Speedometer builds

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Speedometer builds

Post by vintagegarage »

With all of the engine builds discussed on this forum, I haven't been able to find much info here about speedometer builds. The bone stock Elite SRs I have all peg their speedometers on level ground, and the ones with built engines as described on the forum seem to be approaching 50 mph fairly regularly. The 1984 Aero 50 I have came stock with a 50 mph speedometer and I don't come close to pegging it, but it seems to me that part of building a AF16 engine to run 50 MPH would be to also build a mechanical speedometer that looks original and tops out around 60 mph. There is an old post from October 27, 2010 from wheelman near the end of this topic that looks pretty interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16930&hilit=cluster+blue

All of the Honda scooter mph speedometers I have seen (Spree, Gyro, Aero, Elite E, Elite ES, Elite SR, and even Express SR), all have kph markings directly below the mph markings, and all go up to 60 kph. The Aero 50 actually goes up to 80 kph. As I get ready to build up a 50 mph AF16 engine, and assuming I don't care if the odometer is correct, it would be great to insert a converter between the speedometer cable and the gauge cluster, so that when I go 50 mph, the needle on the speedometer is at the 50 kph (31 mph) mark.

I see this gadget on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MECHANICAL-KPH- ... 0905410156

Any chance that this will do what I want? Are the threads correct; is there room for it to fit between the cluster and the cable end on an Elite S without fouling in the steering; and if it fits, will it cause the speedometer to read 25 mph (40 kph) when I am actually going 40 mph? If I do manage to get to 60 mph, I'd like the speedometer to read about 37 mph, i.e with the needle aligned to the 60 kph mark.

Please don't let this topic get off topic with a discussion of electronic or GPS speedometers, or suggestions that I use an electronic speedometer or GPS. I simply want to use the original gauge cluster, and have it read reasonably accurately for speeds around 50 mph.

If the gadget on ebay isn't what I want, is there any chance that G9 or Taz would be interested in sourcing what I need and then adding it to their product lines?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Speedometer builds

Post by eclark5483 »

I plan on taking a different approach. I'm ordering a cheap used gauge cluster for my spree off of eBay just so I can examine it, figure out the best way to tear it apart, then I plan on doing a new overlay for the speed and gas, turn, etc.. I'll use GPS as a guide to create pickpoints, then I'll plot out a whole new instrument panel from there. Once I have that done, I'll transfer the new cluster print onto vinyl and make my own custom setup. Time consuming, yes, but at least it will be a creation of my own and I can choose colors to match my yellow and black paint scheme.
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

For elite SR can use the Kymco zx 50 speedo http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYMCO-ZX50-ZX-5 ... zw&vxp=mtr which from what others have said is plug and play and goes to 60. Theres also some posts ive seen about a converter like you posted that would let you use the kph up to 90 as mph.
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Once again this forum comes through for me.. FunkeyMonkey, I did not know about the Kymco ZX50 cluster... I'll give it a try and report back when it comes in.. Thanks and much appreciated..