Honda Spree Big bore (Have one thanks to tazland001)

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

playabarz
Noob
Noob

Post by playabarz »

use a #75 jet with stock air box, If you follow the directions that are given you will have no problem with breaking in your piston. And to answer your question noiseguy i havent touched the pully yet or the belt. Everything but the cylinder head is stock!
playabarz
Noob
Noob

Post by playabarz »

Did a few trial runs today. I am still using a what i call a service sprk plug. (Will get that changed out monday) However, my bike is running a consistant 30+ mph. My next step is a tune pipe however i do have a few questions on that. Should i scrap the original pipe and start fresh with a custom pipe if so i need some info on length and I.D. Thank you
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Just make sure you heat cycle the bore correctly. It's not about how far you ride, it's about proper heat cycling. This means riding the bike heating the engine, then stopping to allow it to cool. That's 1 heat cycle. Start with a short distance, then gradually increase the distance between each heat cycle. Vary the throttle a lot while you ride.
xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

Post by xsh0rty »

jus bought one of these... for no reason actually figured it would be a good project... i think my scoot has a 68? jet in it better get a bigger one. Doesnt seem terribly hard to install.. tho i havent removed the head on a scooter before in my life so we shall see.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Seems like a bigger piston wouldn't last long always being wound tight. They don't last in newer scooters with out regear and they have variators
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

I just ordered one, and it should come this week sometime. I still need a bigger jet, though idk what size jet to get(any ideas would help) but i'll let everyone know how i like it.
xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

Re: Honda Spree Big bore (Have one thanks to tazland001)

Post by xsh0rty »

any updates? how is it runnin w/ the kit?
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

He just shipped it out today. so i should have it monday-wednesday of next week!
malaka
BMX
BMX

Post by malaka »

just got the kit today. went to the local 2 stroke guy, hes going to put it in and do some port and polish work next week. i will fill you in on all the details when it is done.
right now 86 spree with 1000 miles.
upgraded cdi
drilled exhaust, that i want to get rid of to loud
.20 washer between the clutch halves for more low end juice.
does about 29-30 mph with my 300lb butt on it

one other quick question has anyone purchased or installed the high energy ignition system?
on ebay from daywot
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

malaka wrote:has anyone purchased or installed the high energy ignition system?
on ebay from daywot
Yup....not for the spree but for 2 other scooters. It did nothing. It may be higher energy but the stock coil ended up being totally adequate already. I guess it makes sense that Honda wouldn't leave significant amouts of power (and efficiency) on the table with an under powered coil. You probably only need this if you are spinning 20,000 RPMs.
Sweet site with info on Honda's and tons of other scooters: http://www.MotorScooterGuide.net
malaka
BMX
BMX

Post by malaka »

thanks for the info
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Installed the big bore kit on my Spree today. Very easy installation, it took me about an hour to bore the head for the piston. Thank god my dad works at a shop that makes camshafts!!! *Precision boring machines* also it took about 30 minuets to actually put the kit on my scoot.

I'll put everything back together today or tomorrow, and see how she runs!
ida34
Noob
Noob

Post by ida34 »

Can someone post a pic of the mods required for the piston clearance?
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

OOh. s***. i wish i would have thought about that before i put the scoot back together. Maybe if theres something that needs done i'll take a pic!
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

remember to break it in. Very impotant for longevity.