shaving the head?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

shaving the head?

Post by PimpinSpree »

I'm gonna try and make more power out of my motor, but i don't want to compromise the reliability of it. Will shaving the head make me need to worry about blowing a hole in the piston? Also, im wanting more midrange power, will shaving the head give me that, how about porting the intake. or port and polish the exhaust? any other suggestions?

thanks -Jimmy
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: shaving the head?

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

PimpinSpree wrote:I'm gonna try and make more power out of my motor, but i don't want to compromise the reliability of it. Will shaving the head make me need to worry about blowing a hole in the piston? No, just wasier starts and more top end power Also, im wanting more midrange power, will shaving the head give me that, Nohow about porting the intake.gives ya low and mid or port and polish the exhaust?Higher RPM and more everything any other suggestions?

thanks -Jimmy
Watch your CHT(buy a gauge!), watch your jets, use plenty of oil (25:1).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Shaving the head will increase your compression, may give you more power but not sure if it'll be noticeable. If the compression's too high, your electric start may not have enough power to deal with that. Naturally you'd want to run higher octane fuel and like Kenny said a CHT gauge is definitely something I'd install.

Personally I wouldn't shave the head but that's up to you. It's more likely that you'd stand to notice and gain more midrange power with a ministroke setup but the problem with ministroke cranks is that all of them are made cheaply, we break a lot of them here.

Porting a Contessa is good stuff but you need to know how to port it. Some guys have polished the exhaust port and wondered why so much carbon sticks to it. I don't know if your block is ported but that's another area you could work on. The bore's intake and boost ports needs the rough casting removed and then the exhaust port can be worked on. Keep in mind that you'll likely have to re-tune after this with jets and weights again. There's some guys I know who run stock cranks that will beat ministrokes simply because they know how to port.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

will a stroker crank fit on an se50? If that were the case, i wouldn't mind putting a dio crank in there for a little bit more stroke, but then the piston would probably hit the head
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Silly me, I didn't notice that you were using the SE50. I'm not sure if they do make stroker cranks for that but oh well. I'm used to seeing custom Dio motors in Sprees so I overstepped my comments.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

PimpinSpree wrote:will a stroker crank fit on an se50? If that were the case, i wouldn't mind putting a dio crank in there for a little bit more stroke, but then the piston would probably hit the head

stroker crank was made for dio motor only.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Watch your squish, being kitted it might already be close enough.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

From my experience with CHTs, it will defenitely tell you when you fried it. But give you and indication soon enough to prevent it, no.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

so i shaved the head. Instead of wasting 5 gallons of premix. I just added some octane booster too it, with bad results. After it got hot it started pinging, so i went to shut if off, and it had so much compression i couldn't shut it off, i pulled the spark plug boot and it did nothing. I had to stick my glove over the exhaust.

Would running premium fix my problems? I think im just gonna go back to a normal head.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

First of all octane boosters in bottles/cans don't work. When the bottle says "raises the octane 3-5 points" it means:

If you're using 87 octane gasoline, raising it by 3-5 points will yield octane of 87.3 to 87.5
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Did you raise the compression on your 65cc kit? Those piston/bores are already running at higher compression than stock. Check your compression and report back; I'm interested in what your static compression is with that shaved head. With Spree, you're raising it from around 110 to 130-140 PSI.

You can probably keep using the shaved head if you run 2 head gaskets.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
scooter trash
BMX
BMX

Post by scooter trash »

i got a stupid :?: whats a CHT :?:
ALOW1
Elite
Elite