this is marc

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

toboggan
Elite
Elite

Re: this is marc

Post by toboggan »

Well, i got my kit yesterday, everything is there, and it looks extremely nice!!

One question though, for tightening the head down, is there a certain amount of torque (ft. pounds, or inch pounds) that they should be tightened to?
cjmatt
Noob
Noob

Post by cjmatt »

Can someone post up directions of what exactly needs to be machined to get the 44mm kit to work?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Toboggan axt:
One question though, for tightening the head down, is there a certain amount of torque (ft. pounds, or inch pounds) that they should be tightened to?
It's more important to be sure everything is super-squeaky clean before you assemble. Careful not to gouge the material with your gasket scraper. Check the head for straightness/flatness. If there's any doubt, a piece of emery paper taped to a glass plate serves to ensure it's true. You just "Ouija-Board" the part over the sandpaper and inspect frequently to be sure it's uniformly abraded - no low spots.

Be meticulous about washing out the holes for the head bolts in the crankcase. The holes are blind, so if there's gunk or a drop of oil in there, your torque values will be incorrect. Clean up the bolt threads too, then a light spray with oil - again be sure there's not enough to produce a drop of the stuff at the end of the bolt.

Honda-san says 9 or 11 foot-pounds. I did that and it leaked. I say just be sure to tighten in stages, using a crosswise pattern. Finger-tight, then 2 pounds, 4 pounds, six pounds, etc. I stopped at around 17 pounds. More is better until they strip/break, so do use a torque wrench.

The stock head is set up for a 41mm piston, so it may be necessary to remove material in a lathe to make the room for that 44. Nobody knows less about how to do this than me. ScooterWerx did my Aero head, and a fine job it was.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Thank you very much. I will use this information when i go install my kit tonight!!
xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

Post by xsh0rty »

did u have to pay someone to mill out ur head? if so how much was it?

Also the NQ50 service manual says the torque value should be:

Cylinder Head Torque N*m (kg*m,ft-lb) 8-12 (0.8 - 1.2, 6-9)

...so if Im reading this right it says 6-9lbs? urs leaked at 11lbs? huh?

thanks
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Milling the head cannot be performed with my tool kit, which consists of pointy sticks and a large rock. ScooterWerx did mine, perhaps he might accept yours. He will determine the price. His work is uniformly excellent, Craftsmanlike.

Flash I's Polini bore was dutifully tightened to the Factory-specified value of 9 ft-lb, having paid attention to all that I mentioned in previous post - clean threads, light mist of oil, etc. I felt like that was a ridiculously light torque value given the hardened bolts and generous thread area, but I figured Honda-san knows best. It Leaked. Perhaps the Polini gasket crushes a little more than Honda's, or the compression's higher, but for whatever reason it Leaked!

I went back and snugged it up again, starting at 8 ft.-lbs. I got almost an eighth turn of rotation on each bolt. Added 2 pounds more - Click-click. Still felt far, far away from tight. Added 2, 2 more and again to 16. Click-click. Finally at 17 I felt I had things well and truly snug. It stopped leaking after that.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I think a lot of the Japanese service manuals weren't translated perfectly and leave out the +X/X turn on head torque specs. This was happening long before the spree came out.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I forgot what the torque seeting is on the head. I been doing it so long I dont use my torque ratchet that much on my scooters any more. You should be able to find the info on line.

ty
marc
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

xshorty,
That some funny * s*** right there. A fast spree is a scary spree. hehe
The market is fat for the spree. There are suprisingly alot of sprees still running on the streets.

Glad you liked the kit.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

The cost for the boring* of my head was nothing, mad dad works at Engine Power Components in Grand Haven, MI and they have a very nice bridgeport lathe there, and we cut a little off at a time, and the we angle it in to match the angle of the curve to the top of the head.

I tightened mine to 8 ft. pnds. and so far so good, although i haven't had it running or anything, i'll watch for leaks when i go to start her up!
xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

Post by xsh0rty »

cool! cant wait to hear some results! I will have to start lookin around for an engine shop around here... and hopefully one that wont laugh at me, haha. :mrgreen:

"This for a weedwacker or somthin?"
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

they wont laugh when they take you money. hehe.
CHEVY-212010
Goped
Goped

Post by CHEVY-212010 »

thats the truth, the cheapest machine shop i could find to mill out my head was 40 bucks
'85 Spree NQ57
'81 CT70
'99 GMC Sierra
'53 Chevy 3100
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

I'll ask my dad if he'd be willing to do bore out the heads! I'll let you know. it might be a few bucks though, and if you want it shipped.
CHEVY-212010
Goped
Goped

Post by CHEVY-212010 »

starting break in tommorw, any suggestions on going about it? thanks.
'85 Spree NQ57
'81 CT70
'99 GMC Sierra
'53 Chevy 3100