Engine specs between years and making a big bore kit work.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Boost_Junkiee
BMX
BMX

Engine specs between years and making a big bore kit work.

Post by Boost_Junkiee »

So I have the * of Elites. A 1989 Elite SA50. I have not quite figuired out why i can't make a big bore kit work thats for an earlier or later engine and make something to allow to do so.

Anyone have pics or maybe know why this wouldn't be possible? Have pics of differences side by side or specs? I have acces to a machine shop and I am able to fab or machine anything that is needed. Maybe possibly make an adapter to allow it to be possible. But If its something that is way too difficult or costly I would rather not waste the money on a big bore kit to find out there is no way it can happen. I was guessing probably stroke diffences? piston dia. differences? head bolt location differences? Anyone:?:
1989 Honda Elite LX - My scooter isn't the only thing that smokes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You have what is commonly referred to as a "SE50" motor, any pre 94 elite bore kit will bolt up. VTcycles just got in a shipment, run a high oil mix (25:1) and it will last a long time.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Heres some info here on the differences.. http://www3.telus.net/dougsimpson/gasket.html

Also theres the trans gears that are also slightly different and the prob that you can only buy a upgraded gear set for 94+ SA50 Dio motors as well.. Though there are 1-2 guys that have machined some gears to work with the older motors.. though i believe they still used Dio stock gears and machined them to work with the SE50 motor.

FInd more info here: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5275

Am i correct saying that putting a big bore into a pre 94 motor wont do much without an upgrade to the trans gears as well?
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

eclypse wrote:Heres some info here on the differences.. http://www3.telus.net/dougsimpson/gasket.html

Also theres the trans gears that are also slightly different and the prob that you can only buy a upgraded gear set for 94+ SA50 Dio motors as well.. Though there are 1-2 guys that have machined some gears to work with the older motors.. though i believe they still used Dio stock gears and machined them to work with the SE50 motor.

FInd more info here: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5275

Am i correct saying that putting a big bore into a pre 94 motor wont do much without an upgrade to the trans gears as well?
i had a 92 elite, same motor as the poster. i did a bore kit alone. Massive take off. The thing pulled like you wouldn't believe, but the top speed hardly went up. Then i added a high speed pulley. my top speed went up like 5mph or so, and the take off was still just as good.
I never did put gears in my bike. So i do know personally know how well that works.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

big bore/variator/gears

big bore 200ish
variator/gears 120ish
stock dio gears 130ish

that adds up to about 450, and it make your scooter pin the speedo all the way down. I have the same motor. Im still getting it tuned in, but its still pretty darn fast
Boost_Junkiee
BMX
BMX

Post by Boost_Junkiee »

So I am confused. I have what is called a SE50 but my bike is a SA50? Doesn't make since but i know you have been around awhile Kenny so I will tke your word. Anyone have a link of the exact kit? Oh and thanks for the links eclypse
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

http://www.vtcycles.com/news.php THey dont have it listed so you'll have to email or call them and tell them exactly what you have and what you want.
Boost_Junkiee
BMX
BMX

Post by Boost_Junkiee »

eclypse wrote:http://www.vtcycles.com/news.php They dont have it listed so you'll have to email or call them and tell them exactly what you have and what you want.
I have heard good things of them but their website is * poor. I hope this is no reflection of the business. I will give them a call and get started.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Let me know how it goes... I was hoping to score a 94-01 Dio motor for a nice winter project. Though i didnt know someone had a bore kit for a pre 94 motor for sale. Hopefully by the time i'm ready for it they will still have one for me.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Boost_Junkiee wrote:So I am confused. I have what is called a SE50 but my bike is a SA50? Doesn't make since but i know you have been around awhile Kenny so I will tke your word. Anyone have a link of the exact kit? Oh and thanks for the links eclypse
your bike is a SA50, but since your bike is a 88-93 sa50, it had the same motor as a SE50. its just slang.

but yeah, VT is not the best when it comes to the web. but call them up and there awesome. when calling them you just tell them the year and the make and they will help you with everything. they are top of the line.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Boost_Junkiee wrote:So I am confused. I have what is called a SE50 but my bike is a SA50? Doesn't make since but i know you have been around awhile Kenny so I will tke your word. Anyone have a link of the exact kit? Oh and thanks for the links eclypse
pre-94 sa50, se50 and nb50 are all the same motor. But if you just say you have an sa50 people will automatically think your talking about a 94-01 sa50 (dio)
Boost_Junkiee
BMX
BMX

Post by Boost_Junkiee »

PimpinSpree wrote:
pre-94 sa50, se50 and nb50 are all the same motor. But if you just say you have an sa50 people will automatically think your talking about a 94-01 sa50 (dio)
Gotcha, I am still learning the slang :) Thanks for the help fellas!
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

malossi makes a big bore kit for the european vision, known in the usa as the aero 50 or elite lx. it bolted right up to my 87 aero 50, and i do believe it is the same motor as the elite lx. roselle imports in new york is one of malossi's usa distributors. http://www.malossi.com/Catalogo/Cata_Ma ... =31%206405
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

PimpinSpree wrote:big bore/variator/gears

big bore 200ish
variator/gears 120ish
stock dio gears 130ish
Keep in mind those gears will require machine work to fit them into pre '94 cases; read up on this site for details about the work involved. No big deal but they're not a drop in.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

PimpinSpree wrote:big bore/variator/gears

big bore 200ish
variator/gears 120ish
stock dio gears 130ish

that adds up to about 450, and it make your scooter pin the speedo all the way down. I have the same motor. Im still getting it tuned in, but its still pretty darn fast
dear god, i know you build up what you got, but $450?!?!?!?
1991--------Tomos Targa-