polini vs malossi

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

polini vs malossi

Post by scooterwerx »

anyone have any experience with the polini cylinder that daywot is selling on ebay for the se50/nb50? im thinking about replacing my malossi cylinder because it has some scoring in the bore, and i was wondering how the two stack up...
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Run it till it quits, run more oil, make sure your not running hot.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

polini...
malossi...
There both the same thing. polini vs malossi is a debait that has been going on since the company's started. There dead even on performance, its really just a preference thing.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

yea i know, i was running snythetic oil at 50:1, now i know better. i read the jennings articles and now will run as much as it will fire through...so i should get the oversize piston and just keep my malossi cylinder? its way down on power, especially when it gets hot...
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

those engines run hot cuz gear ratios are not offered, been there done that!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
MediumKahuna
Noob
Noob

Post by MediumKahuna »

I got a big bore kit(65cc) for my NB50 from VT that is made in Taiwan.
Its different than some of the other kits in that its the same height as the original cylinder while the rest are taller than original.
Also the cylinder is iron (like original).
Not sure about the performance 'cause not done with build yet. :D
I have 9 scooters/mopeds mostly late 80s - 90s Hondas. General 2 stroke experience but just started building Hondas
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Is your bike still running? Believe it or not most bikes tend to run better after the first seize, I wouldn't go changing it unless you really notice that something's wrong. You could simply switch to a higher premix ratio (more oil) and upjet.

If you're set on buying a bore kit, I'd say that you can't go wrong with either since there's a lot of Taiwan-made crap that won't even stack up to either Polini or Malossi.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

it does still run, but i mic'ed the bore and cylinder and the clearance is a little on the loose side, .003, and im sure the rings have had it. they've seen a few miles, not to mention the top of pikes peak! i got a 21mm carb and i just need to make a housing for a larger filter and ill see how it runs...thanks

also...i got gears from malossi and they went right in, no mods necessary...

and...the cylinder height is taller than the stock cylinder, but the distance from the wristpin to the piston crown is larger too. the squish is at .95 mm without a gasket, it was at 1.35mm with the gasket, so i just lapped the cylinder to the case and permatexed it...i am in the process of doing all the timing calculations but so far its dead on.