New scooter project

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

zajaco
Goped
Goped

New scooter project

Post by zajaco »

Hi everybody. I am new to this site and scooters in general but I love all things mechanical. My brother recently turned me on to scooters with his 86 Spree. Ever since the first ride I was hooked! I am looking to start a project and was hoping to get some advice from the experts. The reason I posted in the performance forum is because I will most likely have to do some heavy modding to reach the goals outlined below. (Admin, feel free to move this post if its not in the appropriate area)

Goals/Rules
1. Start with an 80's spree
2. Must do 55mph or greater. I want to make sure it can keep up with traffic in my area. Plus there is a pretty big hill that the scooter will need to conquer on my way to work
3. Look cool. What does that mean?? try and keep the original lines in tact. I think the older sprees are sexy as *!
4. Wheelie!!

I have found a few scooters in my area and I'm looking for advice on which one makes the most since for my project. Should I start out with a spree in good working order; 49cc 35mph? Or, does it make since to buy one that is intact but doesn't run since I will most likely be putting a whole new motor/carb on the project anyway?

I did find a 99 Elite SR with the DIO motor in it for $300. I thought that was kind of expensive for a non-running scooter. Not to mention its a 99 and breaks the first rule. But, if its a good deal rule 1 can be flexed.

Thanks for any advice and guidance that you are willing to offer.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

$300 DIO SR non-Running. Who wants to bet that's mine. Chicago craigslist, dude?

I just checked my e-mail, yessir, that's my 1999 you're asking about.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

~2004 Geely Fashion~
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

Yup, that's mine.
zajaco
Goped
Goped

Post by zajaco »

Eft37, I just checked my email. That is a very kind offer you shot my way. So does the elite fit into my requirements? With the DIO motor what will it take to reach 55mph?

I assume that motor & trans will fit into a donor spree?

Does it make more since to start out with a running 49cc spree?
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

Are you mechanical? I am not, hence my sale. I'm looking to pick up a better condition one, I'd like to start from a running machine rather than a fixer.
With the Dios, a gearset, speed pully & springs prolly get you to that speed, otherwise maybe those and a 70cc bore kit.
These are the things I would drop into a running machine. Assuming you're in Illinois, you'll need a titled bike, so a title Spree is needed too.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You'll be hard pressed to get 55 MPH out of a Spree engine with any amount of reliability; best case is about 40 MPH and even that's unusual. I'd pick up that Dio and a dead/undead Spree and put them together. You can part the 99 scoot if you want and get your $300 back out of the deal (or most of it) + any parts off the original Spree motor.

You can easily obtain your 55 MPH that way with mods, but even with little work will have a 45 MPH scooter that will better suit your needs.

Have fun!
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

I would think that 55 mph is a bit fast on a spree. What is the fastest anyone has ever gone consistently on a spree?
zajaco
Goped
Goped

Post by zajaco »

So after lurking around the forum I think I have an idea of what I want to do. I defiantly want to start with a running elite or aero. Then at least I know what I am getting into with the motor. I will mod that motor to get the speed I am looking for and then swap that motor into a spree at a later date.

What model and year of scooter should I be looking for? Is there another thread that explains what motors are in what scooters?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

zajaco wrote:What model and year of scooter should I be looking for? Is there another thread that explains what motors are in what scooters?
If you're handy, I'd jump on that '99. It will be the cheapest and easiest to mod, and has the most speed potential. You two can sort out the right price :D
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Ahh I wish I could find a dio like that closer.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

Here's salt in the wound: hitting your state all over later this week, but no room in the car to deliver.
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

zajaco wrote:What model and year of scooter should I be looking for? Is there another thread that explains what motors are in what scooters?
1994-2001 Elite has the DIO.
DorkoElite303
Spree
Spree

Post by DorkoElite303 »

Yeah, I would say go for it. Strip it down to the block and build from the ground up. don't worry about the panel, make it a rat bike. But once you get that thing running with a nice pipe, carb, intake, bore kit and some gears. That thing will cruise at speeds 55 with room to pass up cars.
'07 Honda Goldwing 1800.
07' Honda CBR 600rr
'97 Honda Elite- parts bike
98' Honda Elite SA50 SR(85cc plus all bells and whistles)
00' Honda Elite SA50p S
83' Honda PAII (not running)
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Gears and a pulley alone ( a $110 combo) will put that dio at 50mph.

If you starting doing bore kits, and exhaust and carb kits, your looking at crazy speeds. Just ask burnt toast, hes got a 70mph one he rides everyday.

Plus if you ever find a spree you want more you can motor swap the dio into it. The spree is lighter and you will get more speed yet!

Dude, the dio motor is like the best motor you can get for modding up and going fast. If you miss this awesome deal, your not going to find anything like it for a long time. :wink:
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.