1/2" auto belt

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

HSPREE86
Noob
Noob

1/2" auto belt

Post by HSPREE86 »

so i went to my local canadian tire and asked the auto department for a 1/2 in auto belt for the pulley mod. and he asked if its for like a machine of some sort. so i told him its for a little vespa like thing and he said to go o aisle 16........off i go trying to find my way to aisle 16 going through bikes and camping equipemtn.....then....VIOLA!!! a whole shelf full of belts.v belts to be exact. so now my question is this......i gotta find a 1/2 inch belt for a machine?i looked at some of them and they all had different letteres and numbers and stuff so now i dont know the exact belt to bet....can anyone help me?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

find one that is the same length with the same angles but 1/2" wide instead of 10.5mm.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Some of the stores have a tool to measure belts. Measure your stock belt. Chances are it will come up something and a half inches. Go with the belt just a little shorter than the stock one.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

No it will be a little narrower than a 1/2 inch, the wider 1/2" belt gives the same effect as a shaved pulley.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Sorry, the length will be something other than even inches. Go with the belt that is the next even inch shorter than stock. If the belt measures 26 1/2 inches long get the 26 inch long belt.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

The automotive/hardware store belt won't last as long. With some digging you can get 1/2 inch belts that are the notched style of the OEM belt. My local industrial Bearing,Belt,Chain store carries them.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

slaughter83
BMX
BMX

Post by slaughter83 »

whats the easiest way to get off the belt or put the new one on? The two nuts that the belt goes over wont come off with a ratchet set.
85' NQ-50 under consruction
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

impact wrench on the front one.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

keithw wrote:impact wrench on the front one.

keithw
electric impact at that, is easiest and best approach
projects galore :nerd:
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

BELT SIZE

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

INDUSTRIAL V BELTS ARE SLIGHTLY NARROWER THAN THEIR AUTOMOTIVE FIRST COUSINS. DOES ANYONE HAVE THE EXACT NUMBER OF THE AUTOMOTIVE SIZE FOR THE 86 SPREE?
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

so getting a narrower belt gives more top end, or is that a shorter belt gives more top end?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

jonsteffen wrote:so getting a narrower belt gives more top end, or is that a shorter belt gives more top end?
Yes but only with a spree trans.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

A wider belt gives more top end. It sits higher in the fixed front pulley and lower in the back variable pulley. A shorter belt will sit the same if the front pulley and lower in the back pulley. Once again higher top speed. If the belt is too short it will sit too low in the back pulley and it will get chewed up, BTDT. It's a balancing act between engine rpm and power. If the ratio is too high your engine won't be able to pull it and you'll go slower.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

you may want to check the rpm range of those belts plus the liability clause, been there done that!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

maddog wrote:you may want to check the rpm range of those belts plus the liability clause, been there done that!
Plenty of car engines crank over 8000 rpm.