Aero 50 Modification Questions

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Aero 50 Modification Questions

Post by DandyDan »

Guys,

I'm considering buying an Aero 50 for my next scooter. I'd get an '85 - '87 model (so that aftermarket parts are available for it). What I'm trying to get a sense of here is the hop up potential for this scooter. My goal is to get to 45-50 mph while largely retaining the reliability, look and sound of the stock scooter.

To my knowledge the following aftermarket parts are available:
- CDI
- Variator
- Final drive gears (from Malossi in Europe)
- Big Bore kits (63 - 65cc)
- Exhausts (non-expansion chamber)
- Carbs/Intakes/Reeds
- Various clutch springs

What I would like to do is probably the 63cc big bore kit, rejet the stock carb and then gear it taller via a new variator and maybe final drive gears (or a larger rear wheel). I don't want to switch the pipe because I don't want it too loud and I'd prefer to keep the stock carb as well.

What do you guys think of this setup? I'm mainly concerned with how fast it will get me and how reliable it will be. I've worked on a lot of scooters so I'm comfortable that I can do the work properly. Do these big bore cylinders or pistons wear out fast? Or does the added power put a lot of strain on other areas like bearings? I put a lot of miles on my scooters so I need it to be decently reliable.

Also, what would an Aero 50 perform like if you just geared it a lot taller but left the core engine stock? I don't mind sacrificing a bit of acceleration for a higher top speed because I do a lot of miles outside the city. I would be awesome if I could get to 45mph or better without a big bore kit so it would be both fully reliable and fast enough.

Thanks!
Dan
www.motorscooterguide.net
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If you go to a bore kit you have to ditch the stock oiler and run premix. You can hit 45-50 with gears and a pulley kit.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

Just drop in a japan dio motor, there alot out there in canada... :D
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:If you go to a bore kit you have to ditch the stock oiler and run premix. You can hit 45-50 with gears and a pulley kit.
Sorry is this 45-50 with just the gears and pulley kit? Or the big bore as well?
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:If you go to a bore kit you have to ditch the stock oiler and run premix.
Good to know....I ditched the oil injection on my last scooter ('83 Yamaha Beluga aka Riva 80) so I'm comfortable with premixing.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

And run a lot of oil too, 25:1
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Land Speed Record Aero

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have a similar scooter to yours - 87.

I installed the Polini kit. I spent an evening smoothing and widening the intake "snorkel" with trusty Roto-Zip tool. Some time I'll get around to posting Photos.

Carb and reeds are stock, tuning ongoing.

I have a Keli HSV with 9g weights. A new belt helped the top end a little more - the old one was 14.5, new = 15.5.

It did 41 or 42 during break-in - accidentally :oops: using not much throttle. The new belt installed, in a tuck I saw estimated 44 - the needle well past the "F" on the fuel gauge. (You may need to chop the little plastic pin inside the speedometer cluster as I did... :) )

The thing seems to run 43 regardless of wind, hills whatever! Gets up there remarkably quickly, then appears to climb over the torque curve and run out of breath. I've ordered some carbon sheet material to experiment with reeds. If there's a way to enlarge them I will try, perhaps with a used cage if I can find one.

The biggest limiting factor in developing more engine power on the right side of the RPM graph may be the lack of a performance exhaust. Opening up both sides (intake + exhaust) appears to be the key to the elusive 50.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

DandyDan wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:If you go to a bore kit you have to ditch the stock oiler and run premix. You can hit 45-50 with gears and a pulley kit.
Sorry is this 45-50 with just the gears and pulley kit? Or the big bore as well?
Just a gear and pulley kit, stock bore.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
DandyDan wrote:
Just a gear and pulley kit, stock bore.
thats with a dio motor.

Dio motor has tons of power stock.

Personally, realistically, i dont thing a stock aero bore kit could do that.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Thanks Dac, i've been wanting to ask that question. Everyone says high speed pulley and gears to hit 45-50 with dio motor. I wondered why since another forum member lost all acceleration when installing gears in his se50. So, you think an R1 would help out even more?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

they don't make gears for aero so forget about that project :cry: reality sucks.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

maddog wrote:they don't make gears for aero so forget about that project :cry: reality sucks.
Just gotta know where to look, dumbass non Michigan boys dont know jack s***!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

evilone wrote:Thanks Dac, i've been wanting to ask that question. Everyone says high speed pulley and gears to hit 45-50 with dio motor. I wondered why since another forum member lost all acceleration when installing gears in his se50. So, you think an R1 would help out even more?
a dio is a completely different motor from the SE50.

My dio with a stock cylinder would spank my 92elite with a 63cc bore kit. Dio motors just have all the power you can want. I will say that for the stock cylinder 9:1 gears are better then 8.44:1 gears. But a dio will push both of them awesomely.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

aero is an nb-50, been there done that 22 yrs ago & did 65mph, and i can save general motors, get rid of those college educated idiots.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

Thanks for all the help guys. I'd prefer to get an Aero 50 over a Dio (I live in Canada) because I like the styling of the Aero 50 better and because it has a glovebox. The Dio probably is the practical choice but the styling just doesn't do it for me....it looks too much like a Jog.

I really like the Aero 80 too but I'd prefer an Aero 50 for insurance reasons, because the Aero 50 has more storage and because the Aero 80 isn't that much faster on the top end. It does have gobs of power but turning that in to a high top speed seems hard. My brother has an Aero 80 with an aftermarket 24mm carb, intake and reeds and he can do about 47-50 mph (up from 41-42 mph). Perhaps a bigger rear wheel would squeeze out a couple more mph. It's too bad you can't get an aftermarket variator for the Aero 80.

There is a non-running Aero 80 in my area in mediocre condition for sale. The guy is asking $200. I think I'd rather hold out for something in a bit nicer shape. Here's what the seller said about the scooter:

the scooter has been sitting for a year under a poly tarp.The engine was running when it was put away for the winter but it did make some pretty good noises down in the crankshaft area.As to the rest of it,the body panels and gauges are all there and in fair shape.20000 kms.Needs some serious care.