thanks.
Wheelman-111

Re: Picking The Right Pipe..help.

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Uhh, so those secondaries are 9:1s, I believe. But you used only half of the set from Malossi?! By that you mean the clutch shaft - Gear #1 in the chain? That shouldn't work at all, or at least not for long. Pull the drain plug and tip the engine over, praying you don't see a Sparkle Shower in the gear oil, which I suspect you will. Gears normally MUST be replaced as a set, and if you multiply taller secondaries with tall primaries, you end up with Extremely Tall final drive gearing. It's not obscure if you index the clutch shaft with a spot of paint. Carefully spin the rear wheel exactly one full revolution and count the number of times your paint spot goes around.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mantrans
BMX
BMX

Post by mantrans »

Then I have my facts wrong because I have been running these for 2 years and just recently had it apart and everything looked brand new.
mantrans
BMX
BMX

Post by mantrans »

Thanks Graphite9! I buy everything from scooter swap shop and I would like to get a pipe but now I am having issues finding someone to bore my cylinder so I may just purchase another corsa and use the old one to do another motor. The Corsa Race pipe is the one I am wanting.