What are some ways to increase power on a spree???

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

tylerw5089
Noob
Noob

What are some ways to increase power on a spree???

Post by tylerw5089 »

I just got a spree on saturday, I was wondering what a person can do to make it run better as in faster. I want to know if this is possible without doing a bore kit. Any an all suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Tyler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You cant do a bore kit, drill 2 baffles from your exhaust and grind out the intake tube for better flow. Have a machinist take .020" from the head. You can also run a shorter or wider belt for a higher gear ratio (the belt will ride higher on the fixed front pulley and lower on the rear spring loaded pulley). A ring width taken from the top of the exhaust port will help too.

Even after all this it will only do 35-40 and if you play with belts and pulleys the takeoff will be slower(sprees are slow enough off the line as it is, I would leave the trans alone personally).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

second post deleted, and I'd say exactly what Kenny did and also add file and port intake manifold. Spree's are very limited with the stock engine trans powerwise, but these little things may net you some small gains.

But if you can afford it, dio swap! But would take lots of money and skills to do right.. I'd estimate $500+ just for the swap, then pick the performance parts you want. No more details about that here, search around here if this is an interesting idea to you.
projects galore :nerd:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

burnt_toast wrote:second post deleted, and I'd say exactly what Kenny did and also add file and port intake manifold. Spree's are very limited with the stock engine trans powerwise, but these little things may net you some small gains.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:You cant do a bore kit, drill 2 baffles from your exhaust and grind out the intake tube for better flow. Have a machinist take .020" from the head. You can also run a shorter or wider belt for a higher gear ratio (the belt will ride higher on the fixed front pulley and lower on the rear spring loaded pulley). A ring width taken from the top of the exhaust port will help too.

Even after all this it will only do 35-40 and if you play with belts and pulleys the takeoff will be slower(sprees are slow enough off the line as it is, I would leave the trans alone personally).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

lol

way to fail burnt_toast. :lol:
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:lol

way to fail burnt_toast. :lol:
way to fail? way to skim so stfu :P
tylerw5089
Noob
Noob

Post by tylerw5089 »

Are there any websites that have information on how the clutch comes apart and what to play with in there?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

this one, search around
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

tylerw5089 wrote:Are there any websites that have information on how the clutch comes apart and what to play with in there?
Nothing in a spree clutch to play with.
gregr16
Noob
Noob

Post by gregr16 »

hi there, i can reach up to 60 kmph on my 50cc aero (lead). i first bought a performance air filter, you will definetly want to get rid of that airbox as it can improve airflow around the scooter, another thing is get a good quality performance spark plug EG,NGK or CHAMPION are probably the best ones, reccomended for this perticular model, these 2 items for me have improved the scooters performance flawlessley. they dont cost much about 4.50 euro you would expect to pay for the plug and about 6.00 euro for the air filter. allso make sure your carb settings are correct once added these items. and all in all you will be around 6 or 7 km faster. this is probably the safest way to get good performance out of your scooter without destroying it.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

gregr16 wrote:hi there, i can reach up to 60 kmph on my 50cc aero (lead). i first bought a performance air filter, you will definetly want to get rid of that airbox as it can improve airflow around the scooter, another thing is get a good quality performance spark plug EG,NGK or CHAMPION are probably the best ones, reccomended for this perticular model, these 2 items for me have improved the scooters performance flawlessley. they dont cost much about 4.50 euro you would expect to pay for the plug and about 6.00 euro for the air filter. allso make sure your carb settings are correct once added these items. and all in all you will be around 6 or 7 km faster. this is probably the safest way to get good performance out of your scooter without destroying it.
On other scooters you may be right, but on a spree the stock airbox and filter is the only way to go.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

gregr16 wrote:hi there, i can reach up to 60 kmph on my 50cc aero (lead). i first bought a performance air filter, you will definetly want to get rid of that airbox as it can improve airflow around the scooter, another thing is get a good quality performance spark plug EG,NGK or CHAMPION are probably the best ones, reccomended for this perticular model, these 2 items for me have improved the scooters performance flawlessley. they dont cost much about 4.50 euro you would expect to pay for the plug and about 6.00 euro for the air filter. allso make sure your carb settings are correct once added these items. and all in all you will be around 6 or 7 km faster. this is probably the safest way to get good performance out of your scooter without destroying it.
Im afraid that you are wrong, the spree is very picky and aftermarket air filters dont do anything.
gregr16
Noob
Noob

Post by gregr16 »

hi, could you post me a picture of a spree 50ccs engine through, i would very much like to see what the setup is like. :?

kind regards

greg
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewto ... sc&start=0 this thread has several good engine shots of a pre 86 style motor (86 and up has kick start).
gregr16
Noob
Noob

Post by gregr16 »

if you take in page 3 picture 5 or 6 the carburettor air intake that is exposed on the picture i have added the air filter on my scooter, it looks pretty much like the same engine setup looking at the pics, but without the choke on the carb. i still think its good to put a good performance air filter on instead of the old fasioned box for better air flow even though it may not add power. thanks again for these pictures.

greg