Spree bbk issues.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: Spree bbk issues.

Post by jakubman1 »

Piston is trashed along with jug.
Deep vertical lines on exhaust side of piston and jug.
Gonna rebuild and baby it for 100 miles like I am suppose to.
I should have listened lol
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

How.many bearings are there in the transmission ? I may as well replace them while I'm here.
Thanks
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I make sure to look from time to time at the threads. Considering how many kits I sell every year there are not very many problems with the 48mm BBK. If that was the case my feedback would suck. Thats why I sell it with directions so people can avoid mistakes.

Meatball ran the bike at wot for 2 miles during the break in period and hit 385 and he seized the bike up pretty good. That is one of the reasons for failure. I am sorry this happened but those are the facts. We where all new to this at one time and made our fair share of mistakes to.

As to G9 selling the 48mm spree kits. That was more a link. G9 never actually stocked that item personally. Once I found out I stopped it. I own the molds for that cylinder and piston. When G9 had them on his site they where sold with no directions. Can you imagine no directions. People just bolted them on with no additional oil or jetting and wotted them right out of the box. No boost port cutting the gasket either. So its funny how that is left out of the equation.

Taz
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Sorry for the mix-up, TAZ. I didn't run anything at WOT or 385 degrees. That was jakubman1. Ive been running mine at half throttle and seized. Im about 30mi into the break-in process with low to half throttle taking short 5min trips around the block followed by a full cool down. It has never seen anything over 15mph since the bbk install. Im using an OEM gasket with the boost port like it should be and 30:1 mix as recommended. This is the 2nd bbk Ive bought from you since the first one seized multiple times because I used the gasket provided in your kit. The 2nd kit didn't even come with a lower gasket at all so I had to buy one. The first one is MY MISTAKE for not noticing the crucial modification required to make your kit operate.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I haven't even driven mine with the BBK yet. In fact I have barely rev'd it up either. All I have done is started it. Just bought a temp/tach gauge 2 days ago that I am going to install first. I'm not gonna drive it till I have Taz's gears installed, I'm thinking 15 or 20 miles a hour tops on the way home with it. Have it at the shop right now which is about a mile out of town. Probably a 3 mile trip total, but that first mile is gonna be on the hiway south of Spencer, so I'm gonna have to drive it on the shoulder so I don't peeve off people behind me too much. Might just see if I have a friend with a truck that will take me down to pick it up. I'm gonna baby the break in period big time.

I agree with Taz, that a majority of the problem and complaints come from people who either didn't follow the directions, or got way too impatient with the break in.. But I get it.. You install a BBK, you're just ITCHING to see what that puppy can do... I know I am. I won't even run a dyno test till after it's broken in. I'm semi-OCD as well. I check, recheck, read, reread, search, observe, ask, check some more, ask someone else...and THEN I turn the wrench, then repeat the process before doing the next step. If it wasn't for that, plus the time spent at 2 jobs... I would have been done with my Spree a long time ago.

So I guess my best advice, is don't get frustrated, get educated and practice patience. It will REALLY pay off when the time comes that you'll be able to rip around knowing fully well that the engine underneath is SOLID.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

lol meatball. Sorry for the confusion. I do a lot of trouble shooting and get mixed up who is who. What is your eBay user name?

Taz
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Post after post keeps implying I did something wrong. Would someone like to enlighten me as to what that is? I wasn't "itching" or going WOT or anything like that. Don't get what jakubman1 did to his mixed up with my situation. I babied it, day after day, hour after hour, short trip after short trip. All with mid-to-low RPM's. It started with a ticking noise coming from the stator/fan area that was barely audible unless I get my face down there close to listen. Few short runs later...seize....Im 30 miles in after install. This isn't a case of not following directions. Ebay user name: discountwire
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

So I went to my mechanic showed and told.him what happen. He said that 3 heat cycles will be enough for.a.2 stroke... he said that I am running.to LEAN and that's what my problem is. He said putting 3 holes is too much. I'm gonna plug 2 of the three holes on the air box with my.new build.and see what happens. Or he.said.I need an even larger main jet. I got no complaints from this kit.

I fudged it up going WOT for two miles. But man it was sreamin...probably.lean.
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

eclark5483 wrote:Just bought a temp/tach gauge 2 days ago that I am going to install first.
What gauge did you end up getting and where from?
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

With my current set-up, (stock Spree with Taz bbk) can anyone tell me what notch the needle clip should be on the jet needle in the throttle valve? Mine is an 85' so I have 5 notches. The 86-87' had only 3. I looked at mine and its currently at notch #2 which the service manual says is "lean" Ive never messed with it before now but Im just throwing darts at a dartboard now trying to figure this out.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I would like to know as well where my needle.should be set at.....

I just finished my install . The rattling sound I think was from the burnt piston and jug. I don't hear it anymore. I covered 2 of the 3. 1inch holes on air box lid. Cranked.first push button of start. I let it idle.for 15 minutes just to adjust the idle speed. Good so far.

Since replacing.my tires with 2.75-10 kenda I've noticed a slight.rubbing.on the.rear.fender . Muffle side. Is there a cure? I just need a very very slight spread of.fender. thanks Maybe washers ?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Switching needle to notch 4 produces killer smoke clouds!..lol
Last edited by Meatball on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Grinded my kick stand. No more rubbing ;)
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Meatball wrote:With my current set-up, (stock Spree with Taz bbk) can anyone tell me what notch the needle clip should be on the jet needle in the throttle valve? Mine is an 85' so I have 5 notches. The 86-87' had only 3. I looked at mine and its currently at notch #2 which the service manual says is "lean" Ive never messed with it before now but Im just throwing darts at a dartboard now trying to figure this out.
I've actually just looked at this tonight. The needle on mine has 3 positions and was in the centre so i've moved it to the lowest notch(needle in highest position = richer).

I also have 2 20mm punched holes in my airbox lid and done a couple of runs tonight. 1 with one hole covered and the 2nd with both holes open.

Scoot preformed ever so slightly worse with one of the holes covered so I figure 2 20mm holes are good. Also my way of thinking is by having the needle in the highest position will allow more oil/fuel mix to mix with the air... Basically running as rich as I can possibly make it without blowing loads of smoke and running like a pig
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

U know that to much oil can cause the motor to run lean..
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph