Top Speed 27mph

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jroyse
Noob
Noob

Top Speed 27mph

Post by jroyse »

i have an 1987 Elite 50, no mods. I can only get it up to 27mph. Down hill 29mph.

Did the factory put some kind of speed restriction on it?
gobucks
Spree
Spree

Post by gobucks »

check inside the head pipe of the exhaust, there should be a metal washer in there reducing the size of the pipe for a while, grind that out with a dremel, and if you take off the side cover on the bike and pull off the front vartiator/ crankshaft pulley there should be a plate on the back of the pulley which is held on by three bolts take the plate off and throw it away.

http://www.scootertherapy.com/Eliteclutchpage.html
jroyse
Noob
Noob

Post by jroyse »

I pulled that plate off, drove and no difference. Didnt mess with exhaust yet.
gobucks
Spree
Spree

Post by gobucks »

the whole point of pulling the plate off is that it will allow the two pulley halves to come closer together allowing the belt to ride up higher making the gear ratio to be better for high speeds.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

next time own some real speed :cry:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

jroyse wrote:I pulled that plate off, drove and no difference. Didnt mess with exhaust yet.
Is the belt wore? If the belts wore that will slow you down.
Base4life
Spree
Spree

Post by Base4life »

you cant really do mods to an 87 elite. If you want to do good mods get a 94-01 elite.
01 Elite
in progress!

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Base4life wrote:you cant really do mods to an 87 elite. If you want to do good mods get a 94-01 elite.
You can but parts are rare, pipes can be made, it accepts DIO gears with some supporting parts from the DIO, bore kits are still findable, rollers and variator(im pretty sure) are dio.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.