Just Got A Spree, Help Me Go Over 30MPH

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

Post by SPREEtown »

im still running the stock(65) jet, will i see a performance increase by upjetting. mods listed below.
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
    taz gears, sa50 clutch w/ 2k springs
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

SPREEtown wrote:im still running the stock(65) jet, will i see a performance increase by upjetting. mods listed below.
Do a plug chop, if its running coco you have the correct jet.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Entirely possible that a fatter jet would help. You should be able to get a 68 from the dealer without problem. The Spree I looked up had 63 65 and 68 listed. If you haven't siezed yet you're not much lean. Check your carb needle. Move the clip down to richen it some and see if it helps.

Mine is a Pal with a different air box but I did modify it. If the Spree is the same if you start opening it up to improve the flow you will have to up jet a lot. When I started on mine I cut a bunch of baffles out of the air box. Siezing wasn't a problem. It was so lean it would barely run. Much leaner than with the air box entirely removed, very strange. I stuck all the bits back in and started pulling them out one at a time and rejeting each step. I ended up with an 80. If you're going to mod the air box take it slow and gather up a good collection of jets. Rather than say don't do it, I would warn that this is the mod most likely to melt your engine down if not done right.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
GN Racer
Goped
Goped

Post by GN Racer »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:That`s how most people do it, but porting out the manifold will get better take off and a 1/2 belt will do the same thing as a bigger tire. Drilling 2 baffels from the pipe helps and air box mods on a spree dont work today
Does 1/2 belt mean 1/2" wide belt? What's the original application?

Good info on the belt. I guess the original poster could do both the tire and the belt for an even lower gear.

Also why wouldn't an air box mod work on a Spree today? Used to make a noticeable difference back in the day. Just curious.
Geoff

'85 Aero 50 w/Dio 66cc
'87 Elite 50 w/Dio 72cc
'87 Spree -SOLD!
Puch Magnum
Yamaha Razz POS -Soon to be Dio powered!
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Popped the intake off the Pal. Turns out it does have the larger SB50 style manifold and reeds.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

GN Racer wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:That`s how most people do it, but porting out the manifold will get better take off and a 1/2 belt will do the same thing as a bigger tire. Drilling 2 baffels from the pipe helps and air box mods on a spree dont work today
Does 1/2 belt mean 1/2" wide belt? What's the original application? Auto accessory belt for running alternators, ac water pump, etc.

Good info on the belt. I guess the original poster could do both the tire and the belt for an even lower gear.

Also why wouldn't an air box mod work on a Spree today? Used to make a noticeable difference back in the day. Just curious.
99.9% of airbox mods/aftermarket filters on a spree are boggers that dont work no matter the jetting.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

GN Racer wrote:Also why wouldn't an air box mod work on a Spree today? Used to make a noticeable difference back in the day. Just curious.
Guys have had a hard time getting modified airboxes / pod filters to work with the stock scoots.

So you were porting the carb... any guidelines on how much material to remove from the throat?

How did you get the 3.0 tire to clear? It looks to me like anything larger than a 2.75 would have clearance problems to the engine case.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

SPREEtown wrote:im still running the stock(65) jet, will i see a performance increase by upjetting. mods listed below.
Next step for you is an SB50 manifold and reeds.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

Post by SPREEtown »

a la http://hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2957 ?

on an unrelated mod: would a stiffer center clutch spring be in order? what exactly does this do?
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
GN Racer
Goped
Goped

Post by GN Racer »

noiseguy wrote:
GN Racer wrote:Also why wouldn't an air box mod work on a Spree today? Used to make a noticeable difference back in the day. Just curious.
Guys have had a hard time getting modified airboxes / pod filters to work with the stock scoots.

So you were porting the carb... any guidelines on how much material to remove from the throat?

How did you get the 3.0 tire to clear? It looks to me like anything larger than a 2.75 would have clearance problems to the engine case.
If the rim was straight, then it cleared the case, but not by much... IRC brand I think..

But now you have me questioning myself.... Was it a 2.75 or a 3.0? I don't want to give out bad info, so I'll just say that I'm 90% sure that it was a 3.0.... :P

I do remember that because of the taller tire height, the kickstand would barely keep the rear tire off of the ground. I think a friend of mine bent his in order for it to work. :P

Some guys here ran a 80's PGO back rim (wider) in order to run a 3.5 tire on an '87 Elite engine.

If the bike is stock with no porting, etc. then of course; It WILL bog with a modded airbox or a Uni/K&N type filter.

As far as porting the carb goes, (after completely disassembling) I believe that I used a carbide bit, and a fine rat tail file to open it up a bit. More top-bottom than side to side. Not too much though, otherwise the slide won't be able to meter the air flow. I still may have one somewhere. If I find one, I'll post a pic. As far as jetting was concerned it was totally hit or miss! After only a year or so of "experimental jetting". The scooter shops here started selling these:

Tuning then became much simpler!

Geoff
Geoff

'85 Aero 50 w/Dio 66cc
'87 Elite 50 w/Dio 72cc
'87 Spree -SOLD!
Puch Magnum
Yamaha Razz POS -Soon to be Dio powered!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

SPREEtown wrote:a la http://hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2957 ?

on an unrelated mod: would a stiffer center clutch spring be in order? what exactly does this do?
Yep, that's the part.

Center spring won't do anything on a Spree; it impacts the way a variator works, and Spree don't have variators.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

SPREEtown
Spree
Spree

Post by SPREEtown »

thanks. did you do this to your bike? if so, what was your performance increase, and was it just a bolt and go procedure?
1986 Spree SE:
  • pulley mod
    '85 head
    SB50 intake, reeds, carb
    UNI filter
    44mm bbk
    3x10 conti zipps
    next:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

SPREEtown wrote:thanks. did you do this to your bike? if so, what was your performance increase, and was it just a bolt and go procedure?
There's an article in adv. tech docs that talks about this. Reported bump of about 5 MPH on otherwise stock scooter. You need to modify the intake, petcock, or use an Elite carb to get the setup to work. I've not tried it yet, reported from another user.
Admin, Hondaspree.net