Spree or Elite easier to mod?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

steffen707
Elite
Elite

Spree or Elite easier to mod?

Post by steffen707 »

Okay so I love my spree, handles great, only goes 28mph. I want something with more topend, don't mind modifying the spree and I saw the lists of mods to de-restrict it.

Is it easier to get more speed from an elite than a spree? Also, i read something that the spree transmission isn't as good as the elite? Something about it acting like its stuck in 2nd gear, instead of the 3 gear elite? I know there are no gears and both are cvt but can somebody explain this?

Thanks guys.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

First off remember that there are like twenty different 'elite's or something, a lot anyways, some do really good and some like the SB are no better off than your spree, modability wise; but pretty much all of them start with 35mph capability. If you want a racer I hear the Jog is the way to go but many people here have elites that can do 50 or more, sprees not so much
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

The Spree has a fixed front pulley rather than the variator (cvt) on most(?) of the Elites. The Spree was built from the ground up to go 25-30 mph. The Spree can be modified to go faster but parts to do it aren't readily available so you're in do-it-yourself territory. The proper model Elite is easier to make go faster.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

keithw wrote:The Spree has a fixed front pulley rather than the variator (cvt) on most(?) of the Elites.
Yes, the SB branch (Elite E, ES) is without CVT. Beyond that the SA as I hear it is all good and fine, the SE is getting rather hard to find even OEM parts for, I think I heard of an SQ but know nothing about it. Somebody should write a buyers guide for picking models and years
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

94-01 honda elites.

sprees- no performance parts avaible

87+ SB50 elites- also useless. same motor as a spree.

88-93 SA50s (and SE50) Motors- parts are getting hard to find, takes some real cash to build up a bike, and even then it isnt that fast.

94-01 elites SA50s- This is the motor to look for. These motors are awesome.
Every part in the motor can be taken off and replaced with a performance ones.
everything, crank to piston to gear to tailpipe to carbs to intakes to reeds and everything in between.
Speed comes cheap.
$105 will make your motor go 50mph.
$500 will make your motor go just under 70mph.
you can boost it from 49cc to 72cc. Or if you wanna get crazy you can get go up to 124cc (stocker crank. AND water cooled!)
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Thank god I posted on here before buying an Elite. I was gunna pick up a 87 elite for cheap, but now I know the 94 and up is what to get. Did they change over to a 4 stroke in 92?

My buddy bought a Kymco Agility 50, which is nice, but feels way too big compared to my spree also seems like my spree accelerates faster to 30mph than the kymco does, but then the kymco falls on its face.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Are there different elite models from 94-01?

Oh, and what about the elite 80cc and 150cc models?
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

So where is this "cheap" 87 Elite? I might want it, i'm happy with my 45 mph.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

jonsteffen wrote:Are there different elite models from 94-01?
yes but they all use the same motor
Oh, and what about the elite 80cc and 150cc models?They are 4 stroke and have no upgrades.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

jonsteffen wrote:Thank god I posted on here before buying an Elite. I was gunna pick up a 87 elite for cheap, but now I know the 94 and up is what to get. Did they change over to a 4 stroke in 92?

My buddy bought a Kymco Agility 50, which is nice, but feels way too big compared to my spree also seems like my spree accelerates faster to 30mph than the kymco does, but then the kymco falls on its face.
yeah, in 02 honda stopped with 2 strokes and went all 4 stroke.
There is no really good motor mods for the 4 strokes, thats why we all mod the old hondas. the new ones just arent right for speed.
jonsteffen wrote:Are there different elite models from 94-01?

Oh, and what about the elite 80cc and 150cc models?
94-01 hondas 50s...
there are a few slight changes. But they all have the good motor in them.
like, there are elite S and elite Sr. difference being the elite S has a better stock pipe, but it is restricted . The elite Sr has a ok pipe, and comes unrestricted. It also has a split cable for the oiler control.
You can unrestricted the elite S by taking a part out of the front pulley, and drilling a washer out of the tail pipe. then ziptie open the oiler. Then you have basically have a Sr with a better tail pipe.

but besides the few restrictions in some of them, they all are the same motor. There all great tuning platforms

As for the elite 80s and up. whatever they do stock is what they are stuck at. no mods, no tuning. nothing at all.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Dac wrote:It also has a split cable for the oiler control.
Yeah what's up with this? I was reading up last when I couldn't sleep and I guess I don't know what the point of 2 cables on the oil injector? would be for. Does that just regulate how much oil is sucked into the cylinder? and by "zip tying" it open would make it always get the same oil flow?

Where can I read up on this if its a bother to explain.

Was there an elite, elite s and elite sr model, or just elite s and elite sr?

They all have the same motor, what about transmission?

Thanks for all your help guys, you are all MUCH nicer than the typical honda-tech member. Can never get straighforward answers without getting flamed to death on there.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

The elite Sr has a split cable.
What it does is when you give it more throttle it opens the oiler more, giving the motor more oil. The Sr is the deresticked one, so they put it on that one.
The elite S (only does 25mph stock since the restrictions) does not have they, honda assumed people would not know how to take off the restictions, so they left nothing going to the oiler, so the oiler only gives a little oil to the motor at all times.

Thats why people that have the elite S should zip tie it open. Meaning you put a ziptie around where the cable would be, then to where the bolt for the motor cooling system goes. (it holds it all the way over).
So now the motor gets all the oil it needs at high speed. It does get a little extra when idling, but that really dont affect anything.
They all have the same motor, what about transmission?
The only difference is a small plate behind the front pulley. A washer in the top of the exhaust. and the non split cable. (all on the elite S)

(the plate can be taken out to make it the same as the elite SR)(the washer can be drilled out to make it the same as the elite SR) (the oiler can be wired tied to be the same as the elite SR)

Everything else is the same.
Thanks for all your help guys, you are all MUCH nicer than the typical honda-tech member. Can never get straighforward answers without getting flamed to death on there.
No problem man. The point of a forum is to help others. No need for all the flaming that happens on so many sites.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

TIGHT! Well drilling out the exhaust washer/baffle, ziptyinmg the oil injector thing open and removing the restrictor trans plate is no problem for me.

Might be modifying an Elite S by next Monday if all goes well.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

jonsteffen wrote:TIGHT! Well drilling out the exhaust washer/baffle, ziptyinmg the oil injector thing open and removing the restrictor trans plate is no problem for me.

Might be modifying an Elite S by next Monday if all goes well.
keep us all updated man. Pictures and what not.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

So the Elite S has a better pipe than the SR? Woah I never knew that!

It it worth it to replace my SR one with an S one? The fancy performance racing ones available I have pretty much decided against because of the cost/benefit ratio.