finally located a motor to swap in

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

finally located a motor to swap in

Post by PimpinSpree »

First let me be clear, im not looking to build something thats gonna go any crazy speeds or do wheelies or anything, just a normal around town bike thats a little faster than my spree.

so I located an se50 that im going to swap into my spree. So i have a couple questions. What performance parts do i want? and can you give any explanations on the transmission? Since my spree motor doesn't have any transmission. Im confused on what the difference is between a variator, high speed pulley, and springs, rollers, weights. What all do i need, and what is just buying it to add to a parts list?

is this an ok big bore kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLINI-B ... enameZWDVW

and then i know i need a high speed pulley, but what else do i need for the transmission?
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

yea that would work fine
i would up jet and drill the muffler too, and get a pulley kit and you will be good to go
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Thats a very expensive kit that you will not be able to take full advantage of until chevy tells us swapping a dio trans works. and the Corsa s the best kit, contessa is slower.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

the big bore kit i posted the link for?

you have links for other big bore kits? I thought they stopped making them, so i was gonna have to fork out some money if i really wanted one. I know i deffinitly want to port it, but what else do i need?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

yeah, those other guys are crazy, that bore kit is the best you can get for the SE50 motors.

just make sure you upjet or you will blow that bore real fast.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

ya i know i need to rejet, i thought thats obvious. where would a good place to start? like 90?

and can someone exlain the trannys on these things?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

yeah, i would even think like 95. just to be on the safe side.

What do you need explaining?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o7MaM6tk9M
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

a stock front pulley is like 1-4 gear. a high speed pulley is bigger, its like adding a 5th gear.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

so a highspeed pulley is the same as the variator???

what are the rollers and weights i always hear about?

that video didn't explain too much, because i already understand the concepts, i just don't know what each piece is, when you get further in depth
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4513
this might not help, but this kinda shows you everything broke down.

front pulley=variator.
highspeed pulley kit= bigger variator.

the rollers are the little wheel things inside it. when the motor hits high RPMs the rollers pull out. pushing the variator forword. Forcing the belt to ride up higher. (higher gear)

the rollers come in different weights. Everything from 3grams to 14grams. just about ever set up has a different roller setup that works the best. Most common is like 7.5grams (three 7s and three 8s). 9grams is also common.

see, there is 3 main things here working. The variator itself, the rollers, and the back plate.
The back plate stays in one spot all the time. the rollers go in between the back plate and the variator. then the variator, then the belt, then the other thing that i cant seem to remember the name of.

the faster the motor spins the more the rollers pull outwords. Since the back plate is not going to move the rollers forces the variator twords the belt. Now a 'highspeed pulley kit' variator is bigger, meaning the belt can go up even higher. Making it a higher gear yet. (best top end)
1991--------Tomos Targa-
GN Racer
Goped
Goped

Post by GN Racer »

PimpinSpree wrote:so a highspeed pulley is the same as the variator???
Yes.
PimpinSpree wrote:what are the rollers and weights i always hear about?
Rollers and weights are different names for the same thing. They go inside of the pulley, and are held in by a ramp.

Pimpin- Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have someone that can help you with the swap? I'm asking because it is not a direct bolt in deal.

In my opinion, now that you've found the engine, concentrate on the swap first.

Once you've learned all (or most) of the inner workings of your new engine, then you can decide which route you want to go as far as aftermarket parts are concerned...
Geoff

'85 Aero 50 w/Dio 66cc
'87 Elite 50 w/Dio 72cc
'87 Spree -SOLD!
Puch Magnum
Yamaha Razz POS -Soon to be Dio powered!
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

GN Racer wrote:
PimpinSpree wrote: Pimpin- Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have someone that can help you with the swap? I'm asking because it is not a direct bolt in deal.

In my opinion, now that you've found the engine, concentrate on the swap first.

Once you've learned all (or most) of the inner workings of your new engine, then you can decide which route you want to go as far as aftermarket parts are concerned...

yea i'll probably have a few people with me, just to shoot ideas off of, but don't let these cvt questions fool you. I understand whats involved in the swap, and im not really worried about that part of it, im very mechanicly inclined. I now have a pretty good idea of how the cvt works, and what each piece is. It was just throwing me off because theres a couple names for different parts, and so i thought there were more parts than there are. And yes, i intend to get the motor swap done, and after its all running fine start ordering performance parts

on that note, where do i get a kickstand to weld on?
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

also, i emailed that guy on ebay, and he says i should get his clutch springs. Do these make a difference, or is he just trying to sell me crap?
GN Racer
Goped
Goped

Post by GN Racer »

If you want to buy parts, start off with a high speed pulley and an assortment of weights, a new belt, plugs, & filter.

See how the bike rides after tuning up what you have. Then make an assessment of where you want to go with your project, and buy your parts accordingly...

Also, invest in an electric impact gun; I bought mine from Sears a long time ago after I wasted the drive face splines on my Aero crank. It has more than paid for itself over the years.
Geoff

'85 Aero 50 w/Dio 66cc
'87 Elite 50 w/Dio 72cc
'87 Spree -SOLD!
Puch Magnum
Yamaha Razz POS -Soon to be Dio powered!
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

thats what i intend to do. Like i said, i'll get it going first, then start buying parts. and i already have an impact driver.

so.... where do i buy a good quality kickstand?