questions about dio motor

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

questions about dio motor

Post by PimpinSpree »

So im starting to think i want to drop the money to swap a dio into my spree. I've been doing the research, but i can't find too many threads with good info in them. So i thought i would post some of my questions.

first off. Everyone says all you need is to worry about mounting it up and changing the kickstand. But im assuming i need the exhaust and carb off the dio? after i get it going, with a stock motor. Im wondering how fast will it be. I read the top speed will still be around 35, but will it blow a stock spree away as far as acceleration? What all mods can you get big gains out of. Im not looking to dump money into this project just for the sake of spending money. I only want mods that will get big gains. That said, is all i need a big bore kit and gears? I read in the "adding gears sticky thread" that you need to do a 70cc big bore kit before you can do gears or you won't have the power to make a difference, but does 20cc really make that big of a difference? Whats the acceleration like on a dio that does 70mph? Do i have a choice in gears, because i think 70mph is a little excessive for a spree.

well i hope someone can answer my questions. thanks
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

you can just deristrict a stock dio and that would make a spree go 45 mph a big bore and gears 80 mph and a big bore and gears has crazy accelration and top end. i wouldnt go that fast on a spree
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

but is that all thats needed to go 80mph??? What other typical mods do people do? How do you even keep track of your speed at those speeds?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

80mph is kinda far.
you would need like a 90cc stroker to hit 80.

70mph is more possible.
70mph is like, corsa 72cc bore kit, 28mm carb, pglong tail pipe, gears, other tuning things.
like $600-700.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

like i said, im not looking to make it go as fast as i can. If i could get it to go 55 i would be stoked. What would the acceleration be like? My buddy has a 50cc sym thats stcok, and that thing is pretty quick. blows my buddys ruckus out of the water. Would it be that fast?
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

ya but sprees are smaller that elites and it depends on the gear ratio
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Just buy an elite-s its cheaper to build it up rather than do an engine swap.
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I have to agree with still speeding on this, the * front end on a spree isnt all that safe at 40+mph, 30 is scary enough on that tiny bike and a bumpy road.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i don't want to get rid of my spree. It was my grandfathers and i want to keep it. I also am not trying to get my spree to go that fast. I would be happy if i could get the thing to do 45-50. Im just wondering about all the questions i posted, that everyone seems to be avoiding and just keeps talking about top speed, which isn't even what im concerned about. Im wondering about
1. acceleration on a stock dio motor
2. acceleration on a bored re-geared dio motor
3. are their different gears available since i don't want a 70mph spree?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dont get rid of the spree, find a sub $100 trashed dio based scoot and build that into a millennium falcon type thing (fast trash).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GN Racer
Goped
Goped

Post by GN Racer »

The only drawback to doing the swap in my opinion, is that the suspension on the Spree feels unsafe compared to a larger bike like an Elite S/SR.

The rear brake cable is off of an Elite S, since it is longer. An '87 Elite engine mount was used to mount the engine. The shock mount was also relocated, in order to keep the correct geometry.

Here's my Spree with a '94 Elite S engine. I had it sitting for the past 10 years or so, and just started to ride again. Keeping up with cars in the city is effortless. I have no idea what the top speed is... :D